Progress on the Uintah RW

Well, I suppose this should now be called " Lack of progress on the Uintah railway , after "upgrading" to Sp2, many many miles of creek bank were rendered useless and had to be rebuilt, vegetation had to be removed as well as the phantom placer splines that are still there, but which cannot be edited due to a stupid feature that occurs if an asset is perceived to be missing by the app.
Anyway, most of it is now restored and is probably a bit better then it was before and i've started adding vegetation, one big problem is the construction technique I have used for creeks, its very hard to blend in the spline with surrounding terrain and yesterday I found that if I change the lighting some areas look utterly awful under those lighting conditions .
FbMzcIv.png

anyway starting at Mack, I've been working on details at the back of the town , this drainage ditch has been reskinned but I still have to blend it in better, it needs a smaller detail texture,the crazybump app that allows me to do normal textures has expired and I do not want to spend $100 on a replacement , so relying on online apps to do it.
gQRJjQW.png

Pathetic attempts to blend this in with vegetation will not work until Igive the ditch spline smaller sized textures ....
JXxyrvq.png

CRa4tsh.png

More crud

nxUKc98.png

you can see the spline showing up in the foreground under this light, its invisible in 12 noon daylight :-( also, you can see in the distance a stupid orange 'missing asset" that has been introduced and which is visible in drive view !!!!!!!!!!
i have no idea what the hell this is , i cannot remove it as when i try to do so the program crashes. another 'improvement' which is utter crud IMHO .Why indicate that an asset is missing if there's no indication as to which asset isnt there ?

now imgur is acting up, so gonna do more later . Before I finish, i'd like to send best wishes to Ben Dorsey who has helped me so much on this route. Ben isn't very well and he could do with positive thoughts being beamed his way at the moment, hes one of our most prolific and best content creators for older assets and he is much needed, he never big notes his work and hes been a champion for older stock and buildings. Many thanks Ben, you are a champion !

Last edited:
gQW0DvH.png

moving a mile or two out of mack you can see the scale and complexity of the creek system near the main line , this continues for the whole 28 miles to atchee , the far distance on the left has to be detailed as its near the DRGW connecting line up ruby canyon, which I have also been working on, I'm adding fences tracks and some agriculture , relatively easy as this section has a google street view and you can see details up close photographically.
a little bit further up the road is clarkton, a sugar beet loading siding
KKUKu53.png

not much vegetation here , but the route to Atchee has about 3 different vegetation zones and often scrub was waist high in parts. other sections are arid apart from the creek banks themselves where vegetation is quite dense.

B2zMwEc.png

By the time we get to mp 11, near the siding at Sprague , we are into more arid territory with washes and feeder creeks prevailing, all subject to flash flooding . creek banks are in place ,along with rudimentary vegetation. there was a section house here, which i will add later along with a telephone kiosk .

h6hj0Gy.png

view towards sprague from mp 10 . more to come when i have added some more vegetation and fences
nmEBKgu.png

no 51 at mp 10
and below at mp 9
11oxTaB.png

Thanks so much for continuing with this project in the face of such adversity.

more then once have considered giving up and the possibility
that Ben may not be able to complete some 3d items in the near future is a bit of a blow, still I will keep on keeping on as I'd hate to waste all the work I've done so far.
Also having physio to keep my shoulder going as been having some issues due to all the right hand work ive done texturing . fortunately its responding well so far :)

:wave: Good Morning Dangavel,

Been reading about all the issues you have been facing as well as our friend Ben Dorsey, today or tomorrow I go to church, depending on my schedule, when I do, I will say a special prayer for the both of you Gentleman.

:udrool: As for your route, I'm both inspired and awed by you and your contributors, and like any huge job, life is consistent in the unfortunate means, called setbacks.

However, you have accomplished much here, and your tenacity really shows in the workmanship that I see in the progressing Photos. It looks so real and lifelike in what you portray on the route, the exact placement of pertinent details and alignment, true craftsmanship in my eyes, I would think others would whole heartedly be of the same vein of thought and support for your efforts displayed in trying to show and tell us a story of how it was out here!

So I would say, your health is number one importance for both you and Ben. If you need to lay off a bit, then so be it. But you won't here any complaints out of my peanut gallery. I really hope you get better. I have had many friends with hand, arm and shoulder issues.

:D Thank you for sharing your updates with us, and I bid (pray) for both with better days ahead my friend!

