Router problems

brokenrail

Hi all. I'm having problems downloading content off the DLS either by download manager or FTP. I've narrowed it down to the router which is a netgear D3600 as I can download ftp files at work no problem using my laptop but connection times out at home. I have set up port forwarding on the router for FTP but still no joy. Was never a problem on the old BT router. Anybody have any ideas????:'(

You wouldn't believe how many routers on the market have buggy firmware!

Googled yours and guess what http://kb.netgear.com/31416/D3600-Firmware-Version-1-0-0-61?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Bold bit done by me.

Bug Fixes:

• Changed MTU default to 1434 for PPPoE Ethernet.
  • Fixed the issue where there were problems to download files with ftp format.
  • Fixed the issue where the Email function is abnormal if user name field is null.
  • Fixed the issue where the mac clone does not take effect until the DUT reboot.
  • Fixed the isssue where the SSLv3 error occurs when accessing the router remotely.

Warning, be very careful when flashing Router Firmware that firstly it is the correct firmware for that model of router and is for the right country and secondly you don't interrupt it, Some take for ever to update the firmware EG TP_Link. If interrupted you may end up bricking the router. May or may not be the end of the world but can get complicated to sort out.

Edit: May also want to check the MTU for your ISP 1434 seems an odd figure. BT recommend 1458

Last edited:
I'd also suggest checking that your firewall isn't blocking FTP access as well (make sure it's allowing Trainz and it's components access to the Internet). It's not normally necessary to need to set port forwarding for FTP.

It may also be worth checking if any other programs are affected as well.

Shane

Hi Malc/Shane. Thanks for your replies. I did upgrade the firmware recently because of the fault. Interesting bit you picked out there Malc! I did try using my laptop to download the ftp file which worked ok at work but not at home so I'm convinced it is the router blocking it. I don't have a problem with anything else running on the computer or downloads etc. It just seems to be the download station whichever method I use. Wonder if netgear have fixed that bug!

Reminds me actually that I had issues with the DLS and Thunderbird for email both timing out when my ISP got taken over, that was down to the MTU being wrong for the ISP, was 1450 but changed to 1432, which not having a crystal ball I wasn't aware of. Most routers seem to come with a default of 1500 for some reason.

If you don't know what it should be you can work it out here http://www.letmecheck.it/mtu-test.php or just Google name_of_ISP MTU.

Why don't you try using Port Triggering, instead of port forwarding...?

Port forwarding:
New connections from the outside to a certain port or port range go to a designated LAN machine. The ports are determined by the kind of server you want to run, (e.g. 80 for a web server) and the IP is the private LAN IP of your web server.

Port triggering: new connections from the outside to a certain port go to whatever LAN machine made a certain outgoing connection (as defined by destination port).
Example: You define port 25 as trigger and 113 as port. If any of your LAN machines creates a outgoing connection (=trigger) to port 25 (e.g. to send mail), all incoming connections to port 113 will temporarily go to that machine. After a timeout, new 113 connections will again be dropped.

Netgear D3600 does support Port Triggering, not all routers do though. My LTE Router has it hidden under Security, Special applications, really informative!

Problem solved! Thanks to some pointers from you good folks I found that it was the DoS setting in WAN settings that had to be switched off. Now all working!!!

Back