Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

Thumbs up Pictures looking really good there my friend......So realistic..........

Good Evening Sir Dan,

Been real busy upgrading to TRS19 this last 2 weeks, along with changing out to a Gaming Laptop, my old one is dying, it's time has finally come, quite a different animal in all aspects......

Just wanted to wish you a belated New Year, and I have read your latest comments on the issues your facing with Route Construction.

I think there is quite a fair amount of us who do realize how much effort this Route encompasses when it comes to Color, Plants, small details etc. hang in there, it takes lots of time when the ATTENTION TO DETAIL is highly important as noted in your remarks.

It might be that you need to take a bit of Pause for a while to just refresh in your efforts to reach that point of Conclusion where you feel the Route or parts of it could be released to the group. Only you can make that decision Dan, and we as a group need to respect and be patient with your efforts to get to point of completion your seeking..........

I bid you a good weekend, and these last several shots of your Route are just so vivid with Colors and natural Scenery it truly exemplifies the work of Great Artist Sir Dan................Night Now..........
    Last edited by blueodessey; January 12th, 2019 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blueodessey View Post
    Good Evening Sir Dan,

Been real busy upgrading to TRS19 this last 2 weeks, along with changing out to a Gaming Laptop, my old one is dying, it's time has finally come, quite a different animal in all aspects......

Just wanted to wish you a belated New Year, and I have read your latest comments on the issues your facing with Route Construction.

I think there is quite a fair amount of us who do realize how much effort this Route encompasses when it comes to Color, Plants, small details etc. hang in there, it takes lots of time when the ATTENTION TO DETAIL is highly important as noted in your remarks.

It might be that you need to take a bit of Pause for a while to just refresh in your efforts to reach that point of Conclusion where you feel the Route or parts of it could be released to the group. Only you can make that decision Dan, and we as a group need to respect and be patient with your efforts to get to point of completion your seeking..........

I bid you a good weekend, and these last several shots of your Route are just so vivid with Colors and natural Scenery it truly exemplifies the work of Great Artist Sir Dan................Night Now..........
    cheers blue,yeah i had a look at your install of 2019 and glad to see you have a nice asus rog to tackle said install, i had one of those ( an older model ) and they are good machines.
    thanks for your kind words. My biggest concern is the 20 odd miles of wide canyon from mcandrews to dragon which will take a long time to complete due to the nature of the cliffs in that area and huge numbers of trees to install, , so I've made an executive decision to release the section from rainbow junction to bonanza once i have the cliff sections available to do the white river area properly. This is a much less formidable task , around about 25 miles and i have quite a lot of it done already , only two towns , but a lot of shunting and mines to work with .
    It will give me a feeling that i can possibly complete this in the relatively near future and i wont feel quite so overwhelmed as i do occasionally when contemplating another 60 miles to do overall- all that sage !!!!!!!
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Cool

Copy that Sir Dan,

60 miles is quite a lengthy amount of detail, what's the word here? Exceedingly tedious and maybe even nail biting sometimes.............I think your Executive decision is spot on.......That will give you a couple of important anchor points......

Your following will having something to examine, play with, and hopefully give you some qualified feed back, which I see as most valuable in your considerable undertaking of the next 60 mile corridor.

And this breaks things into smaller manageable chunks where might be able to release more sections as you complete the areas............If so desired of course.

As per my ROG, I'm madly in love with it, so awesome over my old one........However and this just me being too picky, I may be my own worst enemy.........Sometimes...

After doing some research on this one's specs.....I'm considering doubling the Ram on this baby from 16-32, not right away, but maybe in a month or too, after I pay XMAS Bills etc.

And hoping my Samsung SSD will replace the the Drive D which is either a 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM drive, I haven't exactly found out what I have.....

I know Primary (C:\) Drive is an M-2 Style, which I didn't know existed, basically just a card with fast Ram Chips on it.......Not a squared covered drive like my Samsung in Old HP Envy......It's age is one year old, so it is still viable to use, supposed to be good for 5 yr's.....And with Magician Software on it, it would run the Shorts off one in here now.........

Have a blessed Sunday Sir Dan..........Enjoy your week ahead........

Copy that Sir Dan,

60 miles is quite a lengthy amount of detail, what's the word here? Exceedingly tedious and maybe even nail biting sometimes.............I think your Executive decision is spot on.......That will give you a couple of important anchor points......

Your following will having something to examine, play with, and hopefully give you some qualified feed back, which I see as most valuable in your considerable undertaking of the next 60 mile corridor.

And this breaks things into smaller manageable chunks where might be able to release more sections as you complete the areas............If so desired of course.

As per my ROG, I'm madly in love with it, so awesome over my old one........However and this just me being too picky, I may be my own worst enemy.........Sometimes...

After doing some research on this one's specs.....I'm considering doubling the Ram on this baby from 16-32, not right away, but maybe in a month or too, after I pay XMAS Bills etc.

