What is your take on TMR2017?

JonMyrlennBailey

What do you like or love about the latest edition of Trainz?

What criticism might you have about it?

What do you feel has improved over the previous edition
of Trainz to be offered to the public?

I ask all those here who have even tried it out which I have not yet.

Specifically, in TMR2017:

1. can other peoples' routes be modded (at least by cloning that as required to do such in TANE)?
2. can routes from TANE be easily imported into it?
3. can all forms of loco in-cab camera motion be eliminated?

What is NEW to TMR2017?

What do you like or love about the latest edition of Trainz?

What criticism might you have about it?

What do you feel has improved over the previous edition
of Trainz to be offered to the public?

I ask all those here who have even tried it out which I have not yet.

Specifically, in TMR2017:

1. can other peoples' routes be modded (at least by cloning that as required to do such in TANE)?
2. can routes from TANE be easily imported into it?
3. can all forms of loco in-cab camera motion be eliminated?

What is NEW to TMR2017?

As an owner of both, I am indifferent to it. It's T:ANE with a more focused base content set aimed at those interested in model railroads to begin with. It was developed due the popularity of the virtual Trainz model railroads that were being promoted in the forums, and as an honor to the original versions of Trainz which were original sold as a model railroad/railway simulator being the 15 year anniversary of Trainz 1.0. Like the Trainz Classics series, it starts off with a much smaller content set, and like the Classics series it starts off not fully compatible with the current Trainz versions. TM2017 is based on T:ANE, however, it's not fully compatible at this time due to the game engine being slightly newer as it sits in between T:ANE SP1 H4 and the now in beta Service Pack 2. Once T:ANE SP2 is released, N3V will be releasing the in-built routes in TM2017 as DLC for T:ANE.

Yes routes and content can be imported that are from pervious versions of Trainz, however, built-ins from T:ANE cannot be imported, this means there will be missing dependencies if these items do not exist in TM2017 that are also in T:ANE, or are not on the DLS. Content on the DLS, however, can be installed just the same. Routes purchased as DLC, however, maybe different.

Just as in T:ANE, the camera motion can be disabled via the Main menu_Interface Settings_Cabin sway in internal view and unchecking the checkbox for that.

Performance wise, TM2017 seems smoother with better lighting. Perhaps these are the things to come in the full simulator.

i agree with u on all the above descriptions as i am a user of TMR17 myself if has given me lots of ideas for my model railway in physical form.

I would love to try TMR out. Being a model railroader myself with absolutely NO experience in using model engines, it'd be nice to give it a run or two. Or two thousand.

Wow, thanks for shutting that one down. There are things I've seen done in TMR that I KNOW FOR A FACT can't be done in T:ANE, and I don't even have T:ANE yet.

Wow, thanks for shutting that one down. There are things I've seen done in TMR that I KNOW FOR A FACT can't be done in T:ANE, and I don't even have T:ANE yet.
Like what? Have it and TMR is just TANE.

b_n_o_trainz.jpg

Harold

Oh, I see. Guess I was incorrect. I have been trying to get some model railroad layouts for TS2010, but I don't think anyone's made any.

Well, I have, quite a few, but most of them unfinished and just trying out ideas. Even when finished, as they are for TS10 they will not be made available to others. My advice to you, ministerfarrigut, is to download some over-scale artefacts from the DLS and have a go. You will not need T:ANE and there are plenty available whether for US 1:87 scale or for UK 1:76 scale, although in many respects these are interchangeable. I can't point you at the moment to the US range, although I believe that the word "huge" may find a large number, but for those by UK creators I would especially mention itareus KUID 243828 (floors, walls, baseboard edging, a door, pictures etc. even a human operator) and by myself, ray_whiley KUID 275817, including backscenes, a window, table, chair and so on - even a mug of coffee or tea so you can have a break from modelling (and it's available full, half-full or empty, depending on your level of optimism!) If you need any advice on using these artefacts, just ask.

Ray

Last edited:
What it really comes down to is that YOU have to decide if it is a version you want to get. Doesn't matter if some people dump on it or if others praise it. For the cost of meal and a few pints, you can easily find out yourself.

Seeing if it was possible to use TMR2017 as a modeling tool as TMR2017 was loosely promoted, doesn't work.

Harold
I see... and I am sorry :( I am certainly no stranger to MR'ing and -although I haven't purchased TMR2017- I can see no real difference myself between TMR and TaNE, that a few Davesnow and Philskene MR assets had already done for us within TaNE -complete w/ layout floors, cabinets, railroad paraphernalia on walls, and ceilings?

If anything, I would suppose "special lighting" [that I have seen within Railhead001's fine TMR layout -he himself a big advocate for TMR2017] a larger toolbox, and better access to such tools needed to create the Club-Size layout of your dreams!

[Railhead001 http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad ]

Overall, no. I agree with you Hminky! There are no real difference's between either product (that I can tell). If TMR rolls like a TaNE (duck) + sounds like a TaNE (duck) = it's a TaNE! :hehe:

... AND even more-so when SP2 for TaNE is released... !

Last edited:
I see... and I am sorry :( I am certainly no stranger to MR'ing and -although I haven't purchased TMR2017- I can see no real difference myself between TMR and TaNE, that a few Davesnow and Philskene MR assets had already done for us within TaNE -complete w/ layout floors, cabinets, railroad paraphernalia on walls, and ceilings?

