Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

Been working on areas nearer White river which have very wide vistas, its taken about a week to do just this little stretch of about 1 mile.
    here the route loops around itself and climbs up and then descends back down as the line approaches Bonanza , no choice but to vegetate all the surrounds .

its dawn at Ute siding and this train of empties ( plus some full water cars and a combination car ) is about to tackle the 6% grade now its picked up helper no 5.

we're climbing up to the summit behind those distant hills.

close to the 6% stretch , its about 3.5 here

The 6% grade is only a few hundred yards here . The uintah seemed to regard extreme grades as normal, as the climb to Ute from white river also has similar inclines.

nearly at the summit and its getting a bit lighter.

and down we go into Bonanza
    Last edited by dangavel; August 8th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Certainly spectacular and a lot of work! Nicely done.

Thumbs up

Good evening Sir Dan,

I see what looks like a Rembrandt taking place here, as you continue to mature the Route..........All I can say, it looks so darn real, it is astounding.....Slow but steady at the Wheel Capt Dan Gavel.......Your exploration, your results are well known by now.......

Have a great weekend, and know your efforts with this Grand Project are priceless...........I like what I see, and I like it a lot..........

Now get some rest ole Friend.........

Hi Dan,

Ben's Bridges look great on the Route..........Almost like they where built for it.........RIP Ben, we miss you.......
    Last edited by blueodessey; August 11th, 2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Dorsey made awesome bridges......

I decided to have a drive from bridge 68 to Ute siding , about 5 miles to check for faults as i'm hoping to get this section out relatively soon . The section is now about 95% complete.
    I went a bit mad with the screen shots, so I'll do the results in batches.

There still a bit of work to do here , but i like the early morning light generated by TANE, as well as the deep shadows from the nearby hills. Love these spindly high bridges made by Ben Dorsey.

we've passed the bridge ,moving into the last section of Evacuation wash.

leaving Evacuation Wash and entering White river canyon....

navigating the section which snakes along the cliffs to the river crossing , every train on the Uintah delivered water , as there was no supply in most of the settlements on the route due to excess alkalinity in the creeks and bores.

69A was possibly Ben's last bridge , he completed it a few weeks before he fell ill........ it would have been the biggest on the route if it had been built as envisaged by the planners.

I've included this shot so you can see what has to be done to complete this bit. The cliffs in the distance have yet to be vegetated and put into their final position and i have to do those in the far distance as they are visible from the white river siding and track that loops up the gradually sloping terrain.

No stopping here at white river. Theres stretches of 6% grade ahead !
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

here we go on the climb to Ute Summit. If this section had ever been completed in real life, it could have rivaled the Cumbres and Toltec Tanglefoot curve as it curves in and around itself numerous times and has 8 bridges in 3 miles. !

the summit . just realised how crappy the cliff on the left foreground looks, gotta hide some joins. Anyway, more to come past Ute as we go back downhill.

Default the descent to Ute siding.

this section is now more or less complete.

this stretch goes up and down a bit,but drivers only face relatively sedate grades of 3.5% max . most consists would be empty coming in this direction , apart from carrying water , oil rig parts for prospecting shale oil deposits ( all unsuccessful ) and assorted freight for gilsonite mining in Bonanza and general freight and mail for Vernal and beyond.

we can see Ute siding in the distance, confusingly theres also another siding called ute,near Dragon probably have to rename them Ute north and Ute south.

Leaving Ute siding North

Tackling the 6.6 % stretch.

Approaching Bonanza Hill summit.

been working on completing the stretch from the Green River to Watson, have about a mile and a half to complete. Now apologies in advance to Mr Bentien ( who doesn't like me using any non Uintah engines) , but remember this is a FANTASY section but this engine is exclusively used between Wendella to Bonanza and was bought in the 1930s to cater for extra traffic.
    at the end in 1939,the DRGW also considered taking over the Uintah, so its highly likely in this scenario that surplus DRGW engines could have been drafted in to work on this line ...

This was the section that had to be rebuilt about a month ago as the dem wasn't showing the correct topography.

eight bridges in this section alone.

Last edited by dangavel; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:51 AM.