Progress on the Uintah RW

been working again on dragon canyon and mine , progress is fairly slow as I had to recolor and tweak a lot of cliff splines so they match more effectively and today I decided i had to use digholes for the narrow gilsonite trench ,as I just could not fit the terrain without it, surprisingly, I got it to work , so quite pleased with myself and now I know it work on the other gilsonite trenches as well .
JqujAYz.jpg

This section has still got to be worked on. But I've spent about 20 hours on just this one item ,so now I have a better solution I am quite chuffed. Pity the poor horses and drivers that had to navigate full wagons of gilsonite down this slope....
Kx4h7KN.jpg

view from above Black Dragon mine , by 1928 the old boilerhouse had gone , probably the cabins had too but I've left one or two for the mine workers to have a cup of coffee in shelter. originally cabins lined both sides of this part of the canyon . The water pipe line and tanks existed so I've left this in place to service the engines and any water requirements needed for the mine.
0xxgDBc.jpg

up close, the remains of the boilerhouse , which are still visible today .I've stuck in an extra gilsonite loader just for fun !
MtW0Z0O.jpg

AyLVYMn.jpg

QzWtDfZ.jpg
view from the cemetery,( which is also still in place ) blending in the trench for the mine is , as they say , a b-itch ! I've still got to cover it with stuff so it looks part of the terrain !
dV7W1zW.jpg

tipple by the late ( and greatly missed ) Ben Dorsey

Last edited:
worked on another area having received new trench splines from Paul , firstly Thimble rock mines which is fiendishly hard to do as the trenches are so close to the line . view towards rainbow from the thimble rock loader
y0pSH0t.jpg

tVkoV0n.jpg

the first curve where the track is only a few feet from the mine trench.
0Qslo2A.jpg

Negotiating curve 1

ozx77ri.jpg

just past the first curve and entering the second . thimble rock and two gilsonite trenches very close to each other.
lFPf6J5.jpg

rounding the second curve , Paul is working on a new spline to fill this section as the rocks don't work very well on the side.
6QClehN.jpg

the track descends down a 4 percent grade and then climbs again up another towards Rainbow

rainbow

Ive been working on the town of rainbow which is nearly completed apart from minor details.
HqUTEWa.jpg

view of the Rainbow Wye form the water tower.
3zekAeJ.jpg

the town and the view towards Pigeon toe spur and American siding
SQMgBhW.jpg

rainbow gilsonite mine

DNW6j0V.jpg

rainbow school

03XLzd1.jpg

leaving Rainbow

Returned to china wall canyon , added new mines and loaders as well as more vegetation and rocks , heres a few new shots that look pretty ordinary compared to 2019, but I wont be moving there until i'm sure most assets will work in the new version.
iT3XNQg.jpg

ojkzGEc.jpg

near China Wall
3MU8m0k.jpg

near Augustine mine, unfortunately in this late afternoon light some of the sage assets used give a white edge to their leaves ....:-(
zBGHKM2.jpg

Colorow/Barlow mine , the biggest on the branch and an absolute swine to model :) big thank to Malcolm for his great range of reskinnable rocks and Colorado71 for all his great pinyon Pines and junipers.

Last edited:
Continued to work on Rainbow branch, this time near American, this are is quite lush, but in just another mile downhill to the west the trees disappear and sparse sage takes over. . Here's number 51 shunting
1OrQ60N.jpg

sbsqk5m.jpg

a8tDBVL.jpg

Many thanks to Narrowgauge who has made me a nifty little culvert spline which we can see in the foreground, this will save a huge amount of installation work :)

Its a big mistake to look back on what one has done and see that there is SO much more to do. If I'd have realized just how many sagebrush I'd have to apply I don't think i ever would have taken it on, its demoralizing to realize that after two weeks I've still got about half the work to do on this short stretch Of about a mile and a half. The worst aspect is each sage has to be lowered so it hits the ground, after taking these shots I realized there are still big stretches of plants that are in hanging the air, and yet I've
Cb3kp8X.jpg

gone over this section a few times and thought I'd got most of them .
oh well, I think I need a change of activity, perhaps i'll revisit some of the towns and see if they need fixing , anything rather than doing sage yet again for another week.:)

cNokKC1.jpg

jBrkOXV.jpg

e8X1KOt.jpg

JbgUsIF.jpg

SBRkFiu.jpg

e6L7fGV.jpg

I've purchased 2019 but cannot handle the stress of transferring everything over to the new install and checking to see if all the latest modifications I've made to assets recently have been moved over or not, might do it when I feel a bit more motivated.

