i5 vs i7 for Trainz?

just hold off until you can see real time performance and prices, see if some trainzers buy 'em, too, then go for it...

If my PC wasn't nearly unusable due to a problematic motherboard (or at least I think it is, I've replaced just about everything else already), I might wait for Ryzen, but I'm really starting to get tired of waiting. I gotta have my Trainz and Planet Coaster back.

Also, during the writing of this post, I've noticed the green LED in my keyboard has come back to life, even though it's been dead since the day I bought it. Computers are weird.

Matt

Last edited:
Contrary to what I said before, I think I will wait for Ryzen. I fired up my PC yesterday and it ran beautifully, despite having a motherboard on the way out. Plus, I just read about a lab test that ranked the $400 Ryzen 7 1700 above a $1000 processor, however they did not mention what model this $1k chip was. If Ryzen is supposed to be that good, I think it will be well worth the wait, especially if my PC is suddenly usable again. I can save a pretty penny by going Ryzen, too. I probably won't need the top-of-the-line model, especially since my GPU is only comparable to a 1060...

Matt

That's the Ryzen R7 1700X not even the top of the Ryzen Range.

Link to the test in the Ryzen thread.

Last edited:
There is definitely a new PC build in the cards this year and for the last year I was planning an i5 nvidia 1070 TANE rig. With this new news about AMD's new chip it looks like back to the drawing board. I've had AMD/ATI desktops on the past and I was happy with them, but intel took the lead this last build and I figured an intel/nvidia would be my next one too. Lets see what happens around July when I plan on making my new TANE desktop.

Dave

There is definitely a new PC build in the cards this year and for the last year I was planning an i5 nvidia 1070 TANE rig. With this new news about AMD's new chip it looks like back to the drawing board. I've had AMD/ATI desktops on the past and I was happy with them, but intel took the lead this last build and I figured an intel/nvidia would be my next one too. Lets see what happens around July when I plan on making my new TANE desktop.

Yep, plans sure can change. When I was doing my graphics card upgrade, I was looking for a GTX 1050TI and a Corsair power supply to power it, then I decided to save up for a 1060. I ended up walking out of Best Buy with an 8GB XFX RX480 (the model with the LED's in the fans and XFX logo - the neighbors can see the lights) and an EVGA PSU.

Matt

Last edited:
It's a tad outdated, featuring 4th gen i7s and GTX980s. Still, due to the open-world object-intensive nature of train and flight sims it goes to reason any system that runs either one well can do both.

Sorry to bump, but I've revisited the situation.

I recently upgraded my Graphics Card (again), and I've noticed a huge bottleneck caused by my aging hardware. Of course, even with a higher-end GPU, I'm still getting hiccups on more complicated routes thanks to my ancient (in computer years) CPU.

AMD FX4300 Quad-Core CPU 3.8 GHz <--------- a five year old CPU
8 GB DDR3 no-brand RAM <------- I have some concerns about the quality of this RAM...
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2 MoBo <------- same age as CPU
PNY GeForce GTX 1070 XLR8 8GB PCIe <------- The new GPU
275 GB Crucial SSD <------- This is where T:ANE is installed
1 TB Toshiba 7.2K RPM HDD <------------ My Trainz content is here to avoid filling up the SSD
600W EVGA PSU <-------- Would this need upgraded again if I plan on putting a beefier CPU in?

Even months after I originally started this thread, I never got around to upgrading my MoBo, CPU, and RAM, despite replacing the GPU twice now since I've had the PC... I'm in the market again, this time looking at the 7th gen Intel CPU's, either the i5-7600K or the i7-7700K. Same old thing, which chip pairs well with the new GPU, and will run T:ANE comfortably on max settings? What about the AMD side, what Ryzen chip would do the job?

EDIT: How's this combo? https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.3466734

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
You might as well hold off for the 8th gen Intel which will be 5th oct. The core counts are up to 6 even on the i5.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-coffee-lake-release-date-pricing,35531.html

Cheerio John

It really sounds tempting, but I'm kinda on a budget and have no real need for the latest and greatest thing, which is why I was looking for a 6th gen when the 7th gen came out.

I'll give it some thought.

More stuff for nerds that may affect the decision: I am using a Lenovo LI2264D monitor, 1920x1080 resolution at 75Hz. I'm not sure if this is a FreeSync monitor.

Matt

Last edited:
8 GB DDR3 no-brand RAM <------- I have some concerns about the quality of this RAM...
That might be a bottleneck. You need to look in BIOS setup to see how RAM access is configured. It is possible that upgrading to a higher speed RAM and reconfiguring the memory access settings will improve response. It all depends on what the motherboard supports. Correct RAM configuration is a bit of a black art, but there is plenty of information available, and in some cases the motherboard will autoconfigure to the optimum settings.

Back