Is there a demand for Rock Island reskins?

Looking good, what font are you using for this? I am trying to do one of the evans hoppers but can't match the Route Rock font.

Hi everyone- first let me say you're doing some nice work, fourteen. You'll actually get even better results on your engines if you re-draw the engine door lines over the logos / text. Secondly I'd like to provide this high resolution white-on-black logo with both the 'route rock' and 'the rock' block text samples, traced from side-on scanned photos of boxcars. Feel free to use if you'd like. Click the thumbnail for a bigger image:

I planned on doing an actual font with those same letters and the rest of the alphabet [which existed inside the El Reno, OK paint shop until the turn of the century as I recall] and it's actually completely drawn out in vector form, but the font conversion process fell into my pit of projects a while ago- it may be worth finishing off and distributing sometime. You'll also find that the font "Interstate" when italicized is a much, much closer match to the 'billboard' lettering used on the sides of the engines, but seeing as most people probably don't own that font I've supplied another image much like the block lettering above, also traced from a side-on scanned photo of an E unit, though this one isn't quite as big, but again feel free to use if you find a use for it:

Again, great stuff- keep up the good work

Ahh cool thanks. Is this the right interstate font? https://www.fontyukle.net/en/1,Interstate which one of them on the three pages?

The one rock font on some of there stuff with the R & I being bigger gave me fits for a while, never really found a font that is a close match for it. Cant remember right now which font that I used on the SW-1200. You are right I should redraw the engine lines over the font.

I had planned on uploading the C-2000 the other day, however want to work on it a bit more. Spent my free time yesterday doing Trainz database maintenance. Today planning on working on my sons pinewood derby car, so not sure if I will have time today to do it.

Last edited:
Ahh cool thanks. Is this the right interstate font? https://www.fontyukle.net/en/1,Interstate which one of them on the three pages?

The one rock font on some of there stuff with the R & I being bigger gave me fits for a while, never really found a font that is a close match for it. Cant remember right now which font that I used on the SW-1200. You are right I should redraw the engine lines over the font.

The closest match should be interstate black, compressed horizontally to about 80% width then italicized at 14 degrees. I haven't found any good matches for the block lettering on the maroon-whisker paint jobs either, so I might end up drawing that up like the square and billboard lettering as well.

I have made the Big R and the herald as a JPG then resize it to fit what ever mesh I am working on. Will have to give the interstate black a try tomorrow after I get up.
Spent today working on the first three locomotives in the above pictures. Fixed the lettering, tried different interior cabs on them. One cab that I liked sat way to high up when you looked out from it inside the locomotive, so didn't end up using it. If all goes well will be uploading the first one soon. As I have never uploaded anything will see how that goes.

The Alco c-2000, the GP38-2, and two of the 2 bay covered hopers are now up on the download station. More to follow to be uploaded. And Thanks to Davesnow for allowing me to reskin and upload his great work.

The Sw1 and Sw1200, U25b have been uploaded. While messing around with the U30C I noticed the light's do not work on it. Even the original mesh the lights did not work. Will mess with it a bit to see if I can figure that out. Many thanks to Cincysouthernrwy, Majekear, Diecastgalore for the use of there mesh's.

The Sd40-2 is uploaded. while messing with the GP40-2 today, noticed in the config file it had a different name of who made it, then the name on the download page. So waiting to figure that out before I upload it. Working on a couple caboose also. Have not been able to look into the U30c headlight not working.

Some Rock Island Passenger cars I am working on.

kLZGZh9.jpg

ElK0ZEk.jpg

c7sPn2F.jpg

2RRblBQ.jpg

I would like to have better bogeys (3D, not just flat ones) for Landrvr's California Zephyr train, but I can't find any.

What is that bogey used on de last pictures?
Looks also like Landrvr stuff.
Are they just low resolution too?

☼ ? ☼

Could be this truck Budd Commonwealth Truck forget to right down the name.

The passenger cars have been uploaded, so should be ready to download soon. Have finished up a second round of cars, think "Golden"
Big thanks to AUSTIN316HOCKEY for letting me reskin his passenger cars.

Very nice fourteen! Will try these out soon, as well as those DRGW passenger rolling stock in your other thread - Austin's passenger equipment is fantastic!

Back