And now we are less than 2,000 active members

Hi Everybody...the number of active members...
Who do you think are the active members being counted in the Forum stats at the bottom of the main form page? Perhaps we are not talking about the same people. I think they are just those that participate in the forum and not all the ones actually using Trainz.

Hi again Everybody.
Who do you think are the active members being counted in the Forum stats at the bottom of the main form page? Perhaps we are not talking about the same people. I think they are just those that participate in the forum and not all the ones actually using Trainz.

I would agree Martin that "active members" would in all probability be those who participate on the forum. However i am very dubious in regard to that figure suddenly start to increase just after the start of this thread which raised the matter of the slow drop in active members.

As i stated in an earlier posting in this thread, the active member total should represent a percentage of total active users. However, if the figure of active members can be easily "manipulated" for whatever reason, then obviously the figure is meaningless in terms of representative total user numbers.

Bill

Last edited:
up-951-van.jpg
railvan4.jpg
railfan_meme_by_railroadbrony4412-d8oph8n.jpg

So there are ~2000 active. BUT if we look at the title of the stats, it is called Trainz Discussion Forums Statistics. So out of the 802,394 members, only 2005 have been active in the forums in the recent past. If this was a forum sim, that might be a worrisome stat but I figure most of the rest are too busy with Trainz to bother hanging out here. As for the 701 currently active users online, 102 were members and 599 were guests.

Correct, the Title of the statistic indicates that it is the number of active FORUM members, not Trainz software users. A point of note here though, this is not an independent forum, or a third party forum, but instead a forum provided and run BY the company that makes and sells the software, which is much more significant, in this argument. The ratio of Members to Guests is also significant, in that it indicates more accurately, how many people are looking for information on Trainz compared to how many actually want to join and participate in the community. In the quoted figure, we see that nearly 6 to 1, Trainz software users are having problems and searching for answers rather than wanting to "make Trainz friends". That does not bode well for the "quality" of a product.

So while some spend time in the forums, I would venture a guess and say that most are busy actually using Trainz. And since many can be off-line while using Trainz, it would be hard to really pin down the actual number of users.

Again, quoting your 102 to 599 ratio, I'd say they are busy trying to find answers as to why their Trainz software isn't functioning, more likely than using the software.

As a side note, looking at the download stats from the DLS, some have way over 1,000,000 downloads. Even if some of those are duplicate downloads which CM should prevent, there are a lot of people downloading stuff and that is just from the DLS.

Not necessarily true at all. I've had 4 different "generations" of Trainz software, installed on 5 different computers EACH, and reinstalled at least 5 times after a complete hard drive failure... I ALONE have potentially downloaded certain items up to TWENTY FIVE times (yep, downloaded the same ugly house, 25 separate times, because some random route required it).

-- With all that said, it's all moot, because the OP did not ask any of that. They asked "What is the requirement to be considered an 'Active Trainz Forum Member'?"

Back