How many layouts/routes are you building?

Well I have been working on Kovdor (it's a west Russia branch line) for around 4 weeks now and even though it's largely a copy and paste job with trees, plus forming lakes and the occasional small settlement I've probably done rather less than half the total distance. On a "good" day I may get 2 x linear km decorated but that level of productivity drops off when you reach a more complex industrial or town area. Then there's all the signalling and speeds to do, superelevation, going over the small detail and snagging.

So yes, take the total mileage of those potential projects I mentioned, divide that by 1.5 (km) per day and there's probably 25 years of work there!

Well I have been working on Kovdor (it's a west Russia branch line) for around 4 weeks now and even though it's largely a copy and paste job with trees, plus forming lakes and the occasional small settlement I've probably done rather less than half the total distance. On a "good" day I may get 2 x linear km decorated but that level of productivity drops off when you reach a more complex industrial or town area. Then there's all the signalling and speeds to do, superelevation, going over the small detail and snagging.

So yes, take the total mileage of those potential projects I mentioned, divide that by 1.5 (km) per day and there's probably 25 years of work there!

That seems about right when you do things the right way even with copy and paste. On my Cape Anne Transit route, I've got a tiny, and I mean tiny area "done" with a lot more to go. This route has lots of trees as well, but getting the texturing and the other details right is what takes so long. I'm also modifying a DEM and have placed tracks where there either hasn't been any rails in 100 years or more, or there never was in the first place.

Interesting to see the Glasgow Underground on your list Vern. When I was a boy here in Glasgow it was known simply as the "subway" then for more modern times officially listed as "Underground" but nowadays they now again list it officially as the Subway! Occasionally suggestions of extending it as it goes round in a rough circle and amongst the top three oldest in the world. Also years ago before modernisation coaches could only get to the surface by lifting them out the tunnel but again in modernisation there are now tunnels up to storage tracks. Extensions never got anywhere and it could not be joined to routine railway lines due to the gauge.

Currently, I'm working on two subway routes:

The East Bay Transit Authority (Fictional)

The Washington D.C Metro System (Working on the Green Line.)

Interesting to see the Glasgow Underground on your list Vern. When I was a boy here in Glasgow it was known simply as the "subway" then for more modern times officially listed as "Underground" but nowadays they now again list it officially as the Subway! Occasionally suggestions of extending it as it goes round in a rough circle and amongst the top three oldest in the world. Also years ago before modernisation coaches could only get to the surface by lifting them out the tunnel but again in modernisation there are now tunnels up to storage tracks. Extensions never got anywhere and it could not be joined to routine railway lines due to the gauge.

Some thought would have to be given as to how to represent this in Trainz, in particular with regard to placing rolling stock when setting up a session. As you say Robbie, the only open air section (on the modernised route) is the short section to/from the depot. The old configuration even more challenging! Some sort of cut and cover probably the best compromise, i.e. running the line in a trough rather than truly below the terrain.

I've also searched in vain for any sort of gradient profile, or some sort of network statement which lists the distance below ground level of the stations (from which a profile could be assessed). However that (for me) is all part of the challenge of putting a route together, it exercises the brain in a positive and creative way.

Maybe placing rolling stock on an underground session would be possible if all buildings or other view-blockers were placed on separate layers and those layers hidden, then using F9 to hide ground textures. I used this method when placing my (very basic) Paris Metro Classic stock sub-surface and it worked in TS10, also with some London Underground experiments. Admittedly this was not in a session, but would it be worth trying?

Ray

I started off in 2010 making a modded version of DRGW with many extensions and using UP stock, that had a lot of corruption issues , so I only use it when I can fire up 2010.I love Avery Drexell and changed that a lot when you could do so.I made some major revisions to Durango and Silverton and then got stuck into updating the Cumbres and Toltec and return to them both on occasions.

I have been modifying Timber Ridge since 2010 , but left it when it would not work in TANE, then I returned to it in TANE, making it much more detailed as I though it was a manageable size. , then discovered I had an older version which was missing about half the route !
I still return to this every now and again .

I have also made a freelance narrow gauge route of about 130 boards loosely based on the DRGW San Juan extension which needs some tweaking but which is pretty much complete, I have to replace some payware in it if its to go on the DLS .

The current Project is Uintah Railway in TANE and am having to remake the map in Transdem as all existing versions don't seem to work well for me . As I type I'm hoping it generating Watson to the Utah border for me without stuffing up !

