Seeking contact details for The Cowboy, creator of UP 9000 steam loco

nimec

Does anyone out there have the contact details for The Cowboy, Shane Penman, the creator of the UP9000 steam loco?

If so would you be good enough to PM me with his phone, email or contact details please?

If I can contact him I want to ask him if he will let his loco be updated and made available again [as pay ware so that he is not short changed] but available to the TANE game and the newer trainzers.

There was a post somewhere on this forum a couple of years ago by The Cowboy who said he wasn't able to upgrade it to the new standards himself and if I recall correctly, he said he had no objection to anyone else doing it as long as they still credited him with the creation of the loco. I can’t find it again and unfortunately didn't retain it, and when I searched for it again recently found there were too many references to the UP 9000 to pursue it.

As Shane was from the US, possibly one of the US Trainzers knows him and can contact him to get it sorted or let me know his contact details we can work at getting them legally available again. From memory his posts seemed amicable and he didn't seem like one of the types who wanted to hinder progress.

The Following is from one of The Cowboys posts where he thanked people after one of the earlier UP 9000 upgrades:

This project and upgrade is indebted to my beta testers, Eric Whitmore, Tony Weber, Terry Bryson and Gary Hoorn. Eric's expertise and knowledge have been invaluable to making the models more authentic. The beta testers need a big round of thanks for finding all the little mistakes that I overlooked. Finally hats off to PhilC and his scripting that has helped to make the locomotives much more realistic. To thank PhilC, please visit his website and purchase some of his fine locomotives.

If any of these guys are still involved with Trainz then perhaps you can PM me Shane’s contact details, particularly his phone number or email so that I may call him.

My suggestion to Shane will be that, if he will agree, then one of the e spec and update gurus could perhaps bring the loco up to TANE standard and make them available again as payware, through N3V.[or JR etc ] as

As they were payware, I think they should remain so, even if they are updated by a third party, but sold through say N3V who take a percentage for their handling etc. with a majority going to The Cowboy, the original creator, or his family/descendants’.

If ‘retired’ creators and N3V don’t agree to set up some system like this where N3V or similar can act as the sales coordinator and intermediator then some of these classics will be lost and for no good reason other than an inability to work together.

The important thing here is that we need these older creators to give the OK to newer experts update their creations, to bring them up to date and made available to the modern player without concerns about copyright issues.
A protocol for credit and recognition for all parties would be easy to establish. We need to get over this so that we don’t lose quality work. Cheers

Back