Progress on the Uintah RW

NNl3p22.jpg

crossing bridge 69a , lots of work needed in the white river canyon, i'm currently working on cliff splines .

aOsHWrF.jpg

a few more shots of recent work
this is the augustine mine. the trestle is level and the track is a 3.26 % grade, they dropped off flatcars for loading , and used gravity to move them as loaded . then the engines would back down the line from rainbow and collect the loads.
X6oPD7g.jpg

on this section of the line there were fairly frequent spurs for gilsonite loading
this is the spur at American
l4oa9DM.jpg

no mine shaft here , trucks and wagons from adjacent smaller mines transported gilsonite to these spurs for loading
6q7YAy7.jpg

The biggest mine was Colorow Barlow, both connected by a large loading dock, this was a swine to construct, the hardest part being its all on a slope , which changes from one side to the other and dipped , changed angle and direction and which had to line up perfectly on each side, as the deposits run in long narrow veins for many miles .
Consequently the narrow cuts for the mine shafts need a thin long shaft that's hard to construct. I wanted to avoid digholes, but even without using them , this shaft is still too wide, one day I'll learn blender and make a customised narrow shaft, but this is as close as I can get at the moment
CcAtiAN.jpg

view from the barlow end
jMscbVl.jpg

view from colorow. the tram line was supported by the braces that ran across the shaft, these shafts could be hundreds of feet deep and must have been very dangerous to work in .
vlSycI9.jpg

there are also ground shafts which are proving particularly hard to construct -this one is only partly completed and will have to be made on different layer as every time I select a brace, unless I am very careful, I select the main loader , which was also hard to place exactly . I think this is the hardest aspect of this route to make and I doubt I will ever manage to get it to look really authentic
iIFi9sW.jpg

been playing a bit with the main depot Atchee. the yard is on a severe incline, in real life it climbs 10 metres in 400 ft. so some of the grades are ridiculous, Iv'e had to shave off a metre or two at the top end as i could not get the track to fit , especially switches. this was the yard with most track laid, but it looked far too tidy.
Bb2AlyI.jpg

o laid a dirty fill spline underneath ( with a lot of difficulty, ) which gives a better impression of track under dirt with some ties visible and others not , still gotta work on a way to make a clean transition from the dirty fill to the clean and also adjustments here and there, but quite pleased with end result.
DTvdxa7.jpg

atchee in the early morning with first freight and a passenger train waiting for the pass to clear of traffic before they depart.
CVrEnhu.jpg

dYPgLyM.jpg

Passengers have a chance to visit their own double outhouse before the train departs
nDrxhZD.jpg

replenishments of fuel for the boiler house are under way as well as attending to extra coal for the various locos
bbdFewG.jpg

a couple of flats are waiting to be repaired outside the car shop , whilst 2-8-0 number 12 sits dead on a spur track. now the 2-6-6-2's are the main motive power she does not have much to do anymore, and is mainly used as a switcher.
IafRc9g.jpg

a shay recently purchased is waiting her turn to be renumbered , but meanwhile she does duty on the tipple
6oAuFJL.jpg

view of the yard with fills applied.
below, we are looking at 3.7 and 4 percent grades here .
6k8FJg4.jpg

unfortunately this technique produces a ridiculous number of spline points all of which are hard to distinguish .. which raises the question, why aren't different types of splines given different spline point colors so they are easier to select ?
y03sltJ.jpg

Last edited:
Evening Dangavel, really like the interesting details you've incorporated in our layout, narrow cuts for the mine shafts, a very dirty Coal yard operation, just the way it should look. :cool:

And the main depot Atchee, a nice addition. Your attention to detail under the constraints of heavy Grade %'s works out very well.

One question here, in MSG #84, you have what I think is small Mine Cars on a wood trestle bridge that lines up with your mainline for Transfer, what size track is that your using on the Mining line?

This Route Rocks, there is a lot to see and do........Keep at it sir..........:mop::cool:

Evening Dangavel, really like the interesting details you've incorporated in our layout, narrow cuts for the mine shafts, a very dirty Coal yard operation, just the way it should look. :cool:

And the main depot Atchee, a nice addition. Your attention to detail under the constraints of heavy Grade %'s works out very well.

One question here, in MSG #84, you have what I think is small Mine Cars on a wood trestle bridge that lines up with your mainline for Transfer, what size track is that your using on the Mining line?

