American Streamliners

Hey diecastgalore - that screens rules :cool:

... and thank you very much for your compliment! I am very glad to see people uses even my Lookoutpass Line to run some trains :)

It unfortunately inludes a little mistake which I did not realised back the time as I crated the route. Some weeks ago I found an article called "When the RailRoad leaves Town". There was also a chapter about the Lookoutpass Line. It outlined that the famous S-Curve-Trestle has already been abandoned and replaced by using a switchback in 1963!! My route represents the time of the late 60's - early 70's.
At the moment I am working to extend the whole route as far as to Alberton, Mt and the most eastern basboards will end up a little east of Frenchtown.
But what I should do about the S-Curve-Trestle? The mentioned article does not tell when the wooden trestle has been demolished - soon after the switchback came into use? If anybody have any suggestions - or further information - don't hesitate to led me know.

Your's TUME

Hey diecastgalore - that screens rules :cool:

... and thank you very much for your compliment! I am very glad to see people uses even my Lookoutpass Line to run some trains :)

It unfortunately inludes a little mistake which I did not realised back the time as I crated the route. Some weeks ago I found an article called "When the RailRoad leaves Town". There was also a chapter about the Lookoutpass Line. It outlined that the famous S-Curve-Trestle has already been abandoned and replaced by using a switchback in 1963!! My route represents the time of the late 60's - early 70's.
At the moment I am working to extend the whole route as far as to Alberton, Mt and the most eastern basboards will end up a little east of Frenchtown.
But what I should do about the S-Curve-Trestle? The mentioned article does not tell when the wooden trestle has been demolished - soon after the switchback came into use? If anybody have any suggestions - or further information - don't hesitate to led me know.

Your's TUME

Hello TUME: I don't have a good answer to your question regarding the trestle. If it were me, I would leave it as it is. I'm sort of stuck in the late 50's, 60's and 70's anyhow. I am thrilled that you are doing an extension to Alberton. I sometimes stumble onto stories about the NP back in the day when I am researching projects. I'll keep an eye pealed for anything I might come across that would help your effort, if I find something, I will PM you. I certainly appreciate your artistry!

Thank you very much, diecastgalore, for the beautiful rollingstock.

Would it be possible, that you will upload some consists with this rollingstock, please?
I am a little bit helpless with the order of the cars in a consist.

Regards
Swordfish

While I do have some consists put together, I have never really considered uploading them, mainly because my content has been changing fairly regularly, and when that happens, I am

unsure what kind of bugs might be generated for someone else. Usually when I see the bugs, I know why I am seeing them(because I've changed something on one of the rolling stock).

I would say the EB is in a place where it should remain stable for a while now, provided NV3 puts all of it up on the DLS, so maybe I will upload a couple of consists. In the interim, I might

suggest using the resource that I use http://www.trainweb.org/fredatsf/eb51.htm. this page covers the 1955-67 EB. If you navigate around to the parent website, you can find your way

to other versions of the builder, the NCL, and many American Streamliners from the golden age of American Railroading.

@ diecastgalore, thank you ...
... and yes please PM-me. Any information that helps are more than welcome.

@ all of you ...
... here is a screen of a Olympian Hiawatha pulled by a couple of Erie-Builts while running eastbound in front of the substation operators houses at Tarkio, Mt - located at the Alberton Extension.

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Your's TUME

Thank you very much, diecastgalore, for the beautiful rollingstock.

Would it be possible, that you will upload some consists with this rollingstock, please?
I am a little bit helpless with the order of the cars in a consist.

Regards
Swordfish

Here you go http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEEmpireBuilderConsists.htm

Consists changed with season, year, and ridership. The consist that I've been using is made up of mostly express boxcars, mail cars, baggage cars, a few sleepers, a coffee shop, and a observation car, no domes to reflect an early post-war - pre-1955 consist.

Last edited:
After several years away from Trainz, when I saw your Empire Builder on the DLS, I immediately had to see what cards you were dealing us. I took a look and I think what you've done is excellent and by far blows my early reskins out of the water! I never did have the time to do what you have done, which was a huge goal of mine. Thank you for taking the time to create this wonderful set! I look forward to seeing your NCL.

After several years away from Trainz, when I saw your Empire Builder on the DLS, I immediately had to see what cards you were dealing us. I took a look and I think what you've done is excellent and by far blows my early reskins out of the water! I never did have the time to do what you have done, which was a huge goal of mine. Thank you for taking the time to create this wonderful set! I look forward to seeing your NCL.

Well I hope you won't be offended that I used your reskin maps as a crossreference for color matching along with Norfolk

Southern 37's F7s. My hope was to keep colors as close to each other as possible to allow mixing and matching if so desired.

The models are not that great, but they were time consuming, and the process sort of evolved as I went along. I wish I could

have done better interiors, but the interiors were never meant to be close up viewing, only viewed thru the windows.

Well I hope you won't be offended that I used your reskin maps as a crossreference for color matching along with Norfolk

Southern 37's F7s. My hope was to keep colors as close to each other as possible to allow mixing and matching if so desired.

No, not at all! It's nice to see that you tried to match it, though I won't guarantee my own color accuracy, since that was one of my early reskins.

