Progress on the Uintah RW

Nice to see another update! Your new plant selections are looking very good!
Yes I'm quite pleased with them , it's great to be able to specify varying sizes to the minky/jvc veg and since Malcolm told me it's possible to drop the bases of the vegetation under the ground, it has saved me many hours work ,I hate floating shrubs grass etc, I wish more creators would remember to add this feature to their creations , makes things so much easier. Thanks to all who have given feedback, makes it easier to continue as some days the task appears insurmountable ..... it's a big route,

Not seen an update on this subject for a while. Was wondering how it was coming along? I hope you are doing ok.

As I’ve said before, what we all have seen looks great.

Looking at some of the recent post that you have done on the download station, are you also working on D&RGW’s Antonito to Chama?

Dangavel has been putting a lot of work into the Timberline route. There is a thread for that going standard gauge. I am amazed at how much productivity he maintains!

EDIT: Correction, in the route name: Timber Ridge. Sorry!

Last edited:
Not seen an update on this subject for a while. Was wondering how it was coming along? I hope you are doing ok.

As I’ve said before, what we all have seen looks great.

Looking at some of the recent post that you have done on the download station, are you also working on D&RGW’s Antonito to Chama?

had some issues with corruption, means i lost about a weeks work , a BIG weeks work , I'm psyching myself up to go back and sort it out, meanwhile I've been working on the timber ridge line in standard gauge for TRS2019. i did some work on Chama to Antonito years back but that was adapting someone else's route in 2012 , had some issues with it doing some strange things with vegetation . the Uintah is still on hand , i have to make a decision about whether to complete it in TANE or drop it into 2019, but that will no doubt cause lots of problems. i'm mulling over whether to release it in sections , then if another part corrupts it will not affect the rest of it.

I’m very sorry to hear about the corruption. I can understand why it may take a while to psych yourself up to go back to it after losing a lot of work. The only thing I can say is that you have a lot us rooting for you on this route and looking forward to it. What we have seen of it has been impressive.

As for breaking it up. Since it is possible to merge routes in Trainz, though I don’t know how much trouble this would be since I’ve not done it. It might be helpful, since you would be dealing with smaller areas and they would be easier and faster to backup as well. I would hope the completed route could be merged and it would be one where you could going from Mack to Watson and beyond, but that is me.

On whether to drop TANE and go to 2019, imho the question at the moment would be which would be easier for you. Most TANE routes will run in 2019, you get some improvement in graphics by going to 2019, but at a cost. Again, speaking for myself, I’m going to get this route whether it is for TANE or 2019.

On Antonito to Chama, I saw a few recent things you had put on the Download Station, for the Cumbres Toltec and it got me to wondering. I’ve been working on learning a CAD program by working on the snow shed at Cumbres. Of course, the biggest problem is Antonito and how do you do three rail track for trainz.

Back to the topic, I hope you able to psych yourself back to the Uintah soon and we all really appreciate the work you have done. From what we all have seen this is truly a very great route. I’ve sent links to your screenshots to some modeler friends to show what can be done in Trainz.

Route Example of separate Modules to merge.

Evening Sir Dan,

Here is a Route for reference, that is cut up for distribution Pieces, you can make the Route as large or as small as you want...........It took a little time with some of the corners but it worked out great for me.........Maybe this will help you with some ideas about cutting up your Route into pieces (modules) as you complete the sections..........

<kuid:647907:100319> CDE Turn 90 SW
<kuid:647907:101367> CDE Auto Plant Chrysler
<kuid:647907:100082> CDE Logging Camp
<kuid:647907:101923> CDE Oil Refinery West
<kuid:647907:101401> CDE T Intersection LH
<kuid:647907:100313> CDE Turn 90 NW
<kuid:647907:100310> CDE Turn 90 NE
<kuid:490249:100124> CDE_MIN CHECK
<kuid:647907:100316> CDE Turn 90 SE

I’m very sorry to hear about the corruption. I can understand why it may take a while to psych yourself up to go back to it after losing a lot of work. The only thing I can say is that you have a lot us rooting for you on this route and looking forward to it. What we have seen of it has been impressive.

As for breaking it up. Since it is possible to merge routes in Trainz, though I don’t know how much trouble this would be since I’ve not done it. It might be helpful, since you would be dealing with smaller areas and they would be easier and faster to backup as well. I would hope the completed route could be merged and it would be one where you could going from Mack to Watson and beyond, but that is me.

On whether to drop TANE and go to 2019, imho the question at the moment would be which would be easier for you. Most TANE routes will run in 2019, you get some improvement in graphics by going to 2019, but at a cost. Again, speaking for myself, I’m going to get this route whether it is for TANE or 2019.

On Antonito to Chama, I saw a few recent things you had put on the Download Station, for the Cumbres Toltec and it got me to wondering. I’ve been working on learning a CAD program by working on the snow shed at Cumbres. Of course, the biggest problem is Antonito and how do you do three rail track for trainz.