And hoping my Samsung SSD will replace the the Drive D which is either a 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM drive, I haven't exactly found out what I have.....

I know Primary (C:\) Drive is an M-2 Style, which I didn't know existed, basically just a card with fast Ram Chips on it.......Not a squared covered drive like my Samsung in Old HP Envy......It's age is one year old, so it is still viable to use, supposed to be good for 5 yr's.....And with Magician Software on it, it would run the Shorts off one in here now.........

Have a blessed Sunday Sir Dan..........Enjoy your week ahead........
    i think you would get more bang for your buck by getting a gpu with more vram rather than more ram , i had 32 gig on my rog and still had a slight stutter, only had the 4gb card. Dunno if it can upgraded, but 8gb is the go if you can afford it.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

I have got seriously stuck into the 'fake ' railway , the stretch between Watson and White river , which was projected but never constructed due to a recession in 1921. This is the stretch near white river mp 67-68 and no doubt my "friend" Josh will complain about me using a non standard URY engine.

this section was where the terrain had to be extensively remodeled as the DEM was not precise enough to show undulations in the terrain .

there are several issues with trying to make this section, the biggest one being, its SO remote, there are no roads near most of the canyon, and even where there is one crossing the canyon, there are no color photos to give an idea of the rocks, i have a few frames from a speeded up video taken from youtube where the bridge crosses the canyon, but its fuzzy and not much help.

So i have to used google earth, but that doesn't give a good idea of the rock and vegetation colors , normally one can find a few images taken by hikers, but nobody seems to go there ever, its most frustrating .

I imagine that eventually I will have to replace the rocks I've used as I expect I'll find out these are the wrong colors, what i have used are from further down the canyon , near dragon, with some color changes as i think its greyer rock in this area .

not completed but much more sparse vegetation here ,it gets VERY dry in this area , so it will be easier to apply veg and complete the deed, thousands of sage but not as many as near American thank goodness , as it can be a tedious job placing each one. .

overall tho, i'm glad i made this section as it gave the late Ben Dorsey an opportunity to make lots of lovely bridges that were a lot more sophisticated that the majority of real Uintah spans.These were some of the last he ever made and he had a ball doing them . However if anyone thinks they are too out of place with the overall Uintah ethos then it would be possible to substitute them with standard trestle splines . My scenario in my alternative universe is that prices remained high and this allowed the significant investment in building the extension , instead of closing in 1939 WW11 boosted the local economy, leading to a boom in gilsonite demand and prices , in addition oil shale exploration in the area happened years before it actually took off. These alternative universes are very handy, now all i need is one where trainz works perfectly and has better terrain tools :-).

unlike a model, you cant really trim down the boards here as it would look awful, but it does mean a lot of extra texturing on distant mountains.

in this shot for instance, its not an option to remove the far distant hills as they are part of the white river and the railroad runs alongside that for a mile or so.
    Last edited by dangavel; January 16th, 2019 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    So I was having a read on my phone (small screen) at work, noticed about how you said there were not many photos, but when I saw this screenshot I thought it was a photo! Such natural looking terrain. And I think that the bridges look fantastic, When you are doing a route that is almost entirely your work and research, with very little info out there, you can make the history, that is what the professionals do
    hi, i was rjc0235, then 0235, now im rjc0235 again! if you have seen anything that is 0235 or rjc0235, im the same person

i wasn't happy with the rock splines in this section as they are too dark, bringing them in as splines tends to change their color and they were too grey,so I changed them all over to other rock faces I have from another part of the route., its hard to work out rock colors as so often they look different depending on the weather, bright sun brings out colors more and dull days can make rocks look grey, I think the new rocks tend to blend in better with the earth colors. i did manage to find one photo of the canyon taken back in the 50s when they built the bridge, but it was no use for selecting colors as its black and white . grrrr !
    however this still I have from a poor quality time lapse movie from the same location shows that the surrounding rock is brown /red so i think that I'm getting closer to what is needed , greyish brown near the track on the right and predominantly brown in the canyon, just wish i had good some photos taken in this area !!!!! Anyone in Utah fancy a road trip :-)

old rock splines

new spline

old spline

I've found that the cliffs with the less obvious markings on their faces don't look so repetitive, shadow patterns are something to avoid if possible as well as very differently colored rocks. , anyway , if these don't suit I'll change them over again although I'll have to make a new set of small loose rocks to go with them. i made another 38 splines to go in the white river area, trouble is with so many to chose from its hard to make choices....... i try to make sets which blend together but its not always easy to do.
    Last edited by dangavel; January 25th, 2019 at 01:10 AM.

Lightbulb I think Google Earth might just be the answer.....

Good Evening Sir Dan......

Was just reading your message about Travel to Utah......I got an idea for you to try, I think it might work, well, it's worth a try anyway........

R U familiar with Google Earth Platform, where you download Google Earth, and with it, if I recall, and other more learned folks here might be able to advise better than me.....