The models are not that great, but they were time consuming, and the process sort of evolved as I went along. I wish I could

have done better interiors, but the interiors were never meant to be close up viewing, only viewed thru the windows.

I think your models are perfectly fine, and anybody who is dissatisfied should take the time to do it themselves. About the only thing I think they could benefit from would be the use of LOD, but that goes back to my last sentence. :)

Again, thanks for the work you put into this fine set. If you ever need some fact checking done with the Great Northern, let me know and I would be happy to help. I can't guarantee I will frequently be in the Trainz universe, but I will do my best to stop in from time to time, and perhaps make a come back at some point.

Regards

Last edited:
About the only thing I think they could benefit from would be the use of LOD, but that goes back to my last sentence. :)

Regards

Just in the interest of keeping the facts straight, all 75+ railcars do incorporate LOD, the only items that do not are some of the attachment items where LOD

would not be a benefit. One the railcars however I did adjust my settings in the LOD text to sort of slow down the switching a little, because early on I found that

the trains would begin to look a little funny-those railcars that were the farthest away wouldn't look very nice as the train got longer, mainly because at the point

in my models where it switches to the 3rd level, the windows at that point are no longer transparent, they are just represented in the texture, so by slowing the

process it helped for that effect to not be quite as prominent. But everything uses 4 part LOD, I never considered doing it any other way, the dome cars in

particular by the time you cut windows into the the body the polycount really begins to soar, and when you begin adding interior even the rudimentary stuff I did,

it all adds up.;)

diecastgalore, can you look at Project Western's NP F7's and see if you can match that color scheme by re-skinning your own set, and releasing it as something else?

At this time, the Empire Builder is available on the DLS. The North Coast Limited still needs some cleanup, so it may be a couple months or more before it sees the light of day.

Did the North Coast Limited cars ever make it to the DLS? If so, I can't find them, but would love to!

I have never completed the set, as far as doing the cleanup. I was burned out from working on both consists for about 18 months and if I recall, sometime after that someone released a complete set as payware.

So I sort of scuttled that mission, because I really cannot compete with the payware folks. Really don't even care to. So I have my set that I created, and it does have a flaw or 3 or 6, but I like them as is. It is after all, supposed to be a fun experience for

everyone. Someday I may get a hankering to fix some of the flaws. Just have not done it as yet. I want to see what happens with 22 and beyond, see if my stuff will even work, particularly the passengers, baggage, express and mail functions. I enjoy

sometimes just firing up a long route with compatible passenger stations and scheduling a couple passenger trains to run and watch them stop and load and unload passengers. Once, back when TANE was still new, I modified the old MRL route with all my own

stations and allowed an Empire Builder and an NCL to run continuous for several days. I cannot remember how many miles those trains racked up but it was a lot. Maybe I'll find a route again someday that works well for that...and works in the newer versions

of Trainz.

I actually had plans to do a couple other consists back then as well, some California Zephyr cars, and I always thought a few other name trains from the Streamliner age would be cool. The ATSF stuff was something I always wanted to update for passenger,

baggage and express capability, as well as my other big passenger consists, the UP "city" cars. But it just requires such an investment of time.

I have never completed the set, as far as doing the cleanup. I was burned out from working on both consists for about 18 months and if I recall, sometime after that someone released a complete set as payware.

So I sort of scuttled that mission, because I really cannot compete with the payware folks. Really don't even care to. So I have my set that I created, and it does have a flaw or 3 or 6, but I like them as is. It is after all, supposed to be a fun experience for

everyone. Someday I may get a hankering to fix some of the flaws. Just have not done it as yet. I want to see what happens with 22 and beyond, see if my stuff will even work, particularly the passengers, baggage, express and mail functions. I enjoy

sometimes just firing up a long route with compatible passenger stations and scheduling a couple passenger trains to run and watch them stop and load and unload passengers. Once, back when TANE was still new, I modified the old MRL route with all my own

stations and allowed an Empire Builder and an NCL to run continuous for several days. I cannot remember how many miles those trains racked up but it was a lot. Maybe I'll find a route again someday that works well for that...and works in the newer versions

of Trainz.

I actually had plans to do a couple other consists back then as well, some California Zephyr cars, and I always thought a few other name trains from the Streamliner age would be cool. The ATSF stuff was something I always wanted to update for passenger,

baggage and express capability, as well as my other big passenger consists, the UP "city" cars. But it just requires such an investment of time.

Ah, that makes sense then, thank you so much for taking the time to answer. I only wanted to make sure I wasn't missing them. Yes, Trainz-Forge has a payware version, I also discovered. I put it onto my Wish List, lol. Well thanks again for the Empire Builder, I remain totally thrilled with that. I have a few Zephyr's that Whitepass did, and they're so neat looking, but the California Zephyr is completely different, eh? I'm just now looking at that...

The only payware North Coast Limited I'm aware of for Trainz is the Timken 1111 pack on Trainz Forge, but that models the train in the steam era with heavyweight cars. Yours is obviously based on the lightweight train introduced in the mid 1950s, and as far as I know no one else has made the same consist let alone release it as payware.

Back