If anything, I would suppose "special lighting" [that I have seen within Railhead001's fine TMR layout -he himself a big advocate for TMR2017] a larger toolbox, and better access to such tools needed to create the Club-Size layout of your dreams!

[Railhead001 http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad ]

Overall, no. I agree with you Hminky! There are no real difference's between either product (that I can tell). If TMR rolls like a TaNE (duck) + sounds like a TaNE (duck) = it's a TaNE! :hehe:

... AND even more-so when SP2 for TaNE is released... !

As I said above, TM2017 is a spin-off on T:ANE just as the Classics series was with the older Trainz versions. All of what you can do in T:ANE is in TM2017 with the only main difference being the base content set, which in TM2017 is focused towards the model railroad crowd. TM2017 is also aimed at those folks who don't want a large dataset to deal with, and comes with that specialized content. This is very much like the Classics series with Classics 1 & 2 focusing on commuter routes in and around the New York City metro area. Classics 3 was British steam and included a version of the Settle and Carlisle.

If you own T:ANE, well you don't really need to get TM2017 outside of just getting it to fill in your timeline, unless of course you want a separate lighter version, meaning less content, version strictly for your model railroad type projects.

I purchased TMR2017 with great anticipation: I was going to import all the excellent T:ANE-based model railroad layouts (mainly philskene's excellent layouts), and have them all in one glorious place. T:ANE, except for the one built-in philskene layout (deluxe route), would host only the big-board routes.

Sorry, doesn't work. Precious few, if any, T:ANE routes imported without loads of faultys and unknown assets. Hours spent in importing the unknowns manually left me with many more faultys.

Adding insult to injury, TMR2017 throws in the big-board built-in route Kickstarter County. I suppose this is to provide their sales pitches in game...

Although TMR2017 still occupies space on my hard drive, it's only because hard drive space is expendable nowadays; otherwise, it would be history. TMR2017 is actually more trouble than it's worth to me, now that it can only accomplish a limited amount of things which T:ANE can do flawlessly.

Waste of money. Period.

Last edited:
... with the only main difference being the base content set, which in TM2017 is focused towards the model railroad crowd. TM2017 is also aimed at those folks who don't want a large dataset to deal with, and comes with that specialized content....
Ahhh! Thanks again JCitron! :) Your quote says it all. I -myself- did not completely shoot my mouth-off w/o fully knowing what I was talking about. "There are no real difference's between either product (that I can tell)."

To my defense however, I had supposed just about the same thing (in reference to TMR): "If anything, I would suppose special lighting" ... "a larger toolbox, and better access to such tools needed to create the Club-Size layout of your dreams!"

• If one wants to create a "real life" train sim = TaNE.
  • If one wants to create a Model Railroad sim = TMR2017. Case closed :D

For YEARS Auran/N3V have repackaged and relabeled the base product in various dressings to "appeal" to specific audiences with little actual differences between the products. In the past this has led to considerable confusion for new customers being unsure of the purpose of these derivatives. The purpose is simple - resell the same product under as many different names as you can to recoup costs and make money. Automobile makers do this all the time. They take a Chevrolet, add luxury components (high profit) and resell the product as a Cadillac. It works.:Y:
Dick

My take? Should have been sold as a DLC pack for TANE, not yet another Trainz full "product" as Dick notes above.

I purchased TMR2017 with great anticipation: I was going to import all the excellent T:ANE-based model railroad layouts (mainly philskene's excellent layouts), and have them all in one glorious place. T:ANE, except for the one built-in philskene layout (deluxe route), would host only the big-board routes.

Sorry, doesn't work. Precious few, if any, T:ANE routes imported without loads of faultys and unknown assets. Hours spent in importing the unknowns manually left me with many more faultys.

Adding insult to injury, TMR2017 throws in the big-board built-in route Kickstarter County. I suppose this is to provide their sales pitches in game...

Although TMR2017 still occupies space on my hard drive, it's only because hard drive space is expendable nowadays; otherwise, it would be history. TMR2017 is actually more trouble than it's worth to me, now that it can only accomplish a limited amount of things which T:ANE can do flawlessly.

Waste of money. Period.

There is hope, that your money is not wasted :)
http://www.trainzportal.com/product/view/trainz-model-railroad-2017
At the end of this page N3V is promising: "Purchasers also receive the full content set as DLC compatible with TANE SP2."
TANE SP2 is in the public Beta-Test and I hope, that after the publishing of TANE SP2, N3V is offering the buyers of TMR2017 the content of this stand-alone as free download, as promised.

Regards
Swordfish

There is hope, that your money is not wasted :)
http://www.trainzportal.com/product/view/trainz-model-railroad-2017
At the end of this page N3V is promising: "Purchasers also receive the full content set as DLC compatible with TANE SP2."
TANE SP2 is in the public Beta-Test and I hope, that after the publishing of TANE SP2, N3V is offering the buyers of TMR2017 the content of this stand-alone as free download, as promised.

Regards
Swordfish
Fingers crossed...

I'm still looking forward to the day that TMR2017 will provide home base for all the great T:ANE MR routes to date.

Back