:wave: Good Morning Dangavel,

Been reading about all the issues you have been facing as well as our friend Ben Dorsey, today or tomorrow I go to church, depending on my schedule, when I do, I will say a special prayer for the both of you Gentleman.

:udrool: As for your route, I'm both inspired and awed by you and your contributors, and like any huge job, life is consistent in the unfortunate means, called setbacks.

However, you have accomplished much here, and your tenacity really shows in the workmanship that I see in the progressing Photos. It looks so real and lifelike in what you portray on the route, the exact placement of pertinent details and alignment, true craftsmanship in my eyes, I would think others would whole heartedly be of the same vein of thought and support for your efforts displayed in trying to show and tell us a story of how it was out here!

So I would say, your health is number one importance for both you and Ben. If you need to lay off a bit, then so be it. But you won't here any complaints out of my peanut gallery. I really hope you get better. I have had many friends with hand, arm and shoulder issues.

:D Thank you for sharing your updates with us, and I bid (pray) for both with better days ahead my friend!

cheers Blue always appreciate your kind words , inspires me to keep on keeping on , be well yourself my friend !

a few new shots

this is the canyon approaching Carbonera, which is the first coaling point on the line, I drove the whole route from Mack up as far as here last night and only have a couple of minor track issues i need to fix . this is a small diorama where I've added a cliff spline , its what I hope the whole thing would look like eventually.
d8GqDze.png

Heres more shots from the first 20 odd miles
ksyAP8x.png

mUMB6wW.png

fWjh5Eb.png

niwli0c.png

V7zjKJW.png

i changed the spline fill texture and am busy trying to get a better match for local soil, but given trainz tendency to blow out any light colors in certain lighting conditions i have to be careful . the fill was generally lighter than surrounding soil so this is more prototypical than what i had before.
TSSIwI4.png

pencil 42s cliff splines are massively useful for creek banks, cuts and cliffs,
a6Ewf1L.png

trestles abound in this section , although most are small. often undercut by flash floods, sometime must try and find a pile driver model to set up a repair situation on one of them

e3SDxna.png

also been adding culverts and mileposts , Rodger Polleys great books give locations for most of them on the route.
vZmlVpS.png

Wendella

meanwhile the other side of the mountains at Wendella no 51 is having a brake check before it tackles the 5% grade up to Baxter pass.
vd46Zwl.png

hfKEvh5.png

<kuid2:210518:6067:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 1
<kuid2:210518:6068:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 2
<kuid2:210518:6069:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 3
<kuid2:210518:6070:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 4

By BenDorsey of course. :D

Edit there is also

<kuid2:210518:6889:1> work car 36A
<kuid2:210518:6890:1> work car 36B
<kuid2:210518:6891:1> work car 36C

These are a standard gauge auger car with the auger stowed, deployed right, or deployed left. :D

and there is this...

<kuid:60238:27163> Pile Driver by vulcan

Last edited:
<kuid2:210518:6067:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 1
<kuid2:210518:6068:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 2
<kuid2:210518:6069:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 3
<kuid2:210518:6070:1> D&RGW Pile Driver OB 4

By BenDorsey of course. :D

Edit there is also

<kuid2:210518:6889:1> work car 36A
<kuid2:210518:6890:1> work car 36B
<kuid2:210518:6891:1> work car 36C

These are a standard gauge auger car with the auger stowed, deployed right, or deployed left. :D

and there is this...

<kuid:60238:27163> Pile Driver by vulcan
Yep, it will have to be reskinned , as we can see , Ben's work is everywhere and invaluable..

progress at Wendella
i'm attempting to do all the creeks that follow the route so that then it can have a 'not fully completed but acceptable to drive ' release sometime this year. so this is the next portion to do, about another 25 miles of creeks. this time using clam1952's cliff spline which is a bit quicker to lay than the bigger cliff splines by pencil ( and many thanks to bother of these esteemed gents for allowing reskins of their wonderful splines)
i will be leaving the cliff themselves for later but have done one or two sections to indicate how they will eventually look and have also decided to use better looking trees even if they are not entirely accurate for the area.
again plenty of room for improvement here, but its a start.
this is near the passing
siding at Sewell. relatively lush here, cattle grazing
ErAzVhO.png

NRe8o9C.png

also lightening up all the ground on the route to reflect the soil colour more accurately.

wendella wye

view from the nearby homestead

wS8mjIg.png

approaching the wye
9VUuPDg.png

HJkpwl1.png

WeN83vw.png

view towards macandrews lake.
Bt7x4Vb.png

view from the creek opposite the wye
8JTWVsX.png

back at Sewell , it looks a like a coupling has broken :)

So just saw some screenshots on the narrow guage screenshots Megathread, and had to come here to check it out. fantastic! This looks amazing

been working on the section past sewall, up to MP44 . spent several days making some cliff splines . blending in color overlays to get the cliff tones more accurate, working quite well so far.
kqXwsAX.png

this section has some very deeply cut creeks and erosion channels
tymh712.jpg

0rcchs6.jpg

bOfl8WV.jpg

J4RwJuF.png

trying to get some basic veg and trees along side the track in so its driveable in a few months , the cliffs come last .

