Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

So just saw some screenshots on the narrow guage screenshots Megathread, and had to come here to check it out. fantastic! This looks amazing
    hi, i was rjc0235, then 0235, now im rjc0235 again! if you have seen anything that is 0235 or rjc0235, im the same person

been working on the section past sewall, up to MP44 . spent several days making some cliff splines . blending in color overlays to get the cliff tones more accurate, working quite well so far.
    this section has some very deeply cut creeks and erosion channels

trying to get some basic veg and trees along side the track in so its driveable in a few months , the cliffs come last .

WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Did more creek work, making some sections fairly complete where they are more interesting such as mp 46 where a lot of different watercourses converge in one place. there is a siding here at East Vac and a mile down the road another where they loaded oil . lots of trestles on this section , they would have had the pile driver working full time shoring up the banks form erosion due to flash floods. soem creek banks here are 6 metres or more deep.

This mixed is off to Wendella and then, Baxter pass. it would have had to drop off the water wagon as it would probably not have managed to pull it up the 5% grade up the pass unaided .
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Lightbulb Pile Driver Thoughts for u?

You triggered a thought, don't know if you have any Pile drivers for Uintah, but I have one that might be of interest, "Pile Driver" by Vulcan Vers 1.5,
    Kuid 60238:27163, type "building" and you'll need to search by Author,, then by name and it shows, it should show by Key Phrase "Pile Driver" for some stupid reason it does not, but instead our Friend Ben Dorsey's 4 models show....Beats the #$%^ out of me. But that's OK Ben is great builder too.

Vulcan Authors Notes:A model of a pile driver set up to drive timber piles. The pile driver sits on the ground surface, and the rotation point is beneath the boiler. This allows the pile frame to project over water and be supported by timber framing.

The animation includes an operating donkey engine, and an operator working the clutch release levers to allow the drop hammer to drive the pile. Steam boiler sound has been added and the sound impact of the hammer on the pile is synchronized.

The height is adjustable in the new Trainz option, from 0 to +10 metres above ground.

The hammer is nominally 4 tonnes with a drop height of 1.7 metres.

It installs as Pile Driver in the Australia Scenery listing.
    =======================================
    And it looks like Ben Dorsey has 4 different models of D&RGW NG ones but they sit on Rail instead, Vers 2.4

Anyway since you were indicating you had lots of Creeks in this area, my thought was it might look cool with with this critter on the side knocking some Piles in place? I if I recall it has a little Steam Plume as it works.......

Pictures look great sir, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    You triggered a thought, don't know if you have any Pile drivers for Uintah, but I have one that might be of interest, "Pile Driver" by Vulcan Vers 1.5,
    Kuid 60238:27163, type "building" and you'll need to search by Author,, then by name and it shows, it should show by Key Phrase "Pile Driver" for some stupid reason it does not, but instead our Friend Ben Dorsey's 4 models show....Beats the #$%^ out of me. But that's OK Ben is great builder too.

Vulcan Authors Notes:A model of a pile driver set up to drive timber piles. The pile driver sits on the ground surface, and the rotation point is beneath the boiler. This allows the pile frame to project over water and be supported by timber framing.

The animation includes an operating donkey engine, and an operator working the clutch release levers to allow the drop hammer to drive the pile. Steam boiler sound has been added and the sound impact of the hammer on the pile is synchronized.

The height is adjustable in the new Trainz option, from 0 to +10 metres above ground.

The hammer is nominally 4 tonnes with a drop height of 1.7 metres.

It installs as Pile Driver in the Australia Scenery listing.
    =======================================
    And it looks like Ben Dorsey has 4 different models of D&RGW NG ones but they sit on Rail instead, Vers 2.4

Anyway since you were indicating you had lots of Creeks in this area, my thought was it might look cool with with this critter on the side knocking some Piles in place? I if I recall it has a little Steam Plume as it works.......

Pictures look great sir, thanks for sharing.
    Yes I 'm aware of bens pile drivers , would have to reskin , that's down the track a bit, but I definitely will do something with a minor washout and a shoofly track sometime. There was a major landslide in Baxter pass in I think 1924 which closed the line for months, could have a version with work going on there too, they had a steam shovel and a diesel cat shovel working on that disaster.