I also play around with ffestiniog and WHR and other UK routes on occasion, but its US narrow gauge that's my first love !

I am (trying) to build Hinton WV eastwards through Alleghany and Clifton Forge. However, surveyor is acting up. See my thread in Surveyor etc. for a list of my woes. If I can get this sorted out then I shall be away!

Wow, lots of routes by lots of creators. This really highlights one of the big differences between our sim world and physical model railways. We can easily have multiple routes in various stages of progress, working on each when we feel like it. Try that with a model railway. Even if you have a huge barn or warehouse, it might be a tight fit not to mention the cost of it all. Wonder what they do to refresh their interest when things get boring?

Meanwhile, my various routes are loosely based on prototype routes, mainly in the Netherlands. In between are some fantasy routes keep the creative juices flowing. The biggest roadblock is my constant side-tracking to make another object that I need, causing the routes to get even more delayed.

Currently working on a fictional route based within Boston. Starting with North Station, then I'm working on a small layout based in New England. I wish there were more New England content. I think we have some of the best routes out there.

Just thought I would post for interest, the full current list of my potential route projects (as opposed to the ones that got away):

Kovdor (in progress)

Pachacayo Branch

Chiloe Island

Glasgow Underground

Camden to North Woolwich

Wemyss to Gouock

Garve to Ullapool

Ohrid

Kresna

Allikarti

Lendery

Nikel

Minomachi

Pett Level Tramway (Winchelsea)

Liskeard and Caradon + extension to Rushyford (see Rail Map UK)

Exton Park (Cottesmore, East Midlands).

Cannock Chase

Isle of Skye (fictional)

Marsden Colliery

Weston, Clevedon, Portishead

Lauder Light Railway

Sheppey Light Railway

Kelvedon & Tollesbury

Axholme Light Railway

Derwent Valley Railway (Foss Island to Cliffe Common)

Ashover Light Railway (ng)

Southern Heights Light Railway.

Bere Alston to Callington

Burry Port & Gwendreath

Llanelli to Cross Hands

Shropshire (Shrewsbury West) and Montgomeryshire

Snailbeach District Railways

Gower Light (Swansea & Mumbles extension)

Central Essex Railway

East Kent Railway Extensions

East Sussex Railway

Gower Light Railway

Hadlow Railway

Headcorn and Maidstone Junction Railway

Hedingham and Long Melford Railway

Kelvedon, Coggeshall and Halstead Railway

Lands End, St Just and Great Western Junction Railway

Long Melford and Hadleigh Railway

Maidstone and Faversham Junction Railway

Maidstone and Sittingbourne Railway

Newport and Four Ashes Railway

Shropshire Railways ( Shrewsbury and Market Drayton Extension)

Surrey and Sussex Railway

Worcester and Broome Railway

Irish

Clifden Branch

Aran link.

Wish me luck with that lot!
Now that's a list!!!! How many kilometres would that be in total? I'm only working on one route in the South East of Ireland working up to the capital, Dublin. It may be one route but it still takes time!

Now that's a list!!!! How many kilometres would that be in total? I'm only working on one route in the South East of Ireland working up to the capital, Dublin. It may be one route but it still takes time!

Must be several thousand km over the list, though some are shorter and more practical than others - some such as Aran link are a fictional idea, linking the Aran Islands to each other and the mainland into Galway.

Most are unlikely to see the right side of a Transdem extraction, let alone completion of course!

Must be several thousand km over the list, though some are shorter and more practical than others - some such as Aran link are a fictional idea, linking the Aran Islands to each other and the mainland into Galway.

Most are unlikely to see the right side of a Transdem extraction, let alone completion of course!
Thats a really creative idea to link the Aran islands to Galway by Rail! I say Goodluck with it and the rest of your routes!

Re two projects:

IU have stored on cdp my build of the whole of the former Glasgow tramway system which was closed back in 1962. It was around 120 miles and I walked every former route traced where each terminus had been and helped by a line drawing of the whole thing I got at the Annual Scottish Model rail Show while back now. About a couple of months back loaded it and added cars for the main streets with tramways but need to get back to look over the thing and get it uploaded after some routine issues. :hehe:

My other build is the Northern Ireland Railways system which I said was the worst par of the UK for closures. Built the 6 lines including the roughly 18 mile temporary suspended route through Crumlin (they hope to have it again in the future). Visited the Province as part of my build and there cannot be many who fly somewhere to build a route for Trainz (!). Extended over the Border south to add track all the way to Dublin for the Belfast-Enterprise express to be run did one of the lines off that north of Dublin and just started the other branch at Drogheda. Had been off it for a while due to health issues and the fact that I was attempting a very big Irish/NIrish effort. To date there are two parts still needing scenery. One from north of Drogheda to Dundalk and from Dundalk to just around the Border. Because if the size it put me off but trying now to get back to things.