Back to the topic, I hope you able to psych yourself back to the Uintah soon and we all really appreciate the work you have done. From what we all have seen this is truly a very great route. I’ve sent links to your screenshots to some modeler friends to show what can be done in Trainz.

thanks very much for your kind words, i Do intend to go back to it soon, the watson to bonanza section is pretty much complete. I'll probably go back to that change the vegetation fix any major flaws and release it all as a WIP. if it remains in house and i suddenly drop dead it would be a shame if no one could ever drive it but me .

That's interesting Blue, I had seen those various routes, but had not realized they were pieces parts and wasn't sure what to make of them. Nice to know. I am like ursa2, I have never tried to merge routes, but I guess there is always the day to learn something new. It would be interesting to try to break up the Uintah, as from what I have seen one would always be missing something really cool unless he had all the pieces!

Sir Forester1 a little more info to help you out here

That's interesting Blue, I had seen those various routes, but had not realized they were pieces parts and wasn't sure what to make of them. Nice to know. I am like ursa2, I have never tried to merge routes, but I guess there is always the day to learn something new. It would be interesting to try to break up the Uintah, as from what I have seen one would always be missing something really cool unless he had all the pieces!

Forester,

I think you would like the CDE Trainz Routes, they are not too large, and all you do when you merge, change the one of Layer names by a letter or number........

"route-layer" becomes "routea-layer" or whatever you like.....Some folks are quite Creative in naming conventions..........

Slide one of the end pieces in on corner........

Here is a picture of the Route Merges........So you get a feel of how this Route might look.......

I took and double added the same Module of this Route in two different spots, because I want to change the second module by expanding the lake Water areas..........Kind of like Kit Bashing things together for alternate purposes........In this Route, there are no blank Tile Boards, they give you all the pieces.......I didn't have a picture of completed Route, so it took me a couple of nights to fool around and figure what pieces fit together.......

Also while I think about it FootplatePhil has done this with his Weddin Route too......If you goto his Thread he discusses how he sets up the different Routes for merging too......

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/sho...renfell-and-Eugowra-branch-lines-on-DLS/page2

Goto msg #52....

See this part of it.....Bottom of last Photo in Msg #52....

Quotes:

Merge Instructions.

1. Download the new 'WeddinNSW - Young Extension' module from the DLS.

2. Clone WeddinNSW V4 to your own KUID.

3. In Surveyor 'Edit' your cloned version of WeddninNSW V4.

4. You will need to position the compass/cursor at the southern end of Weddin, just in front of the staging yard.

5. Delete the two (untextured) base boards either side of the staging yard using the 'Topology - Delete Section' tool.

6. Delete the last section of track (which should now be suspended across free air) using the 'Tracks - Delete track' tool.

7. Click the 'System Menu' button at the lop left of screen and select 'Merge Route'.

8. Select 'WeddinNSW - Young Extension' from the list of routes in the 'Merge Route' panel.

9. You should now seen a window with a section of Weddin displayed in map view. Use the mouse scroll wheel to scroll out until the entire Weddin's route is visible.

10. By clicking on the white arrows displayed in the Merge Window position the extension module so it adjoins the southern end of the Weddin map. If any part of the map is displayed in red the two maps are overlapping, and you need to adjust the alignment. When the alignment is correct the red exclamation mark at the top left of the merge window will disappear, and you can click the 'tick' button to complete the merge.

11. Use the 'Tracks - move track' tool to attach the two track spline points either side of the merge point.

12. Save the merged route.

If this merge process seems too complicated, you can always wait for the next release of WeddinNSW, which will include the Young extension. At present I have no estimate of when the next release will be available. I am waiting for NV3 to resolve some of the issues with TurfFX.

Tomtre is working on an updated version of Southlines, which will merge with the extended WeddinNSW. Again, no release date for this has yet been determined. In the meantime if you wish to join Southlines 2014 to the extended WeddinNSW you will need to first delete the Southlines base boards corresponding/overlapping with WeddinNSW Young extension.

Phil
Phil
"WeddinNSW: South lines to the Lachlan" now available on the DLS. Uses only included and DLS content.

End of Quotes

Last edited:
progress report.
There has been no progress.
After the setback with corruption of 100 boards on one section, me giving up in utter frustration and then the racing to complete the Timber Ridge standard gauge version, I was thoroughly burnt out a few months ago.
I'm still doing another non related rail project , but it is almost completed and I do have some stirrings to get back and put at least some of the route online.

I will attempt to begin to delete boards, which is going to take weeks, and get a version that will work in TANE up as soon as I can. we are removing our covid restrictions here soon, so the likelihood of me getting it and possibly never competing the route is spurring me to act , I must admit I'm not looking forward to the hassle of getting rid of all the non dls items, and reading the forum confirms all my annoyances over the software, but I don't want to waste three years of work , so I'll be back soon all being well.

progress report.
There has been no progress.
After the setback with corruption of 100 boards on one section, me giving up in utter frustration and then the racing to complete the Timber Ridge standard gauge version, I was thoroughly burnt out a few months ago.
I'm still doing another non related rail project , but it is almost completed and I do have some stirrings to get back and put at least some of the route online.