This Route Rocks, there is a lot to see and do........Keep at it sir..........:mop::cool:
Cheers Blue, the track is i think 2ft, ( Ben Dorsey can confirm ) unfortunately its not a separate asset , its actually a creation within gmax, or something similar that allows the cars to follow a path.
yes its quite a busy route, although there's not all that many industries along the first part of the route, there are ( not including mack yard, which has a car shop, passenger depot, interface with DRGW mainline ,watering facilities and sidings as well as the gilsonite loaders ) only three places to do some shunting etc in the first 28 miles.
baxter pass has a passing loop and a water tank.. the other side of the pass has more to keep you busy, three small towns , oil refinery siding , a number of places for wool and sheep loading, and of course about 10 gilisonite mines in total.
it is going to take a long time to complete mainly dut ot the landscaping , huge number or rock cliffs and deep cut creeks next the line but I will get a rough version out once i have finished the bonanza section and merged a small map into the end of the route. hopefully by end of the year.
i have now done a lot more on mack and will post some shots of the drgw standard gauge and the Uintah working together.
Huge thanks to Ben Dorsey, could not have done this without him .....

Good. Very interesting.
Maybe some more variation in ground textures....:)
got a long way to go in that direction j, I haven't even really started yet.
I've concentrated on buildings, track and laying the creeks correctly in relation to the track as they follow the route for about 40 miles,
I've just laid down an overall cover of about 3 different textures over the 70 mile route . I have about 200 different textures completed, but many are yet to get sorted as assets for cliff splines and ground covers.
One of my main interests is texturing , but i'll be doing that seriously only when I have most other elements in place.

Yup - 2 ft gauge but strictly Gmax meshes. Not traincars at all. Pretty barebones at that - not much detail.

Ben

;) Copy on 2 Foot Gauge was just trying to get a sense of the Physical Size, :) I had some ideas about placing small Mines along my Route too incorporate more interesting details..........Thank you Gentleman.........

There are some 2 ft gauge mine train cars and even a loco or two I think, plus track of course on the DLS and elsewhere.

Ben

Looking very, very nice Dan!

There are some 2 ft gauge mine train cars and even a loco or two I think, plus track of course on the DLS and elsewhere.

Ben

Wait! What? See SRL (Sandy River) I'm not sure how many 24"/2' locomotives I have but it is somewhere around 10 or more. Lots of rolling stock in Logging, Mining, and Plantation as well as some general freight and passenger. You have to dig around for it, a good start is http://www.trainzone.co.nz/SRandRL.htm There is a 24" Merced Porter by narrowgauge on the DLS BTW.

Back on topic, if that last set shows where you are going with textures this is going to be an epic route Dan.

Edit: Back off topic for a sec, if you're interested in adding in some mining tracks, Blue, take a look at shortline2's work on the DLS. 18" gauge, track, trestles, and tunnels as well as industries, rolling stock, and a locomotive of sorts.

Last edited:
Looking very, very nice Dan!

Wait! What? See SRL (Sandy River) I'm not sure how many 24"/2' locomotives I have but it is somewhere around 10 or more. Lots of rolling stock in Logging, Mining, and Plantation as well as some general freight and passenger. You have to dig around for it, a good start is http://www.trainzone.co.nz/SRandRL.htm There is a 24" Merced Porter by narrowgauge on the DLS BTW.

Back on topic, if that last set shows where you are going with textures this is going to be an epic route Dan.

Edit: Back off topic for a sec, if you're interested in adding in some mining tracks, Blue, take a look at shortline2's work on the DLS. 18" gauge, track, trestles, and tunnels as well as industries, rolling stock, and a locomotive of sorts.

:wave: Thank you Sir, I'll definitely check those out.

I was thinking in some spots where I have some Craggy Hills or something, I could add these Mining Tracks and it garner more interest as your Tooling down the Route, and I could have a small Spur Track to transfer the Mining loads onto a Car........

Like to mention, your last shots, with Desert Terrain look really natural, you sure have a talent for that stuff..:p....

Thanks for sharing..........

:) Update: I found out that had a few of his items in inventory,

He only made close to a 1000 Items or more, Wow, and there is some really interesting NG Assets. So I downloaded some of "Shortline2" NG24" Track.
I think will work great and some NG Mining Textures etc, :p

Thanks again for help with this!

Last edited:
Back