Always been ambitious in many things in life and these two big things have challenged my intentions! :hehe: ..two routes links below.....
www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com
www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

RE: Number of Routes

My only railroading interest is in the Maine Two Foot lines that were in existence from the 1880’s to the 1930’s. As such all of my routes are of the: Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes (SR&RL); Kennebec Central (KC); Monson (MRR); Bridgton & Saco River (B&SR); and the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington (WW&F) .
Of these the SR&RL has been my main focus, with multiple variations over the last twelve years, and the others have many variations as well. Each one being more complex and closer to the real road, with all trackage, sidings, towns, and industries found along their right of ways.
I started with TRS2006, and used all of the SR&RL Two foot content created by P.Pardow – Matthews, Rich Blake, Todd Hohlenkamp, and Ken Minasian that was available on the DLC. Thanks to these guys for some outstanding content. I modified these items as needed for the other lines.
I have an extensive library of research materials for all these roads, and have strived to recreatethem as detailed as possible. GMAX, GIMP, and BLENDER are used to create all of the iconic and specific buildings and industries that populated these lines.
When I updated to TRS2010, I had to run in Compatibility mode in order to run the old downloaded content. Over the last year I have started to create my own rolling stock and motive steam power to populate my routes. These are not “make from” – but brand new items that run error free with no dependencies on older content. So far all of the Monson and KC freight, passenger and motive power has been created. In the case of the KC there is anelectric interurban line that was in place , and that I have also recreated. Of special note is that the original KC was all of five miles long, and the Monson was six miles. The SR&RL had just over one hundred miles of track; the B&SR had about twenty eight miles; and the WW&F had forty plus miles. Being so short, I have been able to create them in great detail, and historically accurate. All of my routes are set in the 1910-12 time frame.
At this time I can’t update to TS12 or newer as I only have a laptop at my disposal, and usedial-up internet service, which precludes uploading my routes or content. Even so, I have – andcontinue to enjoy the satisfaction and challenge that content and route building provides.

My former Glasgow tramway was my first very rough attempt on Trainz and over 120 miles of city and suburban routes. My more detailed and recent effort over the Irish Sea is a big challenge and largest attempted. Done all in Northern Ireland and extended over the Border and have 3 routes down there. Originally only intended to extend south so that Enterprise Express service could be run although it has been a big challenge and there are 2 branches off that main route between Belfast-Dublin in the Irish rail bit. For a while and not helped by some occasional ill-health I got put off finishing south of the Border and also due to the size and detail. Trying hard to get back to it though as it is based on the modern situation for both the NIR and IR services.!

I'm currently working on the CSX Florence Division from Florence, SC to Savannah, GA covering the S-Line through Charleston, and the S-Line via Sumter, Columbia (Cayce) to Savannah. Then I'm working on the CSX Jacksonville Division from South of Savannah to Jacksonville via Baldwin, and Folkston including the FEC Bowden Yard in Jax.

By now, I'm working on a fictional route designed for freight use, but also for High-speed and regular passenger trains, based on the US and Europe. Also I've tried to do a model railroad, but I think it's more frustrating to create an HO-Gauge or N-Gauge route on Trainz than doing a map that can be fit perfectly on the real world, although the design is fictional. Of course with permission of my near 10-year old computer (hope I can replace it as soon as possible).

Must admit that I'm not sure whether to continue my Emerald Isle modern project. It is turning out to be larger than original intended as only going to do the NIR as I have visited over in N Ireland for years but decided to follow the cross border extension into the Irish Rail which is increasing my plan very greatly. Main passing thought is whether it would be be worthwhile even though what I have done is the biggest to date for over there and I live in Scotland (!). A while since got back to building due to some health issues but wondered if there would be enough interest even though I went to the effort of flying over there to suss out things. Mind you being a Glasgow man it could be worse of forced to live in Edinburgh as a punishment!
:hehe:

I'm currently working on a fictionalization of central Oklahoma, what would be around the Oklahoma City area. It started as a short, point-to-point route with loops on either end, but quickly got a mind of its own and has now become a relatively large route. The big city, which I'm leading up to now, will be called Springfield, because I'm very uncreative...

Matt

Back