Progress on the Uintah RW

i found a few snow assets by you dan, are they for this route?
No, they were done for the timber ridge route. It would be nice to do Baxter pass in winter, but it would be a vast job to change all the foliage over as much of it is deciduous throughout the route.

So we moved and not much has been done but house is organised enuff that I can start working on route again, More Shay action at Baxter Pass, just past Moro Castle
RsLlVY2.jpg

JwS6Xq5.jpg

DUNkhlG.jpg

looking up the old wagon road to Baxter summit.
EilxhLF.jpg

this bridge was an utter pig to place, incline makes it really hard to get track ,bridge, fill , road and terrain into correct alignment
p3XT2Rv.jpg

cFmg3O9.jpg

when seen from this viewpoint some of these grades seem pretty insane .....

I agree outstanding have been following the progress on this route for quite a while looking forward to seeing the release of the Unitah .

Good day Sir Dan Gavel,

Well? I hear you moved into a new home, congratulations.....Lord knows it's lots of work, especially the ORG part of it trying to get all sorted out.....:hehe:

Now to your splendid Route......Looks so nice........

By the way, me and Mr's Blue are traveling in Colorado.........it's Fall here with a burst of Autumn Colors here.........:cool:

This page shows how awesome the Colors are, just like your beautiful Route has.......

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fall+colors+colorado

Take care.....:hehe:

Last edited:
I absolutely adore those shots, is there a tender for that shay, it looks VERY weird
Yes there should be, it's slugsmashers , but the Uintah shays did not have separate tenders, this is the closest loco that there is to them that I can find, other ng shays that are closer in design have balloon stacks so can't use them .needs must .

I absolutely adore those shots, is there a tender for that shay, it looks VERY weird

theres some shots of the Shays here, they had long coal bunkers , separate tenders were not a good idea as they needed all the weight they could get on the engine to assist with traction , same with the 2-6-6-2s once they took the water tanks off the boiler on the Sumpter Valley Rwy, they were something of a disappointment . http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,189488,189643#msg-189643

I converted the Clear Lake shay into Uintah shay no 2, it is fairly close in design, curiously, number two had no lettering I can see, but i added a number. I have tried to reconstruct a few of the photos that exist, this is a stock train hauled by two shays, at Shale siding, which is on a 7 percent grade !

A0tWLv2.jpg

UoftqGj.jpg

View from Shale of the ascent to the summit,
0PE2AZ5.jpg

lq00LZv.jpg

q0Wqi3s.jpg

Approaching columbine

RQS5zcf.jpg

5G12qx0.jpg

vZZVI5G.jpg

tuRWu0E.jpg

ycrHRw7.jpg

3rrCplP.jpg

xIbZgaZ.jpg

once again the Uintah presents us with both a spectacular vista and fascinating track patterns. The balloon loop was removed once the 2-6-6-2s were introduced and there was less need of a banker but I've kept it there as its so picturesque.

Yesterday measured how much more work is needed to complete the detailing, about 33 miles of canyon and vegetation to complete , a mile o two extra near Mack where the standard gauge line meets the 3ft and then I may have to change most of the sage due to it looking worse each time the game is updated. I keep on seeing areas that I was happy with two years ago, which now look crap..... busy making new shrubs using Harold minkys blueprints, don't expect it will ever get finished at this rate.....:) I'm also tempted to do the tunnel and standard gauge another version so can run drgw stock and locos on it eventually.

Last edited:
Looking outstanding!
Using different vegetation has helped , I have buried a lot of the rmm kust large shrubs under the ground so just parts are visible , avoids repetition and has added advantage of cutting down on gpu use , I have lightened up all the jvc hm blueprint firs so they are not so dark, but of course that means yet another lot of reskins to go on the Dls , seems the route makers work is never done ��

VERY NICE!!!

the st_rmn stuff looks very nice too, going with them would look pretty nice.
I'm using them in place of clams bush set which has been becoming more see through as the game has " improved "' the kusts are stand ins for scrub oaks , which grow low in this area. Unfortunately they can't be used much past Baxter pass, or past atchee as they only grow in higher altitudes . I am facing the prospect of also substituting something for the aging jvc bushes I'm using as sage, as they are looking rather cruddy next to the newer shrubs and trees. Veg is a bane on this route and always has been, I have lost count of the days I've spent looking for, adapting and agonising over getting stuff that works in this sort of environment. I find something, use it and then find it has a downside such as it can't be modded , or it's obsolete, or it kills the GPU .
I moved down the valley past Wendella and found that I have to replace all of clam's bushes along the river banks with bushes using the minke blueprints, as the clam bushes now don't hide the joins between creek bank splines and the ground, and they look weird from a distance. it's most annoying when stuff one has used which was fine just a year ago has now got to be changed. Of course as I'm still working in sp3 and if I release it no doubt the route will look crap in 2019 and I'll be fielding complaints that half the assets won't work or people can't find them, it's never ending , ah well....such is life :)

Last edited:
thanks to the highly esteemed Ben Neal his 3ft shay now has a straight stack and a coal load ! it should be able to double as the early Uintah shay No 2 once the paintwork is fixed .
RSwJgeA.png

Ben Neal's Shay would look great on the Uintah RR

thanks to the highly esteemed Ben Neal his 3ft shay now has a straight stack and a coal load ! it should be able to double as the early Uintah shay No 2 once the paintwork is fixed .
RSwJgeA.png

Evening Sir Dan Gavel,

Like the Locomotive, and I say, go for it........Looking over your Shrub Pictures, sorry to hear about the problems with Plants, and you are absolutely right, a ROUTE BUILDER'S Work is never done, almost like you've gotten married to the Job as they say.......

Despite the visual issues, I always enjoy the Realistic looking Route u have created so far.........It's so stunning and breath taking to look at.......

Keep the faith Sir.......Love your work.........You know I do.......

Have a Blessed Sunday, don't forget to Breath and take a little break here and there.....All my best!

Back