Progress on the Uintah RW

Hi Dangavel,
Fantastic screenshots!
Very well done the environment, I like!

I am interested in the stream in the lower right, where do I find it?

Among your numerous cliffs, rocks, do they exist in a seasonal version?

Thank you.
p8qjal3.jpg

Hi Dangavel,
Fantastic screenshots!
Very well done the environment, I like!

I am interested in the stream in the lower right, where do I find it?

Among your numerous cliffs, rocks, do they exist in a seasonal version?

Thank you.
p8qjal3.jpg
[/QUOTEDlas
It's one of pencils irrigation ditches that I reskinned , unfortunately it's not seasonal .i'll upload the reskin for you to the DLS if you want .

Track laying with the fill underneath is tricky at 7.5%, (roads crossing the 7.5% looks a bit weird too ) I keep on dropping the track into the fill and then later on, it seems to pop up again , even tho its locked in place. Some sections have been done multiple times , its most annoying, especially when the fill is deep, then the spline points disappear and you have to guess where they are as the fill isn't transparent even when textures are turned off so you can see the grid. Anyway, onward ever onward, so far frame rates seem to be holding up despite the vast amount of scrub that has to be used in this section , I've had to use the forest summer trees as many of the smaller cl bushes by Clam look good up close, but seem transparent when further away , very weird, I'm sure they didn't look like that in earlier versions of TANE

Yes rather annoying that transparent effect, same as in TRS19 although in the latest build it seems to not be as bad.
Crossing on slopes? can be done if you make the actual crossing as a trackside asset and use "follow-gradient 1" less the quotes in the config. I had that issue on the Welsh Highland part of the FR WHR route with crossings on the 1 in 40, 2.5% gradient of which there is a lot.

Yes rather annoying that transparent effect, same as in TRS19 although in the latest build it seems to not be as bad.
Crossing on slopes? can be done if you make the actual crossing as a trackside asset and use "follow-gradient 1" less the quotes in the config. I had that issue on the Welsh Highland part of the FR WHR route with crossings on the 1 in 40, 2.5% gradient of which there is a lot.

its very annoying, now I've revisited the route,changes in the builds have occurred that I estimate are going to take me an extra six months to replace all the stuff that used to look fine with different items, . Shame as those TN bushes were invaluable.

the strangely named Moro Castle bend ...

Good afternoon from Madrid.

The curve of the Moorish castle strangely called ... Well, during the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula between 711 and 1492 (800 years !! + -) by the Christian kingdoms the Muslims were called "Moros". The origin of the word is in the Roman province of Mauritania whose inhabitants were called Mauros.

Returning to the curve, probably that section of the railroad is made on some old road, "baptized" by some Spanish conqueror of America with that name because it reminded him of the climb to one of the many Moorish castles that were in Spain.

Regards, Javier

Good afternoon from Madrid.

The curve of the Moorish castle strangely called ... Well, during the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula between 711 and 1492 (800 years !! + -) by the Christian kingdoms the Muslims were called "Moros". The origin of the word is in the Roman province of Mauritania whose inhabitants were called Mauros.

Returning to the curve, probably that section of the railroad is made on some old road, "baptized" by some Spanish conqueror of America with that name because it reminded him of the climb to one of the many Moorish castles that were in Spain.

Regards, Javier
I've just had a look at the Polley books to see the origins of the name , but nothing i can find so far.

Been working on the top ledge of the south side of Baxter pass. The escarpment files allow me to get much closer to the real thing and I found one photo by Nathan Holmes of DRGW net that shows the cliffs from the front, totally invaluable. There is also one very early black and white photo that shows the entire top route, allowing me to place vegetation accurately. more needs to be done on the trop cliffs further away, but its getting close to completion .
XhveKsR.jpg

4FxGyT2.jpg

mn3qdTB.jpg

hjSvPQ7.jpg

tL37hLY.jpg

NuuHE1Q.jpg

agmdPUF.jpg

I've been working on the north side of the pass too and Paul Gorski has come up with a new better looking low poly sage, so things are looking promising. Once this key part of the route is completed i will probably put the entire thing up as a WIP.

Last edited:
Thanks for compliments gents, it's starting to look a bit more like I want it to do. All these shrubs were causing rather slow performance, but I lowered most of them down below the ground and things have improved a lot , the shrubs were too high anyway on the top of the cliffs, I've also used large rmm shrubs and buried them so only the top is showing, they are 7 metres across and cover the ground faster. Unfortunately moving into new house next week so I doubt much will be done for a few weeks at least.

