New Version Trainz - Trainz Model Railroad 2017"

Domhnall

I have been pondering what I have read about, and am considering buying, the new version of Trainz called "Trainz Model Railroad 2017"

I am currently using "Trainz- A New Era SP1" I presume that this is what is sometimes referred to as "TANE"

Before taking the plunge it would be nice to hear the views of anyone who has bought/used the new version, and an answer, if possible, to the following questions:

What are the main enhancements and/or differences between the two versions above mentioned?
Would I have to re-register with Trainz?
Would I have the same access to, and ability to download, all the assets currently available to me in "Trainz - A New Era SP1"?
As I understand it I would not be able to transfer assets from "Trainz Model Railroad 2017" to Trainz - A New Era SP1" Would I be able to transfer assets already downloaded to my current version of Trainz to the new version?
Would I be able to transfer routes created by myself in TANE to the new version?

Mention has been made of "Trainz - A New Era SP2" as an upgrade of SP1, due out soon.
Will this be a free upgrade for existing users of SP1?
Will the transfer of assets and routes from SP1 to SP2 be straightforward?
Would it be more prudent to wait for the release of this upgrade rather than splash out on "Trainz Model Railroad 2017" now?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1. There is no difference in the core game, the difference are the route included, which are model train type.
2. You wouldn't have re-register with Trainz.
3. Yes, and if you have a first class ticket it works as well. The only difference is that some of the built in objects in T:ANE are not in TMR.
4. It can't be done until it's released T:ANE SP2, when the built number in both (TANE and TMR) are the same, so you will be able to transfer content to one version to the other. This update SP2 should be available soon.
5. No, because some of the built-in objects of TANE are not in TMR. It can be done in reverse way.
6. Yes, it's free for existing users.
7. You will not need to transfer any routes form SP1 to SP2 as that is not a new version of Trainz, it's just a change in built number.
8. It doesn't matter. If you can't wait, you can buy it now and play the routes included if you don't want to wait. If you have no hurry, then you can wait.

One other point. The extra content in TMS2017 will be available to purchase for TANE when SP2 comes out so you may prefer to wait. My own personal choice is not to purchase TMS2017 as I can see little in it for me as I can create my own model railway layouts in TANE (see here).

Thanks very much for your response Charlie.

You have confirmed what appears to have already been concluded, that TANE, even before SP2 becomes available, is the better version.

What I can't figure out is, if the generally held conclusion is right and there is no difference in the core game, why was the new version introduced? New versions of programmes usually include improvements and enhancements to older versions.

The routes being packaged with the new version do not appeal to me as I am predominantly interested in fine-tuning North of England and Scottish routes. One can always buy the routes one wants and use them in TANE so I see no points in buying a new version merely for unwanted routes.

Anyway, thanks again for your trouble.

One other point. The extra content in TMS2017 will be available to purchase for TANE when SP2 comes out so you may prefer to wait. My own personal choice is not to purchase TMS2017 as I can see little in it for me as I can create my own model railway layouts in TANE (see here).

Thanks John, that's another no for TMS2017 then?

Thanks for the link, very interesting. I'm afraid I'm still a long way off creating my own assets.

It's not actually a New version it's basically the same version with a different Content set for building Toy Train layouts in a basement or room, so you get walls and floors etc, see the Model Trainz thread for what it's used for.
Some like it, some it doesn't interest me included.

When SP2 is released you can buy the Model Trainz routes if you want as DLC and add them to TANE, or it may be cheaper to just buy TMR17.

Well here's my 2 or 3 cents....I chose TMR17 over Tane because it has the routes/layouts I want now, why would I purchase TANE that offers nothing of interest to me with its built in routes just to buy additional routes later that are all in one bundle already...that I will use ?? I like TMR17 because of the layout aspect, Unfortunately TANE is not at the level of "route" realism as other sims that I own already are.....yeah if your interested in developing routes Tane would serve you better but then this why it is called TMR for a reason.
Personally I LOVE TMR17.........my thread below shows what can be done:
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad

Last edited:
It's not actually a New version it's basically the same version with a different Content set for building Toy Train layouts in a basement or room, so you get walls and floors etc, see the Model Trainz thread for what it's used for.
Some like it, some it doesn't interest me included.

When SP2 is released you can buy the Model Trainz routes if you want as DLC and add them to TANE, or it may be cheaper to just buy TMR17.

