Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Progress on the Uintah RW

Been working on areas nearer White river which have very wide vistas, its taken about a week to do just this little stretch of about 1 mile.
    here the route loops around itself and climbs up and then descends back down as the line approaches Bonanza , no choice but to vegetate all the surrounds .

its dawn at Ute siding and this train of empties ( plus some full water cars and a combination car ) is about to tackle the 6% grade now its picked up helper no 5.

we're climbing up to the summit behind those distant hills.

close to the 6% stretch , its about 3.5 here

The 6% grade is only a few hundred yards here . The uintah seemed to regard extreme grades as normal, as the climb to Ute from white river also has similar inclines.

nearly at the summit and its getting a bit lighter.

and down we go into Bonanza
    Last edited by dangavel; August 8th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

Certainly spectacular and a lot of work! Nicely done.

Thumbs up

Good evening Sir Dan,

I see what looks like a Rembrandt taking place here, as you continue to mature the Route..........All I can say, it looks so darn real, it is astounding.....Slow but steady at the Wheel Capt Dan Gavel.......Your exploration, your results are well known by now.......

Have a great weekend, and know your efforts with this Grand Project are priceless...........I like what I see, and I like it a lot..........

Now get some rest ole Friend.........

Hi Dan,

Ben's Bridges look great on the Route..........Almost like they where built for it.........RIP Ben, we miss you.......
    Last edited by blueodessey; August 11th, 2019 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Dorsey made awesome bridges......

I decided to have a drive from bridge 68 to Ute siding , about 5 miles to check for faults as i'm hoping to get this section out relatively soon . The section is now about 95% complete.
    I went a bit mad with the screen shots, so I'll do the results in batches.

There still a bit of work to do here , but i like the early morning light generated by TANE, as well as the deep shadows from the nearby hills. Love these spindly high bridges made by Ben Dorsey.

we've passed the bridge ,moving into the last section of Evacuation wash.

leaving Evacuation Wash and entering White river canyon....

navigating the section which snakes along the cliffs to the river crossing , every train on the Uintah delivered water , as there was no supply in most of the settlements on the route due to excess alkalinity in the creeks and bores.

69A was possibly Ben's last bridge , he completed it a few weeks before he fell ill........ it would have been the biggest on the route if it had been built as envisaged by the planners.

I've included this shot so you can see what has to be done to complete this bit. The cliffs in the distance have yet to be vegetated and put into their final position and i have to do those in the far distance as they are visible from the white river siding and track that loops up the gradually sloping terrain.

No stopping here at white river. Theres stretches of 6% grade ahead !
    WARNING! The Surgeon General has determined that the use of the simulator Trainz is highly addictive,

here we go on the climb to Ute Summit. If this section had ever been completed in real life, it could have rivaled the Cumbres and Toltec Tanglefoot curve as it curves in and around itself numerous times and has 8 bridges in 3 miles. !

the summit . just realised how crappy the cliff on the left foreground looks, gotta hide some joins. Anyway, more to come past Ute as we go back downhill.

Default the descent to Ute siding.

this section is now more or less complete.

this stretch goes up and down a bit,but drivers only face relatively sedate grades of 3.5% max . most consists would be empty coming in this direction , apart from carrying water , oil rig parts for prospecting shale oil deposits ( all unsuccessful ) and assorted freight for gilsonite mining in Bonanza and general freight and mail for Vernal and beyond.

we can see Ute siding in the distance, confusingly theres also another siding called ute,near Dragon probably have to rename them Ute north and Ute south.

Leaving Ute siding North

Tackling the 6.6 % stretch.

Approaching Bonanza Hill summit.

been working on completing the stretch from the Green River to Watson, have about a mile and a half to complete. Now apologies in advance to Mr Bentien ( who doesn't like me using any non Uintah engines) , but remember this is a FANTASY section but this engine is exclusively used between Wendella to Bonanza and was bought in the 1930s to cater for extra traffic.
    at the end in 1939,the DRGW also considered taking over the Uintah, so its highly likely in this scenario that surplus DRGW engines could have been drafted in to work on this line ...

This was the section that had to be rebuilt about a month ago as the dem wasn't showing the correct topography.

eight bridges in this section alone.

Last edited by dangavel; August 22nd, 2019 at 06:51 AM.