Best of luck with your move! I looked up the 1880s Old West route because it had good sage, but of course it was dmdrake's, and the route is completely ruined in 2019. The sage is all but transparent, as you have pointed out so often...

Best of luck with your move! I looked up the 1880s Old West route because it had good sage, but of course it was dmdrake's, and the route is completely ruined in 2019. The sage is all but transparent, as you have pointed out so often...

its criminal that all those nice assets are now pretty much useless in 2019, i really cant forgive NV3 for that move, it would not be so bad if they had a fix for it , but they don't even seem remotely interested in that side of things, presuming some of us will sort it out for them. I cant think of another group of users that put up with this sort of stuff ( apart from mac users , so I have a double burden to bear :))

Especially when there is little alternative! When I go looking for trees and shrubs I sort by version, but I find myself well down into the 3.x versions most of the time before finding anything. I am looking more at rmm's speed trees, as they are about the only thing usable in a recent version. And Auran's assets? Pfft! Most of them are horrible to start with! Trees that are gnarled and twisted or with dead branches or branches pruned off a foot long (Now who prunes trees like that? Seriously?) or with stob tops. I don't think they even bothered to look at real trees.... Your conscientiousness is really showing though. It is looking wonderful!

Especially when there is little alternative! When I go looking for trees and shrubs I sort by version, but I find myself well down into the 3.x versions most of the time before finding anything. I am looking more at rmm's speed trees, as they are about the only thing usable in a recent version. And Auran's assets? Pfft! Most of them are horrible to start with! Trees that are gnarled and twisted or with dead branches or branches pruned off a foot long (Now who prunes trees like that? Seriously?) or with stob tops. I don't think they even bothered to look at real trees.... Your conscientiousness is really showing though. It is looking wonderful!

spot on, in one of her rare posts McGuirel was criticizing rmm's tree as being heavy on frame rates but they seem ok for the most part, I had used a fair number of her M series trees a few years ago, when i was first working on Baxter pass, but unfortunately her trees seem very dark now and rather fuzzy so replaced them with the summer forest or the rmm kust shrubs. I modded one of clams bushes and made it greener and it seems less thin now. His only really have an issue when viewed at a distance , but of course baxter pass has huge distances , I'm hoping when i add all the other shrubs and trees on hills on the far side of the pass it wont overwhelm the card , the north side is narrower, but heavily wooded, so far its going ok, I finally have got a handle on where stuff goes, its surprising what one can glean from bikers and SUV drivers videos on you tube , although its a straight ahead view for the most part and they all seem to cut out the same sections of the route from their vids so there are a few gaps:).

After seeing your screenshots and reading the discussion on Moro Castle Bend a couple of pages back, I had to Google that and see what I could find out about it. Some fascinating stuff! No answer on the name though. Maybe one of the bluffs is Moro Castle? Anyway, great to follow your work on this route!

The summit at Baxter pass
ebQGQ5L.jpg

This is as close a recreation of a scene from Sept 11th 1911 when the only troop train ever was run on the line met with a regular passenger train hauled by number 21 .
i don't have the tool car that was part of the train , Shay number 2 or any of the troops. The wye had not been installed yet. Otherwise its close.

UFAFxqU.jpg

3fToCgP.jpg

The section house would not be a place to be stationed in for the winter months as the pass was regularly snowed in .
doIJDfj.jpg

it would have been a rarity to ever have two passenger trains going in the same direction on this line. Early on passenger traffic was good, as there were few other alternatives ,but by the 1930s traffic had largely dried up , as improved roads opened up the area.Most early traffic was to Vernal but later on this was by far the longest route to get there as one had to get a stage or bus from Watson to Vernal over very poor roads, by then better newer highways had been constructed, most roads in this area are still unpaved to this day. There were plans to take the train through to Vernal and this may well have happened if the extension to Bonanza had gone ahead.

Last edited:
I love your work on this route.
On the matter of trees and shrubs, I think I have found a solution (at least one) :eek::hehe:; Today I will send you an e-mail.

Greetings, Javier

Forester1, I believe it was in Rodger Polley's book (but it could have been Bender's) that Morro Castle curve got it's name from the rock formation in the area which came from the Spanish-American war. The rock formation reminded someone of Morro Castle fortress that guarded the entrance to Havana Bay, Cuba. If my memory is correct.

Back