[Request / $] DEM Washington - NY - Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

flusi737

SBB Cargo Germany
Deleted...i guess i know why i was away here so long. Still thanks a lot to John for his time and help :)

Felix

Last edited:
Felix,

You do know that this route is quite huge at:

[SIZE=+3]638.704 km / 397 mi

http://mapsof.net/distance-calculator/new_rail

I highly recommend you learn to do this yourself because of the size of the route. The files will be really, really huge and difficult to move back and forth between users, and there's no way of determining other things such as file breaks for transferring files between users because the original will be so huge it won't import into Trainz. T:ANE is a little nicer, but TS12 CM will crash there and then, besides, even working in Trainz with files that huge is clumsy at best. The other thing is trimming. What do you want to include, what do you not want? How many baseboards each side. Do you want 5meter instead of 10meter grid, etc.? Too many questions and decisions for someone just to make a DEM for someone else even if it's for money.

So if you are interested, I have created a quick and easy guide to step you through using TransDem. You need to review the TransDem manual as well so take the time to read and PM me and I'll send you the links to my docs.

[/SIZE]

Hey John,

It is at least 730km I am aware of that, yep :)

The questions you ask would have been answered and discussed via PM, it is indeed not needed to have 20 Baseboards each side. What i've seen is that the DEM Routes - on the DLS by fishlipsatworks for example - are also about 100-200 miles sometimes, including a lot more baseboards each side than necessary for the NEC - this is not a 7500ft high Mountain Region.
If they are 200mb, their CDP size drops to about 20mb when exported from CM. I never had Problems importing files less than 512mb into any CM. So i dont really see the Problem here... (Or do you mean the files that TransDEM puts out?)

For doing it myself - well i once tried and failed with that program, it is not really what i want/need now, to learn another annoying difficult program. Thats why i asked here. Ok, if there is no other way, i'd may try to learn it, but honestly i have better things to do and would probably never get to start working on that route again. Lately i get really fast pissed off if something on my PC doesnt work how i want it to :hehe:

Also, i'd do it in TANE, but hey, i got a $200 Raildriver and i want to use it haha ^.^

Last edited:
Hey John,

It is at least 730km I am aware of that, yep :)

The questions you ask would have been answered and discussed via PM, it is indeed not needed to have 20 Baseboards each side. What i've seen is that the DEM Routes - on the DLS by fishlipsatworks for example - are also about 100-200 miles sometimes, including a lot more baseboards each side than necessary for the NEC - this is not a 7500ft high Mountain Region.
If they are 200mb, their CDP size drops to about 20mb when exported from CM. I never had Problems importing files less than 512mb into any CM. So i dont really see the Problem here... (Or do you mean the files that TransDEM puts out?)

For doing it myself - well i once tried and failed with that program, it is not really what i want/need now, to learn another annoying difficult program. Thats why i asked here xD. Ok, if there is no other way, i'd may try to learn it, but honestly i have better things to do and would probably never get to start working on that route again. Lately i get really fast pissed off if something on my PC doesnt work how i want it to :hehe:

Also, i'd do it in TANE, but hey, i got a $200 Raildriver and i want to use it haha ^.^

You'll want to export more and trimming will have to be done manually anyway because there are areas which you want to extend out of the track viewing range. This will become more of an issue as you get up to the Connecticut coast and up into the Boston area as well as through Virginia and into southern Pennsylvania. The NEC and the surrounding terrain is definitely not flat. I agree it isn't necessary to have 20,000 baseboards :p

Yeah. The actual driving distance is a lot longer than what the crow flies as this program gave. I found out afterwards that you can edit and move the poly line, which I'll have to play with, but anyway TransDem is really not that difficult to use. There's a lot of options you'll never need at the current time and then once you get used to doing the basic stuff, you move on to the more difficult, or as I should say less common stuff.

As far as files go, this is the raw export from TransDEM, this is the output content and not a compressed CDP. CM will take in a CDP up to around 500MB, but then that's a bit sketchy and can be subject to corruption. T:ANE is a little nicer, but there's still that CDP issue. Remember as I said, CDPs are compressed data so a 512 MB CDP contains data that's twice that size. With a TransDEM route already at 1.2GB, yes I've seen that before, Trainz can't handle it well and either crashes on import, as in TS12 did, or is sluggish and clumsy to work in until the baseboards are pared back. Keep in mind it's not just the baseboards that are making these files so big. This is the topographic images, as well which are then embedded into the route files, and the more route data required the bigger the files are.

I will send you a link in the PM of my quick and easy guides. This is the method I use to build routes and so far it's been successful.

The file size of the route will also start to increase dramatically as you start to populate each tile with track, textures and assets - even if you take the recommended measure of only extracting 5m baseboards around the track itself and leaving the remainder at 10m res.

My current 120km/75 mile route is already at around 170Mb zipped into cdp. That's extracted to 6 "boards" either side of the track line, with around 97% of track done and the first pass for scenery across around 66% of the route. I've already done a bit of pruning to reduce the number of boards around the edge, where I'm sure they won't be visible from the cab. Trying to keep the cdp of the finished project under 200Mb but may prove to be a struggle, as I don't know how much adding signalling, speeds and location markers is going to add.

On a more mundane note, any Transdem owner thinking of taking up the original request should check the EULA and if necessary with the author, before accepting money for any work done as this may be against the terms and conditions (even if both parties own the software).

And in terms of the OP request, setting up the DEM and mapping is a miniscule amount of time it will take to actually build and populate a route of that length, even if shared out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back