I hope everything is going well, and that you are well and safe. I was recently reminded of this route, and can't believe it has been nearly 10 months since the last update.
    hi, i was rjc0235, then 0235, now im rjc0235 again! if you have seen anything that is 0235 or rjc0235, im the same person

Quote Originally Posted by rjc0235 View Post
    I hope everything is going well, and that you are well and safe. I was recently reminded of this route, and can't believe it has been nearly 10 months since the last update.

I am going to start again now i have more or less completed the timber ridge, in away its a good thing I've had a break away from the route, as as its given me a breather and I've also uploaded many of the assets needed to run the line. I will be trying to avoid using any off DLS assets as much as possible and I discovered I have to change all the fill splines under the track as the ones I used cannot be uploaded to the DLS.
    I have a few things to do that are not trainz related but will be hopefully be working on this route soon and rediscovering it once again. I will , once all assets are on DLS (groan , it will take weeks ) upload the whole thing, it will not be completed but it will be driveable . What I mainly have to do now is add the rock textures around the route and i think i have improved my techniques whilst working on timber ridge.
    it is interesting how quickly we lose interest in projects and move on to others, it seems a lot more people are worked up about the egg liners than the fate of this route

United States of America, New Mexico, Mora

Quote Originally Posted by dangavel View Post
    it is interesting how quickly we lose interest in projects and move on to others, it seems a lot more people are worked up about the egg liners than the fate of this route
    I believe I can say that there are a few of us “are worked up” about this route. Especially, compared to egg liners. For this period in time, I would say that it would rank up there with hand sanitizer.

No, really your Uintah Railway route is one of the best routes I’ve seen that show what can be done with Trainz. I’ve not been to the area you are modeling for a while, but from what I remember you have really captured the look and feel of the area (I live in the southwest, but further southeast of the Uintah). From your screenshots, I feel like I will need to have extra water available before I start it up. I’m looking forward to when you have the route completely available.

I am very impressed with the way you have captured the look of the desert, Dangavel. With the combination of the ground textures, the rocks and cliffs, and the plants it is looking very realistic!
    “We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.” - R.L.S.

United States of America, New Mexico, Mora

I knew this route was going to be big because of the level of detail, and it would take time for you to put all the files up in the Download Station, but I didn’t realize just how big and how long it was going to take. I looked at the files you have downloaded and it appears to me that you started on February 4, 2020, and have gone just about every day since for a total of over 5580 files. What can I say, but this will give people an idea as to how much work you put into this. This is not just a route, but also a work of art.

I feel that some of your screenshots would make a great cover for the Narrow Gauge Gazette (myself, I like the ones with 51 in them).

Quote Originally Posted by ursa2 View Post
    I knew this route was going to be big because of the level of detail, and it would take time for you to put all the files up in the Download Station, but I didn’t realize just how big and how long it was going to take. I looked at the files you have downloaded and it appears to me that you started on February 4, 2020, and have gone just about every day since for a total of over 5580 files. What can I say, but this will give people an idea as to how much work you put into this. This is not just a route, but also a work of art.

I feel that some of your screenshots would make a great cover for the Narrow Gauge Gazette (myself, I like the ones with 51 in them).
    Thanks, the upload count is a bit misleading as not all of these assets are contained within the Uintah, the cliff sets are generally composed of 8 items , but in many cases I've only used one or two of the collection. But it is a lot of items, and a lot of unique items. good news is I've nearly completed uploading, many of the items i will use are already there and have been used in the timber ridge revamp. .
    Last edited by dangavel; July 8th, 2020 at 05:29 PM. Reason: e

Returning to adding what seems like endless miles of sagebrush , creeks and cliffs. Evacuation creek runs alongside the track and the hills feed the creek with dry creeks every few hundred yards.

its not possible to just fill in a small area with sage, as it stretches for hundreds of meters on either side . lo-o-o-o-ng vistas.

I'm currently uploading lots of escarpment splines to provide quick coverage on the far side of the route. Unfortunately the DEM was from relatively low res maps and I often have to make the cliffs up to 10 metres higher . Fortunately . the other side of the canyon is much less challenging to model.

Typical stretch with creeks that need to be lined by shrubs. raqods that dip into the creek and are very uneven.