Cab Ride on the Santa Fe Stockton Sub. (Richmond Ca.to Trull)

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
https://youtu.be/CS_gukUGkHc

It's a 2 hour video so it's a bit long, but worth watching.

The scenery is spectacular and this would make a great Trainz route.

From the video, it looks like the Santa Fe used Jointed Rail track and signals and Grazzy-grass along its ROW. :)

I've tried to watch that but I can't stand the blurry lo-res video.

Yeah, the video is a bit blurred at full screen since it's only 480p and taken back in 1992 on an old VHS or Dat tape video camera. I found using the next level up from the regular window-size was best for watching.

I've started watching this during my 30 min workout sessions on the exercise bike... good stuff!

I liked the "meet" which almost went wrong, literally inches to spare. Also quite "Trainzy" in that although the route appears to be signalled, the crew were operating the switches manually. I bet the despatcher had an interesting hindsight interview with her supervisor.

Anyone else not understand much of what was being said during the quickfire radio exchanges?

Does this route still exist in RL - looking on Open Street Map and can't seem to find it. As said though would make an interesting exercise for a train sim route.

I've started watching this during my 30 min workout sessions on the exercise bike... good stuff!

I liked the "meet" which almost went wrong, literally inches to spare. Also quite "Trainzy" in that although the route appears to be signalled, the crew were operating the switches manually. I bet the despatcher had an interesting hindsight interview with her supervisor.

Anyone else not understand much of what was being said during the quickfire radio exchanges?

Does this route still exist in RL - looking on Open Street Map and can't seem to find it. As said though would make an interesting exercise for a train sim route.

The route still exists in real life. The drawbridge approaches have been fully rebuilt out of concrete since the video was done. I followed it on Bing maps all the way to its terminus in the Stockton (Trull) area. The refinery has other branch lines going to it including a track on a bridge, and the Pittsburg yard is quite large. Where we passed it, it's only a siding or two, but it extends a lot more to the right. A good number of the other industries are still there, believe it or not, but a number have disappeared as well.

I couldn't catch the radio chatter either. If you've ever listened to one of those scanner feeds, or even a scanner its self, it doesn't sound much different. It makes me wonder sometimes if even they understand it themselves.

Yeah. I like the way the crew got out to change the switches and thought the same, and this sure would make an interesting route. The good thing is the textures and the track already exist with some even built-in. :)

Ah yes, I see it now. I was looking at the route which follows the bayside, didn't notice the nice little diversion going through the hills. Might have to add it to my ever increasing list of potential projects!

Back