Do you know that a 04, 06, 09, 10, 12 route will run in TS19 ... everyone wants to jump right off the old trusty rugged ship, and get right onboard the brand new problematic leaky, shinier boat ... Newer, is not necessarily better than older versions ... When someone comes out with a TS19 only asset, it completely cuts off all use, for those who can not afford a expensive video card, or a new expensive top of the line PC ... One can build a loco in TS10, or TS12, and it will look just as good in T:ANE and TS19

Please release the route in TANE, 2019 is a long way away.

Harold
It’s a very long way from being completed, at least a year down the track unless I just release a section such as the main mines which would be the most interesting part to drive ( part from baxter pass ) but even that will be a long way off. I won’t be constructing it in 2019,just checking it out in there. I dislike the layout in the new release anyway , and no desire to be learn anything new at present .

Your effort has paid off, some of those shots look incredible, though knowing each piece of vegetation had to be placed individually brings back memories of all the routes i never finished and all the hand strain!

just been working on these cliffs just outside the town of Watson - all under construction
LHhdQoN.jpg

GRyoojG.jpg

section under construction past watson, the same cliffs from the opposite angle. , the wagon road ran next to the creek, i could do with a better dirt rd here, been thinking how i could add wagon ruts, but its hard to find images to create a texture with .

Pictures looking really good there my friend......So realistic..........

;) Good Evening Sir Dan,

Been real busy upgrading to TRS19 this last 2 weeks, along with changing out to a Gaming Laptop, my old one is dying, it's time has finally come, quite a different animal in all aspects......

Just wanted to wish you a belated New Year, and I have read your latest comments on the issues your facing with Route Construction.

:D I think there is quite a fair amount of us who do realize how much effort this Route encompasses when it comes to Color, Plants, small details etc. hang in there, it takes lots of time when the ATTENTION TO DETAIL is highly important as noted in your remarks.

It might be that you need to take a bit of Pause for a while to just refresh in your efforts to reach that point of Conclusion where you feel the Route or parts of it could be released to the group. Only you can make that decision Dan, and we as a group need to respect and be patient with your efforts to get to point of completion your seeking..........

I bid you a good weekend, and these last several shots of your Route are just so vivid with Colors and natural Scenery it truly exemplifies the work of Great Artist Sir Dan................Night Now..........

Last edited:
;) Good Evening Sir Dan,

Been real busy upgrading to TRS19 this last 2 weeks, along with changing out to a Gaming Laptop, my old one is dying, it's time has finally come, quite a different animal in all aspects......

Just wanted to wish you a belated New Year, and I have read your latest comments on the issues your facing with Route Construction.

:D I think there is quite a fair amount of us who do realize how much effort this Route encompasses when it comes to Color, Plants, small details etc. hang in there, it takes lots of time when the ATTENTION TO DETAIL is highly important as noted in your remarks.

It might be that you need to take a bit of Pause for a while to just refresh in your efforts to reach that point of Conclusion where you feel the Route or parts of it could be released to the group. Only you can make that decision Dan, and we as a group need to respect and be patient with your efforts to get to point of completion your seeking..........

I bid you a good weekend, and these last several shots of your Route are just so vivid with Colors and natural Scenery it truly exemplifies the work of Great Artist Sir Dan................Night Now..........

cheers blue,yeah i had a look at your install of 2019 and glad to see you have a nice asus rog to tackle said install, i had one of those ( an older model ) and they are good machines.
thanks for your kind words. My biggest concern is the 20 odd miles of wide canyon from mcandrews to dragon which will take a long time to complete due to the nature of the cliffs in that area and huge numbers of trees to install, , so I've made an executive decision to release the section from rainbow junction to bonanza once i have the cliff sections available to do the white river area properly. This is a much less formidable task , around about 25 miles and i have quite a lot of it done already , only two towns , but a lot of shunting and mines to work with .
It will give me a feeling that i can possibly complete this in the relatively near future and i wont feel quite so overwhelmed as i do occasionally when contemplating another 60 miles to do overall- all that sage !!!!!!!

Copy that Sir Dan,

60 miles is quite a lengthy amount of detail, what's the word here? Exceedingly tedious and maybe even nail biting sometimes.............I think your Executive decision is spot on.......That will give you a couple of important anchor points......

Your following will having something to examine, play with, and hopefully give you some qualified feed back, which I see as most valuable in your considerable undertaking of the next 60 mile corridor.

And this breaks things into smaller manageable chunks where might be able to release more sections as you complete the areas............If so desired of course.

As per my ROG, I'm madly in love with it, so awesome over my old one........However and this just me being too picky, I may be my own worst enemy.........Sometimes...:hehe:

After doing some research on this one's specs.....I'm considering doubling the Ram on this baby from 16-32, not right away, but maybe in a month or too, after I pay XMAS Bills etc.

