Problem with ground texture

Christopher824

CDETrainz.com
Hello,

I am having a problem applying a texture on one of my routes in TANE. It is only happing in the one route, not any others. The texture is Seasonal Sand and this is what happens when I try to apply it...

Texture Error 1.jpg

I have checked for Out of Date asset, rebuilt my database, saved as the route with a new name and tried again, but it just does not work. My other routes are not effected at all by this, it is just the one route. Where would I look to see what is messed up? Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you for any help in advance.

It sounds like one of those assets that doesn't trigger any formal error messages yet is non-functional. What's the kuid number and where did you get it? I can't find any texture of that name on the DLS or in my installed assets.

Last edited:
It sounds like one of those assets that doesn't trigger any formal error messages yet is non-functional. What's the kuid number and where did you get it? I can't find any texture of that name on the DLS or in my installed assets.

<kuid:407941:1081>

Works fine in other routes, been using it for years, never had a problem with it.

I am having a problem applying a texture on one of my routes in TANE.

Do you mean <kuid:407941:1081>?

This is a poorly constructed asset, but it is easily fixed.

Create the following files by copying and renaming any existing texture.txt file from a working texture.
snow.texture.txt
summer.texture.txt
summer_norm.texture.txt

Adjust the Primary: and Alpha: lines in those files to refer to their matching TGA filename. eg
Primary=snow.tga
Alpha=snow.tga

for snow.texture.txt. Then, in the config.txt file, change every reference to a TGA file to the corresponding texture.txt file (without the .txt). This is 10 places.
eg
diffuse-texture "summer.texture"

Use lower-case for all filenames - it is difficult to predict when case matters, so just be consistent.

Do you mean <kuid:407941:1081>?

Yes, that is what I posted

This is a poorly constructed asset, but it is easily fixed.

I use this asset in other routes for years, it has never given me a problem, the asset itself is not the problem, it is a very good asset in my opinion, as are all the 'Seasonal' Assets by 407941. It still works fine in my other routes, and I can edit and add more of it, with no problems in other routes. It is just broke in one route only.

Create the following files by copying and renaming any existing texture.txt file from a working texture.
snow.texture.txt
summer.texture.txt
summer_norm.texture.txt

Adjust the Primary: and Alpha: lines in those files to refer to their matching TGA filename. eg
Primary=snow.tga
Alpha=snow.tga

for snow.texture.txt. Then, in the config.txt file, change every reference to a TGA file to the corresponding texture.txt file (without the .txt). This is 10 places.
eg
diffuse-texture "summer.texture"

Use lower-case for all filenames - it is difficult to predict when case matters, so just be consistent.

None of this works, not sure where yhou are trying to go with this fix.. But thanks for the response

OK, it's SeasonalSand, not Seasonal Sand. That's why I couldn't find it by name.

Are you sure you used SailorDan's method correctly? The config should end up looking like this (disregard the changes I made to the category-tags, they are not relevant to the problem);

Code:
kuid                                    <kuid:407941:1081>
username                                "SeasonalSand"
kind                                    "groundtexture"
trainz-build                            3.2
texture                                 "summer.texture"
normal-texture                          "summer_NORM.texture"
texture-variants
{
  {
    diffuse-texture                     "summer.texture"
    normal-texture                      "summer_NORM.texture"
  }

{
  }

{
  }

{
    diffuse-texture                     "snow.texture"
  }
}
season-selector
{
  above-snow-line                       1

branch-true
  {
    output-season                       4
  }

branch-false
  {
    season-range                        0.25,0.75

branch-true
    {
      season-range                      0.25,0.5

branch-true
      {
        output-season                   1
      }

branch-false
      {
        output-season                   2
      }
    }

branch-false
    {
      output-season                     0
    }
  }
}
category-class                          "GS"
category-era                            "1800s"
category-region                         "US"
category-keyword                         "sandy;seasonal;snow"
license                                 "One or more textures on this 3D model have been created with images from CGTextures.com. These images may not be redistributed by default, please visit www.cgtextures.com for more information."
thumbnails
{
  {
    image                               "screenshot.jpg"
    width                               240
    height                              180
  }
}
kuid-table
{
}
author                                  "Trainzer2"

And the texture.txt files for each image are;

snow.texture.txt
Code:
Primary=snow.tga
Alpha=snow.tga

summer.texture.txt
Code:
Primary=summer.tga
Alpha=summer.tga

summer_norm.texture.txt
Code:
Primary=summer_norm.tga
Alpha=summer_norm.tga
NormalMapHint=normalmap

Before fixing everything, the texture doesn't show, in fact it erases whatever texture I already have on the ground and replaces it with bare baseboard grid. I guess this is what you were seeing too.

T:ANE's error checking doesn't throw red faults, but there are lots of warnings. It's the texture bits that are the problem;

PHP:
! VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.
! VE22: Missing or invalid selection for tag 'category-region' in 'groundtexture'.
! VE176: The tag 'texture' in 'groundtexture' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in 'groundtexture' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '0' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in '0' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '1' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in '1' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '2' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in '2' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '4' must have a texture file extension.
! VE176: The tag 'normal-texture' in '4' must have a texture file extension.
! VE113: An image file ('summer.tga') has been supplied where a texture file ('*.texture.txt') is required.

After fixing as above, the only problems I see now are of an artistic nature more than technical. The normal map should give a pseudo-3D impression of sand ripples, but I don't see anything but uniform, flat yellow sand. I wonder if it's related to the author's use of capital letters in the config when the texture files are all in lowercase. And the 'snow' looks like brown sand, not white snow, but that's down to the author's artistic choice.

Last edited:
Okay, after fiddling around and following the instructions more carefully, it is now working.

Thank you everyone who chimed in to help me solve the problem.

I tried this with SeasonalGrass6 but got this error:

! <kuid:407941:1066> VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'texture' in 'groundtexture' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in 'groundtexture' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '1' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '2' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '4' refers to a nonexistent file: 'snow_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE115: The texture file 'summer.texture' does not exist.

I tried this with SeasonalGrass6 but got this error:

! <kuid:407941:1066> VE48: This asset uses an obsolete trainz-build number. Trainz-build numbers below 3.5 are no longer supported.- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'texture' in 'groundtexture' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in 'groundtexture' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'diffuse-texture' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '0' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '1' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '2' refers to a nonexistent file: 'summer_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE30: The tag 'normal-texture' in '4' refers to a nonexistent file: 'snow_norm.texture'.
- <kuid:407941:1066> VE115: The texture file 'summer.texture' does not exist.

I simply quit using the assets that don't display properly, see my post #1 of this thread. If you read the whole thread there are suggestions on how to fix the older assets. I just quit using them and use the much improved newer assets in TANE.

From what I understand there will be way more improved 'TurfFX' assets available soon... Can't wait, I will be replacing all my ground to the new ground textures... Can't wait!!! See Here

Back