U should be able to load it on your computer, open it up, and virtually go anywhere on the Planet to see the Terrain.......

Here is the Link and from what I see the Software is Free........

https://www.google.com/search?client...q=Google+Earth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth

https://earth.google.com/web/

https://support.google.com/earth/?hl=en#topic=7364880

Let me know what you think????

Good Evening Sir Dan......

Was just reading your message about Travel to Utah......I got an idea for you to try, I think it might work, well, it's worth a try anyway........

R U familiar with Google Earth Platform, where you download Google Earth, and with it, if I recall, and other more learned folks here might be able to advise better than me.....

U should be able to load it on your computer, open it up, and virtually go anywhere on the Planet to see the Terrain.......

Here is the Link and from what I see the Software is Free........

https://www.google.com/search?client...q=Google+Earth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Earth

https://earth.google.com/web/

https://support.google.com/earth/?hl=en#topic=7364880

Let me know what you think????
    Hi blue, i use google earth pro , its what I use all the time, but its not a good indication of color of soils etc , or types of rocks ,or vegetation, at one time they had images that visitors had posted from the areas as well but the photohosting service was discontinued so they are no longer available, it would be almost impossible to do this without google earth, but it has its limitations.

Mapillary might work.

Cheerio John

Quote Originally Posted by johnwhelan View Post
    Mapillary might work.

Cheerio John
    Had a look, thanks for the suggestion, somehow i doubt there's any images up on there, I suppose I could create an account but its such a remote area I doubt I'd find anything, most roads aren't even named in google pro and dragon road only passes through in one spot which i already have a picture of ( its just fuzzy ) . i'm sure sooner or later someone will post something up on youtube I check there and vimeo about once a week in hope and I check flickr a lot too. .

Talking

Good Day sir Dan,,

Good to know that about Google Earth limitations etc,

I'm looking at trying to do something connected with the Skunk Train Route in Northern California.....It's an Old Logging Railroad up there that was next to the Skunk Route if I understand it correctly back in 1885.....Narrow Gauge of course.........Amazing what those folks did with NG stuff at the time.........!!!

https://www.american-rails.com/cllg.html

I want to do a DEM MAP some day of that area, but I need to learn how to use DEM MAPS, I understand how they work, I just have never used the Software, it's one of the BUCKET LISTS items I want to do in the future....

Also, I double sent you a PM message this AM, by mistake,,,,,just ignore and delete it,,,,sorry,,,,,,It looked like I hadn't sent it, but that's normal way it looks when you view your messages........

this is the new rock spline scheme in part of Evacuation canyon i've not featured for a while. all this rock was grey and I didn't think it fitted right.
    Approaching bridge 68a

Between 68A and 68B

68B

Looking towards White river and Bonanza

Almost makes you happy how robust the TRAINZ content manager is, and how "easy" it is to update a piece of content. it may not be perfect,the the KUID system and the revision numbers must help an awful lot. Even the ability to clone a 36" wagon, then put a 24" bogie on it is a dream come true.

However amazing tools are only useful when the person using them uses all their skill and talent, and boy does my jaw drop every time. It's the best part of Sunday when I get the forum notification email

Did you just update the texture file in the existing splines, or use the "replace" feature in the surveyor?
    hi, i was rjc0235, then 0235, now im rjc0235 again! if you have seen anything that is 0235 or rjc0235, im the same person

Quote Originally Posted by rjc0235 View Post
    Almost makes you happy how robust the TRAINZ content manager is, and how "easy" it is to update a piece of content. it may not be perfect,the the KUID system and the revision numbers must help an awful lot. Even the ability to clone a 36" wagon, then put a 24" bogie on it is a dream come true.

However amazing tools are only useful when the person using them uses all their skill and talent, and boy does my jaw drop every time. It's the best part of Sunday when I get the forum notification email

Did you just update the texture file in the existing splines, or use the "replace" feature in the surveyor?
    I have so many cliff splines now I have to label them with area , type of rock and color details , each spline has 7 variations at least ( have to do that many for each as you never know what angles are needed for a cliff ) and i'm afraid to change any or delete them entirely in case I've used one in a far flung corner of the route sxi months ago which i've totally forgotten and I'll find one of those dreaded "missing spline" indicators ( which happened to me when i moved from sp1 to sp2 , took months to fix it ), so I do a bulk changeover where I can , not always possible if using multiple splines that are piled on top of each other, but generally its a fairly easy process and i keep a spare version of the route with the old splines in place so i can revert back if I want.

I'll be posting some images of white river soon which is coming along better now I have rocks that are closer in color to the area, there are some very high cliffs there that are hard to achieve, I had a lot of reddish cliff splines completed but their color is from another part of utah and it didn't look right, the ones I've made recently are from the white river in this particular area and they are a lot better , although still not quite right. Finding rocks that don't look cruddy when you repeat them is a challenge....