14b7jAI.jpg

Did more creek work, making some sections fairly complete where they are more interesting such as mp 46 where a lot of different watercourses converge in one place. there is a siding here at East Vac and a mile down the road another where they loaded oil . lots of trestles on this section , they would have had the pile driver working full time shoring up the banks form erosion due to flash floods. soem creek banks here are 6 metres or more deep.

YMBGxR3.jpg

P7vq5iO.jpg

A5izJeB.jpg

Od0LP2N.jpg

pvaTSCR.jpg

This mixed is off to Wendella and then, Baxter pass. it would have had to drop off the water wagon as it would probably not have managed to pull it up the 5% grade up the pass unaided .

Pile Driver Thoughts for u?

:wave: You triggered a thought, don't know if you have any Pile drivers for Uintah, but I have one that might be of interest, "Pile Driver" by Vulcan Vers 1.5,
Kuid 60238:27163, type "building" and you'll need to search by Author,, then by name and it shows, it should show by Key Phrase "Pile Driver" for some stupid reason it does not, but instead our Friend Ben Dorsey's 4 models show....Beats the #$%^ out of me. But that's OK Ben is great builder too.

Vulcan Authors Notes:A model of a pile driver set up to drive timber piles. The pile driver sits on the ground surface, and the rotation point is beneath the boiler. This allows the pile frame to project over water and be supported by timber framing.

The animation includes an operating donkey engine, and an operator working the clutch release levers to allow the drop hammer to drive the pile. Steam boiler sound has been added and the sound impact of the hammer on the pile is synchronized.

The height is adjustable in the new Trainz option, from 0 to +10 metres above ground.

The hammer is nominally 4 tonnes with a drop height of 1.7 metres.

It installs as Pile Driver in the Australia Scenery listing.
=======================================
:cool: And it looks like Ben Dorsey has 4 different models of D&RGW NG ones but they sit on Rail instead, Vers 2.4

Anyway since you were indicating you had lots of Creeks in this area, my thought was it might look cool with with this critter on the side knocking some Piles in place? I if I recall it has a little Steam Plume as it works.......

Pictures look great sir, thanks for sharing. :udrool:

:wave: You triggered a thought, don't know if you have any Pile drivers for Uintah, but I have one that might be of interest, "Pile Driver" by Vulcan Vers 1.5,
Kuid 60238:27163, type "building" and you'll need to search by Author,, then by name and it shows, it should show by Key Phrase "Pile Driver" for some stupid reason it does not, but instead our Friend Ben Dorsey's 4 models show....Beats the #$%^ out of me. But that's OK Ben is great builder too.

Vulcan Authors Notes:A model of a pile driver set up to drive timber piles. The pile driver sits on the ground surface, and the rotation point is beneath the boiler. This allows the pile frame to project over water and be supported by timber framing.

The animation includes an operating donkey engine, and an operator working the clutch release levers to allow the drop hammer to drive the pile. Steam boiler sound has been added and the sound impact of the hammer on the pile is synchronized.

The height is adjustable in the new Trainz option, from 0 to +10 metres above ground.

The hammer is nominally 4 tonnes with a drop height of 1.7 metres.

It installs as Pile Driver in the Australia Scenery listing.
=======================================
:cool: And it looks like Ben Dorsey has 4 different models of D&RGW NG ones but they sit on Rail instead, Vers 2.4

Anyway since you were indicating you had lots of Creeks in this area, my thought was it might look cool with with this critter on the side knocking some Piles in place? I if I recall it has a little Steam Plume as it works.......

Pictures look great sir, thanks for sharing. :udrool:
Yes I 'm aware of bens pile drivers , would have to reskin , that's down the track a bit, but I definitely will do something with a minor washout and a shoofly track sometime. There was a major landslide in Baxter pass in I think 1924 which closed the line for months, could have a version with work going on there too, they had a steam shovel and a diesel cat shovel working on that disaster.

Back