After a week working on the numerous creeks feeding into evacuation creek, and sorting out trestles, heights, creek banks, faulty topography and god knows what else further up evacuation creek, I needed a change, so I jumped a few miles up the canyon tor Dragon and did some fixing of the track, the hotel and the environs near all these items. Also removed the old freight house ( which burnt down around 1911 or so ) and replaced it with the smaller version.
    There is still much to do at dragon, but at least I have now more or less completed the trackwork to a better standard and fixed a few kinks in the grades near the trestle.

Firstly tho, five miles up the canyon , here's a shot of 0-6-2 no 21 passing Urado.
    This was a short 2 car spur that served a budding oil company of the same name . The company was supposed to run a five mile branch line to the oil field, but that never eventuated. I cannot work out where the actual well was located or whether it was a shale oil project , of which more then a few were attempted back in the 20s and 30s, they were not economical then but the area is littered with them now.

Back at Dragon earlier in the day the daily passenger train is resting , cliffs at the back are a hint of things to come

So far i have not seen a single track stop block on the Uintah , whether they just didn't bother to use them or not .... they did things their way :-)

Overview of the yard,ticket office to the left, icehouse to the right and behind it the hotel ,which was a pain to construct as it has a series of terraces for its lawns .
    The grass of which is much too green, I'll need to reskin if possible as there was so little water around that its grass covering was less than 100%. by this time ( 1930 or so ) it had probably burnt down as after the black dragon mine closed, Dragon went into a slow decline and the hotel was neglected and boarded up .

All of this isn't finished yet, but this is an indication of whats coming when the route is hopefully released.
    West side lumber Shay 12 is now masquerading as Uintah number 5 , its unlikely that the Shays were active in this are at this time as they were so slow , they were usually at Atchee as helpers and for shunting, but one might have been based on this portion of the line. Unfortunately there are no known photos of the tipple at Dragon, we had dimensions, so Ben made it basing it on the tipple at Atchee.
    Finally two shots of a new item ,which has been made by GMAN 347 who has made a number of great items for the Rollins Pass route. GMAN kindly offered to step into the breach and make a few items whilst Ben is having treatment ( although he assures me he is still working on an animated gilsonite loader at Pigeon toe spur when he feels up to it ) .
    So here's a couple of shots of the new gilsonite hoist and hoist house GMAN has made , this isn't animated but is a very nice piece of work and much appreciated.

this hoist is well over 100 ft high, gmans also going to try to make a spline for the gilsonite shaft with a ground texture to cover up the shaft hole, if he can do it it will be a weight off my mind as so far i have not been able to do a good job on this aspect of modeling the gilsonite diggings.
    Last edited by dangavel; February 7th, 2018 at 06:23 PM.

You are certainly accumulating a very nice collection of locomotives. I am looking forward to your next update.

The third shot in the last set shows, on the left, how well the vegetation is progressing.
    Last edited by normhart; February 7th, 2018 at 09:23 PM.
    California is not turning back. Not now, not ever!

Quote Originally Posted by normhart View Post
    You are certainly accumulating a very nice collection of locomotives. I am looking forward to your next update.

The third shot in the last set shows, on the left, how well the vegetation is progressing.
    ah, but you haven't seen all the empty bits :-)

its getting there , thank goodness for caddylars shrub #1d small, it allows me to fill an area very quickly, the only downside is , I then have to go and manaully drop every single item down below ground level, as unless the terrain is flat, parts of the shrubs are floating in mid air.

As for locos, there may be more coming which are the real McCoy. Someone who is rather a good builder says they are going to make some of the Uintah 2-8-2's and shays, they have the drawings and dimensions. but i'm not counting on it, life has a habit of getting in the way of these things, be nice if even one of these fine machines did eventuate, but i'm not holding my breath :-)

United States of America, Illinois, Palatine
    Blog Entries

Very nicely done there Dan, nice to see your making good progress, keep up the good work.

