How to replace an "unknown KUID" track

HiBaller

19 Years of Trainz
I've downloaded an excellent DEM with prelaid track but the track KUID is unknown. I've searched high and low for it, but no results. It used to be on a web site long ago, but has gone away. KUID 57230:38106.

It would be far simpler to replace the track with one from my database. How do I go about that? I can't "get" the missing track so I can't drag it into the "to be replaced" window. I know it can't be edited into the config file. Relaying track over the extensive route would be a giant pain.

I seem to remember a thread, long ago, that gave a procedure for replacing an unknown KUID, but I can't find it now (if it ever existed). I think it involved cloning the track you wanted to use and changing the KUID, replacing the track, and then deleting the cloned KUID. Would that work?

Bill

Bill,

I saved the info to a text file. :)

"Fixing White Splines...

I got this a while back from James Moody.

The following information comes via the lead developer for N3V Games. I had to use this last night and I know it works.

The dashed white lines isn't "a missing asset" - it's the asset that Trainz turns to when it can't find the asset it is supposed to draw there. These white lines are, in themselves, an asset. You can find this asset in CM. It's called "Missing spline", and it's by Rob. Open it for edit. Change the KUID from <kuid:523:1124> to <kuid2:523:1124:1>, and remove the whole privileges container (containing the line "permit-listing 0") Then install that asset as if it were a new asset - e.g. drag the folder from windows explorer back onto the CM interface.

Once it's installed, revert the original one (you can't commit changes to it as it's a built-in asset). Result: The dashed white lines now show up in the menu, and can be selected just like any other track spline. You could lay some down if you wanted. More to the point, you can now use the 'replace items' tool to change them to any track spline you have installed...

I will add this. When you install the folder, use the install content option. This will save so much time. Also don't panic when the creator is shown as AURAN. I hope this helps some one."

Remind me how to solve these:
- VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'missing-missing.texture'.
- VE65: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'missing.texture'.
You get those when you follow the above instructions.

But now I have a new problem. There are two errors about missing "texture.txt" files.

Bill
Bill, there are 2 .texture files in that asset. Use PEV's images2tga on the .textures or use AssetX if you've got that set up to work with it. It extracts the images files from the .texture files and creates the necessary texture.txt files.

Then just finish editing the new asset and commit as usual.

Bob Pearson

Last edited:
I did the cloning process in TS12 and then re-edited it in TS12 CM. Then I dragged/dropped the resultant folder into T:ANE. No errors now.

Bill

The only catch is if you download a route that uses more than one type of rail - and all/some of them are unknown KUIDs. Then you can't replace "Missing Spline" with more than one track style.

Bill

Images2TGA gives me a blank error message and nothing else. I don't have AssetX installed.

Bill
Do you have the latest release of images2tga? Sounds like you don't. The latest is required to work with the new .texture format N3V introduced with TANE. I tried in TANE sp1 before I posted #8 above and it worked for me.

AssetX requires PEV's program to work. Some just find it an easier user interface.

Bob Pearson

Bill,

I saved the info to a text file. :)

"Fixing White Splines...

I got this a while back from James Moody.

The following information comes via the lead developer for N3V Games. I had to use this last night and I know it works.

The dashed white lines isn't "a missing asset" - it's the asset that Trainz turns to when it can't find the asset it is supposed to draw there. These white lines are, in themselves, an asset. You can find this asset in CM. It's called "Missing spline", and it's by Rob. Open it for edit. Change the KUID from <kuid:523:1124> to <kuid2:523:1124:1>, and remove the whole privileges container (containing the line "permit-listing 0") Then install that asset as if it were a new asset - e.g. drag the folder from windows explorer back onto the CM interface.

Once it's installed, revert the original one (you can't commit changes to it as it's a built-in asset). Result: The dashed white lines now show up in the menu, and can be selected just like any other track spline. You could lay some down if you wanted. More to the point, you can now use the 'replace items' tool to change them to any track spline you have installed...

I will add this. When you install the folder, use the install content option. This will save so much time. Also don't panic when the creator is shown as AURAN. I hope this helps some one."

Does this work to replace unknown track in TS12(not SP1)? I have never been able to replace known track in TS12 with other track using the asset replace tool . Is there a way to do that? Thanks

Does this work to replace unknown track in TS12(not SP1)? I have never been able to replace known track in TS12 with other track using the asset replace tool . Is there a way to do that? Thanks
Yes you can do this. The Missing Track asset, <kuid:523:1124>, is a built in asset in TS12 (I have Trainz build 61388). I created a new version of it just as described above. It is now available in my track list in Surveyor. In TS12 TB 61388 I can bulk replace the track.

Bob Pearson

I was able to finally make that Asset mod with your spot on howto guide, after a few failed attempts, due to not following exact instructions! (USER ERROR) :'(

:D I'm grateful for this application, as this was probably one of my largest complaints when downloading Routes, and having the displeasure of one, with missing Track Symbols all over the place.

I used this today on one my Routes that 90-95% of the Tracks missing due to the fact I guess the original Route had its tracks put on Session Layer rather than a Route Layer, which is fine for the Author, but sure wasn't good for me or several others that downloaded the Route to play with.

:cool: It took longer finding the Track I liked to replace than the process to do it, about 15 seconds if that and the Tracks where Bulk replaced.

Thank you again for the great information provided here.

Back