Britain's most interesting Railways

Mick this sounds extraordinary! I can imagine it would be quite interesting to see all those variations on one segment of line. As much as I like newer age stuff, I also find some of the much older stuff fascinating too. I also quite enjoy reading and discovering various abandoned railways and stuff. There's a site online http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php that allows you to see all the abandoned railway and stations and such. If you don't mind having a fiddle with the legend and the settings on the page then it's incredibly easy to use.

Thomas, thanks for this - I will download it and see if I can make heads or tails of it. It would be nice if it does work just so I can see what all the fuss is about. I am kind of surprised that the creator doesn't have a demo version of the product to try out but then I equally understand his reasons for not having one.

Unless they're for private use, I would be interested in viewing your website and checking out some of your work?
I'll have to have a look at that website- sounds interesting. You're very welcome by the way :)

lol, my name is Simon, the Thomas part of my username is a relic of one of childhood obsessions, if you get my drift :hehe:
The link to my website is https://trainmaniacroutes.wordpress.com/ It is very much unfinished but i tihnk i havent done too bad of a job. Likewise, here is alink to my YouTube Channel where i do both real life trainspotting and (more appropriately) Trainz spotting as to speak-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj14V6v7NWCDefqavpX6oag
Regards Simon :)

Haha apologies Simon! Well my name's Benjamin anyway but feel free to call me Ben.

Thomas The Tank Engine.... we all have to start somewhere and I imagine for a lot of 80s and 90s kids who use this game, that was probably the starting point lol. Trainspotting and stuff is pretty fun, I've got my missus interested in Trains and stuff just from telling her about different things and showing her stuff I picked up from work (I used to be a Site Access Controller) - Since then she loves asking and hearing about stuff. I got her interested in Japanese railways too just from some program we watch on NHKTV (if you have VirginTV it's one of the last channels listed) but they have a program called Japan Railway Journal and it's a very good watch (and also in English) - she was glued to it haha.

Anyway I'll check out your website. Thanks for the link

Ben =)

Haha apologies Simon! Well my name's Benjamin anyway but feel free to call me Ben.

Thomas The Tank Engine.... we all have to start somewhere and I imagine for a lot of 80s and 90s kids who use this game, that was probably the starting point lol. Trainspotting and stuff is pretty fun, I've got my missus interested in Trains and stuff just from telling her about different things and showing her stuff I picked up from work (I used to be a Site Access Controller) - Since then she loves asking and hearing about stuff. I got her interested in Japanese railways too just from some program we watch on NHKTV (if you have VirginTV it's one of the last channels listed) but they have a program called Japan Railway Journal and it's a very good watch (and also in English) - she was glued to it haha.

Anyway I'll check out your website. Thanks for the link

Ben =)
Hi Ben
Haha im a 90's kid through and through! I got my real railway interest from my Granddad and we, including my Dad, used to go to the local heritage railway (Isle of Wight Steam Railway). Of course for me, it always used to be about Thomas but my interest gradually changed and now i've ended up as a dedicated diesel lover. Tractors and Thumpers! Mmmmmmmmmmm......!
Best, Simon

Hi Mick
Damn it.... I appreciate that it is TS2010 that i use but why does all of the good stuff have to be uploaded to TANE standards? From what i've heard TANE is very unreliable with about half as much content as the older simulators. Or has this changed?

If so, then certainly i would be interested. The Ally Pally Branch sounds fascinating by the way :)

Thanks, Simon

Well the simple reason in my case, is that I use TANE, so that is how the route is built! I really suggest you upgrade, TANE is a lot better than previous versions. And if I do upload the route, which I think I will soon, I won't make any effort to make it backwards-compatible. Sorry!

Mick

Mick this sounds extraordinary! I can imagine it would be quite interesting to see all those variations on one segment of line. As much as I like newer age stuff, I also find some of the much older stuff fascinating too. I also quite enjoy reading and discovering various abandoned railways and stuff. There's a site online http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php that allows you to see all the abandoned railway and stations and such. If you don't mind having a fiddle with the legend and the settings on the page then it's incredibly easy to use.

