Progress on the Uintah RW

It's looking pretty good. Moves are always so much fun. I'm glad I've not had to in a while.

Have you looked at VirtualBox? You can install on a Mac and run Windows 10. Do the work there and go back to the Mac OS. Just a suggestion if you cannot do it on the Mac.

Phil

It's looking pretty good. Moves are always so much fun. I'm glad I've not had to in a while.

Have you looked at VirtualBox? You can install on a Mac and run Windows 10. Do the work there and go back to the Mac OS. Just a suggestion if you cannot do it on the Mac.

Phil

Setting up something like virtualbox is far too complex a task for me , I'm useless at anything that needs command line terminal or any other tweaking , never been able to get much open source stuff to work for me . I'm sure its great but i never have warmed to running an emulator, I've had them and did not enjoy the experience , with parallels I never could get PEV to see my mac trainz install so could never access the items to edit them. I think i needed to duplicate it on the windows partition and i did not have room for another 200gb worth of duplicate assets on the drive.

Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

After looking at your latest Pictures, I could imagine viewing them in a Famous Art Gallery, awaiting to be sold to the highest Bidder. Because they are that good......! ;)

Dan I began to think, in all this time, and all the wonderful Pictures you displayed for us, is there nothing you can not make or imagine thru Uintah's most Scenic Canyons. :cool:

Update: Hi again, I just read your Notes on the Cliff Splines and the Turf Grass,

I can tell you on my 2 yr old laptop, with 1050 GTI NVidia, a lot of the Routes I download with Turf in them, and they look so good, but it raises my GPU too hot for the Computer, so what I have done, is gone in either reduced the height of the Turf, or mostly remove it from the Routes....I try just cutting down the height of the Grasses and that'll work well enough depending too, on the size of the Route....

As for your latest Splines, I had downloaded a whole bunch of them, and figured you added more for probable for specific reasons....Thanks, I have so many now
:hehe:

I need to play with them, too see how they work....Remarkable work product Sir Dan.....Thanks again for creating and sharing with us....:p

Last edited:
Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

After looking at your latest Pictures, I could imagine viewing them in a Famous Art Gallery, awaiting to be sold to the highest Bidder. Because they are that good......! ;)

Dan I began to think, in all this time, and all the wonderful Pictures you displayed for us, is there nothing you can not make or imagine thru Uintah's most Scenic Canyons. :cool:

thankee Blue, I do what i can, with the tools at hand .....and am usually dissatisfied with it . it would be nice to use the turf fx tools in 2019, but i doubt my graphics card would manage to cope even if the mac could access the feature. .

Regrettably, I'm having to junk a lot of the cliff splines that i made earlier on and put up on the DLS, I will be using a lot more escarpment splines as they fill up more space AND look much better . I uploaded a lot of small splines as often they were featured on the timber ridge revamp, but as it would have taken an age to work out which ones were going to be used in the end route, I uploaded many that might not have been used or which needed improvement , i keep on having to mod stuff to blend with other items.
. A lot of the small cliff splines just don't cut it when used at any length , i do still have to use them but I have better images to use that make the old ones redundant, or I'm using the old images in the larger escarpments, my apologies that a lot of stuff that i have uploaded will be of no use and that I will be continuing to make more new textures and cliff splines.

Near Atchee

Spent a few days making more or better cliff escarpment splines for the canyon leading to Atchee. The last mile to Atchee is taking shape , once I've worked a bit more on this section I'll get Atchee into better condition. For some reason when I returned to the route, some items had shifted position or has disappearedf. I also keep on finding station lights in the middle of vegetation in the mountains , very strange.
nsjGjR8.jpg

the view towards Atchee
OiY4y3F.jpg

fQ6Dg90.jpg

beqp3xB.jpg

each hill has about 4 or 5 lines of exposed cliff running through the canyon . Which was why I had to make a lot of new splines to avoid too much repetition.
yAGyTK1.jpg

Moved on to Atchee, which is now about 90% complete. I have never seen such steep grades in a yard before, cramped , weirdly arranged. but that's what they created. I suppose they had their reasons ...its was at least a year since I worked on it and even after 3 days further work, it still needs a few final touches, the vegetation is nearly complete for the area , have to do some work on the distant side canyons and the top left of this scene. .

iWhWAj7.jpg

hrJcpuV.jpg

EM9GFNw.jpg

HvCnbSu.jpg

epxkD34.jpg

SzuRjLx.jpg

the conveniences in the foreground are probably unique to this location,....... all thanks to the late Ben Dorsey, who made all the buildings for Atchee.