Thanks Clam,
It did dawn on me, what with all the pictures of table or room-sized layouts that I was directed to, that TMR2017 may be more appropriate for this type of route or layout creation.

That's fair enough but I don't do such layouts, therefore not appropriate for me.

Well here's my 2 or 3 cents....I chose TMR17 over Tane because it has the routes/layouts I want now, why would I purchase TANE that offers nothing of interest to me with its built in routes just to buy additional routes later that are all in one bundle already...that I will use ?? I like TMR17 because of the layout aspect, Unfortunately TANE is not at the level of "route" realism as other sims that I own already are.....yeah if your interested in developing routes Tane would serve you better but then this why it is called TMR for a reason.
http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-more-enjoyment-out-of-Trianz-Model-Railroad

Thank you Railhead,

At least there is one fan out there, a lover even. Obviously it suits your needs and the routes appeal to you, so fair play to you.

But, as you advise, it would not serve my requirements better than TANE, so I will not be dashing to buy it just yet, unless anyone can point out any other advantages so far not touched upon.

For your purposes and interests I would say also, having chosen TMR17 was the right choice for you too! ;) And yes, TMR, TaNE or Trainz in general may not be as realistic as those offered by Dovetail Games; but Trainz offers an unfathomable amount more content than any other RR sim available; you don't need to be a rocket scientist to create a route in Surveyor; easier to use... and certainly a lot more colorful and interesting than life itself! :eek: Tee hee! :hehe:

I once said when RR sims approach the degree of realism of real life, that's when I will lose all interest in RR sims -period... well actually an exclamation point! :hehe: Hey, the real world isn't all that pretty :D

I'd then devote all my extra time exclusively to another great interest of mine: history... and strategy games such as the Civilization series (currently "Civ 6")!

-Happy Model RR'ing!
:)

Last edited:
You don't need to re register after you buy TMR it will be added to your profile automatically
and when TANE sp2 is released the route's in TMR will be added to your TANE automatically

For your purposes and interests I would say also, having chosen TMR17 was the right choice for you too! ;) And yes, TMR, TaNE or Trainz in general may not be as realistic as those offered by Dovetail Games; but Trainz offers an unfathomable amount more content than any other RR sim available; you don't need to be a rocket scientist to create a route in Surveyor; easier to use... and certainly a lot more colorful and interesting than life itself! :eek: Tee hee! :hehe:

I once said when RR sims approach the degree of realism of real life, that's when I will lose all interest in RR sims -period... well actually an exclamation point! :hehe: Hey, the real world isn't all that pretty :D

I'd then devote all my extra time exclusively to another great interest of mine: history... and strategy games such as the Civilization series (currently "Civ 6")!

-Happy Model RR'ing!
:)

Actually for my realism needs I prefer OR, as for DTG, any decade they should be releasing Train Sim World...not holding my breath but as for TMR17, like you said for Tane, the simplicity factor can't be beaten for creating or modifying routes and the Ai has improved tremendously from previous versions which is why I hardly touch TS2017 anymore and focus on TMR instead:D

Actually for my realism needs I prefer OR...
I am not going to sit here and be Mr. Big Man, acting as if I'd always known of OR [Open Rails] :D It was news to me 15 minutes ago. They claim Open Rails "... supports the world's largest range of digital content." Do you feel that is true? Very interesting... AND FREE!!!? I'll look into this program tomorrow.

-Thanks again Railhead001 for the feedback! :cool:

It's free. But the majority of 3rd party routes need to have installed also MSTS as they use built in object. And in this point, the only possibility of obtaining MSTS it's downloading it.

If you own MSTS it makes things easier for OR but is not required unless the routes you download share the same assets that came in MSTS. If the route did not have any dependencies from MSTS you are fine....basically OR is an upgraded version of MSTS with routes and locos/rplling stock now being able to take advantage of modern computers including win10. The graphics are improved if the route and asset designers have added higher poly count models. Several third party companies have done so and the new models look great but not nearly as detailed as some Trainz or TS2017 models.....

I have MSTS saved on my computer; but the last time I had revived that dinosaur it would not .exe! I wasn't as "computer savvy" at the time. Maybe this time I can revive?

My MSTS corrupted! Amazon is the only place I can purchase, but I'm not paying $59.99! :( The "Free" downloads on other sites are "Trails"....

Note:
If this thread continues being about a rail sim not made by N3V, I either have to lock it or remove all related posts (if I should not do so already).
Please stay on (the original) topic. Support for other rail sims can be gained on their own forums.
Thank you.

Back