Which video card to use

fourteen

which video card should i use?
1.the built in one a amd r7 7600 8gb meg of memory shared with computer i belive
2. nvidia geoforce gt 440 2gb of memory
3. nvidia geoforce gt 520 2gb of memory

i have the two nvidia ones out of older machines, dont want to buy a newer one right now.

this web site
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=4196&framesPerSecond=Trainz Simulator 2012
gave the gt 440 a score of 1620 and the gt 520 a score of 1546, i would think the newer one whould score higher.

Nvidia cards are not necessarily better because they are newer unless you jump several versions, an xx40 is higher performance than an xx20 which is low end entry level card, often going back a few years the lowest level card was a rebranded card from the older range.

Comparison of GT440 v GT520 here: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GT-520-vs-GeForce-GT-440 Not much in it, however the 440 is better.

I have a GT430 ... I wouldn't expect allot from it ... Bought it in a BigBox store for $129, online it was $49 ... I got ripped off ... should have replaced my 300w Lite Off power supply with a 1200w PS ... then I could have put in a high wattage video card

Interesting that the older card is a better card. Also thanks for that web site.

The older series 440 was at the higher-end of the lower-end cards that's why it's better than the newer 520.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-520MX.54717.0.html = lower end video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-420M.35837.0.html = fast, mid-range video card.

Find the card(s) in the list on the right and you'll see where they stand in the video card world.

I have a GT430 ... I wouldn't expect allot from it ... Bought it in a BigBox store for $129, online it was $49 ... I got ripped off ... should have replaced my 300w Lite Off power supply with a 1200w PS ... then I could have put in a high wattage video card

The biggest issue with the Fermi chipset was heat and power draw with the bigger GTX480s topping out the series with some good power sucking action! I had one of these things, and it could raise a blister if you touched the heat sink!

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-480.110140.0.html

The subsequent Kepler chipset which appeared with the GTX6xx series started the ball rolling in the direction we have now as that lead to the Pascal chips with their further power draw. For all intent and purposes, a GTX1060 is a faster equivalent of the GTX780Ti as it sits in between the 780Ti and the GTX980.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060.167603.0.html

Then we move up the ladder with the GTX1070 being faster than the GTX980

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1070-Desktop.165776.0.html

And now the top of the line in the NVidia world:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-Desktop.199810.0.html

I put the 440 in the computer this weekend, had a bit of problem with it, the Hp computer did not like ether of my cards. Just gave some beeps and would not boot up. Was able to find on the web that had to change a couple setting in the bios. Did not like the way the bios was set up made it hard to find what I had to change. However once got that changed the 440 card is now installed and working. Down the road when I get enough money saved up will put a better card in the computer.

I put the 440 in the computer this weekend, had a bit of problem with it, the Hp computer did not like ether of my cards. Just gave some beeps and would not boot up. Was able to find on the web that had to change a couple setting in the bios. Did not like the way the bios was set up made it hard to find what I had to change. However once got that changed the 440 card is now installed and working. Down the road when I get enough money saved up will put a better card in the computer.

I'm glad you got that working. it's not a bad card; just a bit old now, though it was great in its day. It's funny (not!) how fast this stuff becomes obsolete.

HP computers are a pain with their weird BIOS. When I was a company tech, before I retired, I used to support HP workstations and desktop PCs. They didn't like anything that wasn't HP-modified which made replacing components difficult. There are a couple of issues you might run into with your HP computer. The case might not hold a larger video card, and the power supply might not be strong enough. The power supply might prove a difficult component to update too due to their proprietary size, being just a tad too long for the standard ATX size, as well as the power connector being different.

With my HP workstations, I had another issue with the hard drives containing a proprietary firmware on the drives. The drives were Seagate SCSI drives (something says to me they were 9GB), but when replaced with a standard Seagate drive they wouldn't work. HP put some add-on in the firmware for the SMTP notifications so the drive hardware could phone home when failing. They did the same with their old Compaq ProLiant servers as well, though I will say the old ProLiant servers ran forever. My old systems were still operating nearly 10 years after they were purchased new. We shut them down for good in July 2009 when the company closed and they had run 24/7 365 days prior since 1999 except for 2 days when we moved from one location to our final building.

Belive it has a 300 watt power supply. I had swapped out power supplies on my older HP computer when I thought it was the problem, turned out it was the mother board going bad, second HP mother board to go bad in a year.
A few years back had a machine running win98 and it would not recognize my Microsoft mouse even after updating the drivers for it. Don't remember what I did to fix that.

Belive it has a 300 watt power supply. I had swapped out power supplies on my older HP computer when I thought it was the problem, turned out it was the mother board going bad, second HP mother board to go bad in a year.
A few years back had a machine running win98 and it would not recognize my Microsoft mouse even after updating the drivers for it. Don't remember what I did to fix that.

You might be lucky then and HP might have finally gotten smart enough to use off-the-shelf components which they didn't due in the not so distant past.

From what I've heard, the quality of HP components has dropped considerably over the years., and from what I can tell from their venerable Laser Jets and Desk Jet printers this is sadly true. I used to use HP LJ3si printers which had upwards of 1.5 million pages on them. We would do the maintenance on them, replace rollers and fusers on a regular basis, and these printers operated forever. I then worked for Polaroid and supported LJ4si, LJ4000, and LJ8000s. When the company was moving I took home a LJ4si which finally died and was scrapped. That printer had about 2.5 million pages on it and the laser board went in it.

Today that's not the case. Their inject printers are pure garbage. Sure they cost only $199, but still many I got while at my last job were DOA right from CDW.

That mouse issue sounds familiar. I had a similar issue too and ended trying two or three mice before I found one that worked. To this day I can't figure out what the issue was. It may very well have been a hardware problem; perhaps something to do with the timing of the components, which I've seen with other boards and devices.

Just about make of printer now is throwaway printer. To replace the ink costs almost the same as getting new printer. I have three printers that work, but costs to much to replace the ink. Smashed the oldest one to pieces for parts for a ho scale layout.

Just about make of printer now is throwaway printer. To replace the ink costs almost the same as getting new printer. I have three printers that work, but costs to much to replace the ink. Smashed the oldest one to pieces for parts for a ho scale layout.

I have a Canon Image class Laser, seems to work fine and has for a number of years. I do drop in new brand name cartridges but locally refilled ones are available for $35.

Cheerio John

Back