XCBPodd.jpg

MrsU9x7.jpg

3s6xhng.jpg

ADTU8QS.jpg

Last edited:
The road to Baxter Pass.

m7Oz5FU.jpg

Number 51 on the 5% climb out of Atchee , heading towards Baxter Pass, optimistic estimates of tonnage she could pull up the 7.5% grades had to be revised downwards as even this loco has issues on the ultra steep grades. It was rated capable of pulling 90 tons only over this side of the pass. Even then, extra weight had to be added over the front drivers with a box full of scrap metal added soon after the locos were introduced. The weight of the water in the tanks also helped with adhesion , when these were given tenders when sold and the tanks removed they did not pull as well as expected and were something of a disappointment .
p8qjal3.jpg

Last edited:
Number 12 at Atchee

This little 2-8-0 was similar to the DRGW 300 class 2-8-0s and has been reskinned from that model by Togog. Ex Florence and Cripple Creek,
she was a mainstay on the Atchee to Mack section for over 20 years and went to the Eureka and Nevada in 1938. Shes now in the Nevada State Railroad Museum, Boulder City.
7BStJ5n.jpg

CeYrzl7.jpg

WcJZj4c.jpg

Last edited:
This is a great route you are building, Dangavel! I have purchased a 30-day FCT ad have downloaded a huge number of the assets you have created for this route. One small missing I have run into:

These three assets:
<kuid:44878:113790> URY Bonanza Loading Platform
<kuid:44878:113787> URY Bonanza Tall Hoistway
<kuid:44878:113786> URY Cowboy Loading Platform

are all missing this asset by gman347: <kuid:582908:38194>

Do you know where I might find it? And sorry if this has been mentioned before.

This is a great route you are building, Dangavel! I have purchased a 30-day FCT ad have downloaded a huge number of the assets you have created for this route. One small missing I have run into:

These three assets:
<kuid:44878:113790> URY Bonanza Loading Platform
<kuid:44878:113787> URY Bonanza Tall Hoistway
<kuid:44878:113786> URY Cowboy Loading Platform

are all missing this asset by gman347: <kuid:582908:38194>

Do you know where I might find it? And sorry if this has been mentioned before.

when Paul made these he used some of pencils track but used his own kuid numbers for it , he doesnt upload to the dls and i uploaded the items , for some reason the asset wasnt rejected ( which is what usually happens if there are missing dependencies ) so its up there on the DLS but unable to be used. i cant upload the asset unless I change the config file to use pencils track , not pauls version.I asked paul if he can upload the track , he was going to ask pencil for permission, which he doesnt need as pencil allows free use of his work . i expect hes just not get round to uploading it , he is very busy with work pressures but i'll get back to him again and ask if he can upload the items .
i wont be able to put the uintah on the dls until i fix issues with several track fill splines of pencils I've adapted, they work as 3.5 versions, but as soon as i add my artwork to them, i get errors. the sheer effort of getting routes to work for others is a total drag and i am surprised that anyone does it as it is such a pain .

Thanks for the update. No worries, I realize how much work you have put into this and the Timber Ridge. Hang in there and enjoy life a little too!

Hello Forester1,

Please accept my apology, you too Dan, for the delay in uploading the needed content. I have been hanging around here at the forum for quite a few years and have actually created content that I shared with others but to date have not uploaded anything. As Dan noted, the original track is a Pencil42 creation that I modified to get smoother curves on the platforms on which I used it. He pointed out to me that permission to modify and upload is granted in the original cdp so I didn't need to worry about that. I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to upload something. Well, I just now went ahead and uploaded that track. Hopefully it will show up in a couple of days.

Paul :)

Hello Forester1,

Please accept my apology, you too Dan, for the delay in uploading the needed content. I have been hanging around here at the forum for quite a few years and have actually created content that I shared with others but to date have not uploaded anything. As Dan noted, the original track is a Pencil42 creation that I modified to get smoother curves on the platforms on which I used it. He pointed out to me that permission to modify and upload is granted in the original cdp so I didn't need to worry about that. I just haven't taken the time to figure out how to upload something. Well, I just now went ahead and uploaded that track. Hopefully it will show up in a couple of days.

Paul :)
Thanks Paul, nice to see you made it out the other side of the uploading process :)

climbing to Moro castle pt 2

RteK31c.jpg

FZP4EP5.jpg

MvIx6gO.jpg

jyWU1sC.jpg

nj174YX.jpg

the strangely named Moro Castle bend .. more needs to be vegetated further up the canyon and surrounds, i'm busy replacing a lot of vegetation with better items and have more or less replaced all the cliffs with escarpments.

That 7.5% climb is a beast! The screenshots look fantastic! :cool:

Track laying with the fill underneath is tricky at 7.5%, (roads crossing the 7.5% looks a bit weird too ) I keep on dropping the track into the fill and then later on, it seems to pop up again , even tho its locked in place. Some sections have been done multiple times , its most annoying, especially when the fill is deep, then the spline points disappear and you have to guess where they are as the fill isn't transparent even when textures are turned off so you can see the grid. Anyway, onward ever onward, so far frame rates seem to be holding up despite the vast amount of scrub that has to be used in this section , I've had to use the forest summer trees as many of the smaller cl bushes by Clam look good up close, but seem transparent when further away , very weird, I'm sure they didn't look like that in earlier versions of TANE

Back