Check out my website, www.mickberg.com There are some screenshots of the Ally Pally route and the Widened Lines (new version)
Mick

That looks like a hell of a lot of custom content.... And it looks brilliant! Do you have YouTube channel? If you do then I would suggest doing a drive through and post it there, or more logically on your website :)

I find it amazing there's no actual option to delete a post on this forum.

There is, it's just turned off for pretty much everyone (even I cannot "delete" posts, I just hide them.) If you want your post deleted, just edit it to say "deleted" (or something like that,) we won't actually delete it, but it good-as. If you want your thread deleted, report the thread & us mods will look into it.

peter

Last edited:
That looks like a hell of a lot of custom content.... And it looks brilliant! Do you have YouTube channel? If you do then I would suggest doing a drive through and post it there, or more logically on your website :)

Thanks, I've tried to make a video but haven't been happy yet. But I'll get there soon!
Mick

Check out my website, www.mickberg.com There are some screenshots of the Ally Pally route and the Widened Lines (new version)
Mick

That looks incredible Mick. Is the route and your custom content private or is it downloadable? I like seeing what other people can do but get a tad envious when people show off amazing private content haha. To be honest I wish I had a better grasp of modelling assets for this game and stuff. There's so much I'd like to do.

There is, it's just turned off for pretty much everyone (even I cannot "delete" posts, I just hide them.) If you want your post deleted, just edit it to say "deleted" (or something like that,) we won't actually delete it, but it good-as. If you want your thread deleted, report the thread & us mods will look into it.

peter

I suppose it partially makes sense and I also suppose it would limit abuse and things like that. I don't mind too much, it was just to delete unnecessary posts so as not to clog up the forum. Nice to know the mods are around on the regular though.

That looks incredible Mick. Is the route and your custom content private or is it downloadable? I like seeing what other people can do but get a tad envious when people show off amazing private content haha. To be honest I wish I had a better grasp of modelling assets for this game and stuff. There's so much I'd like to do.

Thanks, I am planning to upload the Ally Pally route so the content will be available. There are a few assets from other creators that I have "hacked" but of course I would sort that out before uploading.

BTW I have added some more screenshots of the Battery Loco and Tube Stock movement to the gallery on my website www.mickberg.com. And there is a screenshot in the Screenshots section of the forum.
If you like the idea of it, I strongly advise you to get a copy of Blender and start modelling assets. Although difficult at first, it is very rewarding. There are tons of tutorials to get you going.

Mick

Last edited:
Thanks, I am planning to upload the Ally Pally route so the content will be available. There are a few assets from other creators that I have "hacked" but of course I would sort that out before uploading.

BTW I have added some more screenshots of the Battery Loco and Tube Stock movement to the gallery on my website www.mickberg.com.

If you like the idea of it, I strongly advise you to get a copy of Blender and start modelling assets. Although difficult at first, it is very rewarding. There are tons of tutorials to get you going.

Mick

Yeah I definitely recommend releasing your route. It looks really good. That tube stock is something else. Seriously I want to be able to model, and if the kind of results are like what I've seen then yeah rewarding is an understatement for sure. I'm going to see how I get on with Blender. I tried looking at GMAX but that was really complicated looking so I backed away from it. Could you by chance point me in the right direction of some good beginner tutorials?

Yeah I definitely recommend releasing your route. It looks really good. That tube stock is something else. Seriously I want to be able to model, and if the kind of results are like what I've seen then yeah rewarding is an understatement for sure. I'm going to see how I get on with Blender. I tried looking at GMAX but that was really complicated looking so I backed away from it. Could you by chance point me in the right direction of some good beginner tutorials?

Sorry I left it so long to reply. ATM there is talk of the disappearance of Neal Hirsig's Rocket tutorial. IMHO and many others it is the best Blender tutorial for modelling and animation. Neal is a teacher so he gets it right. It doesn't include exporting your finished model to Trainz, but there is plenty of info on that in the Trainz Wiki and other places. But grab Neal's tutorial before it goes away.
Mick

Sorry I left it so long to reply. ATM there is talk of the disappearance of Neal Hirsig's Rocket tutorial. IMHO and many others it is the best Blender tutorial for modelling and animation. Neal is a teacher so he gets it right. It doesn't include exporting your finished model to Trainz, but there is plenty of info on that in the Trainz Wiki and other places. But grab Neal's tutorial before it goes away.
Mick

do you have the link available?

Back