Now that GMAN has completed the big hoists and loader I decided to get stuck into fleshing out the giant metropolis that is Bonanza :-)

official population nowadays is ONE, but even then, you'd be lucky to assemble 150 full time residents .

Some folks just find the hustle and bustle of the big gilsonite town too much and flee to other burgs in search of some peace and quiet. In order to do that, they have to catch the morning mixed, calling at sprawling towns such as Watson ,Dragon and all points South .

early 'kiss and ride" carpark.....

just a couple of hundred feet away no 51 is getting ready to pull a heavy load of gilsonite to Mack, even this monster could not pull the entire load over Baxter pass,the train would be split in sections at Wendella, as much due to braking concerns as anything else, as descending down 7.5 grades led to a number of runaways and some fatalities.
    At Cowboy about 7 miles futher north, shay number 5 is preparing soem more gilsonite loads for the larger freights that are assembled at Bonanza and Little Cowboy

as usual ,nobody ever seem to clean up after themselves at these mine sites.

meanwhile in surveyor, i'm playing around with the new gilsonite shaft spline that GMAN has created,so far it looks very promising... this is at Little Cowboy mine
    The biggest issue is the size of the shaft Trainz allows one to make, digholes are not an option as the mesh underneath doesn't run parallel to the direction of the shaft and the topography tool makes a hole that's just a bit too big , had a lot of trouble getting the loader to be high enough due to the hole nearby, but this is a big improvement over what I was using before , so many thanks to GMAN.
    Last edited by dangavel; February 12th, 2018 at 07:47 PM.

Gman is a great collaborator.
    I'm glad that Gman helps you make the most of your route that I always find fascinating.

TRAINZITALIA INTERNATIONAL Staff Member
    White Pass & Sherman Hill
    Rollins Pass Team Leader
    West from Denver Team Leader

Jango could u read ur pms please as i sent one just now

Quote Originally Posted by jango View Post
    Gman is a great collaborator.
    I'm glad that Gman helps you make the most of your route that I always find fascinating.

He's doing a great job on some of the toughest items on the route, Gilsonite mines present a fairly unique type of mining that's not been tackled in trainz as far as I am aware. Very narrow trenches are hard to construct, but the trench spline should do the trick.

I like to get a bit of variety as doing the same task day after day is tiring and can be depressing if its very repetitive. So I've shot off to another part of the route near the White river and the stretch from there to Watson, which is around about 8 miles long .

I've bunged in more riverbank splines and begun to recolor the surrounds to blend it in and vegetate on top to disguise any joins . However,I've also done a couple of miles near Bonanza as well, making track final alignments/adjustments and adding some basic vegetation , blending in the surrounds to the creek and making it reasonably realistic .

I intend it try to do this to the whole route in the next few months if my arm holds up and then when completed to that standard, i'll ask for a few beta testers to see if they can point out any really bad track faults or point out bits I've missed . PM me if interested.

Here's a shot outside Bonanza , parts of this line have 5% grades and the gilsonite would have been a heavy load for anything other than this 2-6-6-2.This engine is on the downhill track heading towards White River

I've been experimenting with merging various cliffs splines to convey the 150 ft high cliffs at the junction of the White river and Evacuation creek , its getting there , but I have to generate more differing textures for each spline as there's some repetition. I imagine chucking in too many may be a strain on some graphics cards but my elderly 2gb gtx 680 seems to be able to play this ok so far on lower settings.
    Below : view from across the river of the train coming from Evacuation Creek heading to the White River Bridge and water stop

still work to do here .

its impossible to avoid including wide vistas here, the country is so big , if you cut bits out it looks awful, so this part of the route is quite a number of boards wide as the railroad runs alongside the river, then across to Bonanza , the zig zag means I have to include the areas with no track as they are visible as the route climbs up to several summits and back down again .

Thumbs up

Good Morning Sir dangavel,

Pictures look so natural, especially the one with the Sun in it...........!

Whats really cool that I notice, Vegetation, Texture all change as you look in different areas, just as you would expect and we know that took quite some time to create, Kudos.

Keep up the fabulous work.