And hoping my Samsung SSD will replace the the Drive D which is either a 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM drive, I haven't exactly found out what I have.....

I know Primary (C:\) Drive is an M-2 Style, which I didn't know existed, basically just a card with fast Ram Chips on it.......Not a squared covered drive like my Samsung in Old HP Envy......It's age is one year old, so it is still viable to use, supposed to be good for 5 yr's.....And with Magician Software on it, it would run the Shorts off one in here now.........

Have a blessed Sunday Sir Dan..........Enjoy your week ahead........

Copy that Sir Dan,

60 miles is quite a lengthy amount of detail, what's the word here? Exceedingly tedious and maybe even nail biting sometimes.............I think your Executive decision is spot on.......That will give you a couple of important anchor points......

Your following will having something to examine, play with, and hopefully give you some qualified feed back, which I see as most valuable in your considerable undertaking of the next 60 mile corridor.

And this breaks things into smaller manageable chunks where might be able to release more sections as you complete the areas............If so desired of course.

As per my ROG, I'm madly in love with it, so awesome over my old one........However and this just me being too picky, I may be my own worst enemy.........Sometimes...:hehe:

After doing some research on this one's specs.....I'm considering doubling the Ram on this baby from 16-32, not right away, but maybe in a month or too, after I pay XMAS Bills etc.

And hoping my Samsung SSD will replace the the Drive D which is either a 4200 RPM or 5400 RPM drive, I haven't exactly found out what I have.....

I know Primary (C:\) Drive is an M-2 Style, which I didn't know existed, basically just a card with fast Ram Chips on it.......Not a squared covered drive like my Samsung in Old HP Envy......It's age is one year old, so it is still viable to use, supposed to be good for 5 yr's.....And with Magician Software on it, it would run the Shorts off one in here now.........

Have a blessed Sunday Sir Dan..........Enjoy your week ahead........

i think you would get more bang for your buck by getting a gpu with more vram rather than more ram , i had 32 gig on my rog and still had a slight stutter, only had the 4gb card. Dunno if it can upgraded, but 8gb is the go if you can afford it.

I have got seriously stuck into the 'fake ' railway , the stretch between Watson and White river , which was projected but never constructed due to a recession in 1921. This is the stretch near white river mp 67-68 and no doubt my "friend" Josh will complain about me using a non standard URY engine.
tdUYVa7.jpg

this section was where the terrain had to be extensively remodeled as the DEM was not precise enough to show undulations in the terrain .
xUYe0FJ.jpg

there are several issues with trying to make this section, the biggest one being, its SO remote, there are no roads near most of the canyon, and even where there is one crossing the canyon, there are no color photos to give an idea of the rocks, i have a few frames from a speeded up video taken from youtube where the bridge crosses the canyon, but its fuzzy and not much help.
hZTERGe.jpg

So i have to used google earth, but that doesn't give a good idea of the rock and vegetation colors , normally one can find a few images taken by hikers, but nobody seems to go there ever, its most frustrating .
PlufPzv.jpg

I imagine that eventually I will have to replace the rocks I've used as I expect I'll find out these are the wrong colors, what i have used are from further down the canyon , near dragon, with some color changes as i think its greyer rock in this area .
3OihMNT.jpg

not completed but much more sparse vegetation here ,it gets VERY dry in this area , so it will be easier to apply veg and complete the deed, thousands of sage but not as many as near American thank goodness , as it can be a tedious job placing each one. .
KdLN0cT.jpg

overall tho, i'm glad i made this section as it gave the late Ben Dorsey an opportunity to make lots of lovely bridges that were a lot more sophisticated that the majority of real Uintah spans.These were some of the last he ever made and he had a ball doing them . However if anyone thinks they are too out of place with the overall Uintah ethos then it would be possible to substitute them with standard trestle splines . My scenario in my alternative universe is that prices remained high and this allowed the significant investment in building the extension , instead of closing in 1939 WW11 boosted the local economy, leading to a boom in gilsonite demand and prices , in addition oil shale exploration in the area happened years before it actually took off. These alternative universes are very handy, now all i need is one where trainz works perfectly and has better terrain tools :).
g1Pz4jr.jpg

unlike a model, you cant really trim down the boards here as it would look awful, but it does mean a lot of extra texturing on distant mountains.
qycPTkQ.jpg

mn3TpXn.jpg

in this shot for instance, its not an option to remove the far distant hills as they are part of the white river and the railroad runs alongside that for a mile or so.
k9bS3iv.jpg

Last edited:
Back