I will attempt to begin to delete boards, which is going to take weeks, and get a version that will work in TANE up as soon as I can. we are removing our covid restrictions here soon, so the likelihood of me getting it and possibly never competing the route is spurring me to act , I must admit I'm not looking forward to the hassle of getting rid of all the non dls items, and reading the forum confirms all my annoyances over the software, but I don't want to waste three years of work , so I'll be back soon all being well.

It sounds like we need to document back up and recovery procedures. At the back of my mind Trainz keeps a number of backups so provided you are quick enough and save the backups when something goes wrong or you notice some corruption then you should be able to recover. It's probably too late for you but it might help someone else.

John

Overjoyed to see you back sir! But sad to hear about the corruption, yes, it would be great if you could just rely on a backup, as it sounds like there is a lot of work ahead. What you have shown of the Uintah route though is of such high quality and the route is unique, so I would hate to see it disappear. If there was any way to help I would be first to volunteer, but I don't know what it would be.

My trainz backs up something every two weeks for the last three months.

Have you looked in the TS19 backup folder? Step one would be to copy this folder to another location.

Thanks John

My trainz backs up something every two weeks for the last three months.

Have you looked in the TS19 backup folder? Step one would be to copy this folder to another location.

Thanks John
I'm using tane , not 2019 , but I understand what you mean,however I've been through this before in detail months ago but I'll run over it again, I have an older backup that is not corrupted, I usually save a cdp of the route several times a day, but Backups haven't been of any use as I only spotted the issue a week after it occurred , on a section I hadn't been working on, the map showed no issues at all, it was only when I zoomed down to ground level that the damage was evident ,an entire section of 100 boards that was completed has dropped hundreds of meters, and all details have vanished,even though colours are still there in the map view , meanwhile I'd done a week or so of highly detailed creek and cliff work on my daily saved cups , work that I don't want to do again, i have an Oder, glitch free version that's ok, but I would have to redo all that work again on it .

So The best strategy I can think of that doesn't involve me losing that work Is deleting 70 miles of boards on one version and a few hundred boards in the other and merging the two again . I've gone over all theses options months ago in another thread , It was my fault this occurred as I'd filled up the hard drive accidentally one night by transferring a load of music files onto it, instead of dumping then on another drive , thus when I saved the route there wasn't room for the routeto save directly after this occurred ,I checked to see if there was corruption iby looking at the route in map view and all looked ok, but the corruption which such that it was not visible until one looked at it at ground level. Whatever I do involves me redoing a lot of work , whatever strategy I adopt involves a great deal of work to get back to where I was before I gave up in disgust at myself and the software . My audio app tells me when there's not enough room to save a file, trainz just goes ahead and saves regardless whether or not there is disc space to do so safely.

Last edited:
One of the disadvantages of dropping work on one project and moving to another is, in my zeal to try and remove excess assets I've made , I seem to have accidentally removed some trees I created using the minky/ jvc trees , I now hive a section with several hundred missing trees, I found Tzarc assets which looked like the deleted ones replaced them, no change , somehow or other the asset has gone , it's not around as a tzarc , so I now have to replace all those trees as well as the boards that are corrupt.
I am considering just uploading the undamaged route and letting people play with it if they want to but there will be many items missing, not essential ones in general, although people would have a very limited range of locos as unless you have Ben Neal's 0-6-2 tanks updated , the only loco that is stock that will work in tane is number 51 . All the others have been reskinned by me and I can't put them on dls due to their build numbers . Togog indicated he would have a go at making number 30 but he's been really busy with updating his other items and have no idea if he ever made a start on it or not .its thundering all day today so not using computer , will see what's on dls and work out if the existing route would look ok without too much work, the assets that are missing are mostly stuff from jangos donner pass route, so quite a few people would already have those items.

Dangavel, just curious, as I know you uploaded a LOT of Uintah assets to DLS, especially rock formations and cliff splines, etc. I have downloaded most if not all, and I see greaswood, sage, shrubs, generic small trees, etc. Also seeing pinyon, spruce, juniper (all JVC:BLUEPRINT as well as many of each that are not), generic low pine, fir-tree snow, etc., to the tune of some 215 assets of type "Scenery". Is any of what you lost by any chance on the DLS?

Dangavel, just curious, as I know you uploaded a LOT of Uintah assets to DLS, especially rock formations and cliff splines, etc. I have downloaded most if not all, and I see greaswood, sage, shrubs, generic small trees, etc. Also seeing pinyon, spruce, juniper (all JVC:BLUEPRINT as well as many of each that are not), generic low pine, fir-tree snow, etc., to the tune of some 215 assets of type "Scenery". Is any of what you lost by any chance on the DLS?
Nah, they would show upas being available to download, that's another reason why I started putting up all theses items there in case this sort of thing happened I may have a backup on another hard drive which has this tree on it, I transferred the entire route onto that tane install to see how it worked in windows it's an external, my trouble is I have so many drives and computers used for various projects I get confused as to what's where and on what &#55357;&#56832;&#55357;&#56832;&#55357;&#56832; of course by now I could probably have replaced the trees in the same time that I've spent looking for this pesky missing item. &#55357;&#56854;

Back