Diagramming or mapping....

Railhead001

I have been updating/upgrading a preinstalled route and would like to know of any software that would show a map/diagram of the route and allow notations to be made such as for industries. It would be a nice feature if it allowed
the ability to show a picture (thumbnail) of that industry whether in jpg or png formats and notations.

Some examples would be of a kitbashed Cold Storage Warehouse I created:

AA Cold Storage (Name of Industry)

Warehouse (Type of Industry)
In: Frozen concentrated orange juice, chilled produce, medicine (Products Inbound)
Out: Same (Products Outbound)

or

Get Right Building Products (Name of Industry)

Wholesale building supplier (Type of Industry)
In: Lumber, bricks, gravel, powered equipment such as mixers and compressors (Products Inbound)
Out: Pre fabricated wood framing, bulk products such as concrete or sand, prefab cement products (Products Outbound)

I am interested in either freeware or payware software that could produce this.

The question of 'mapping' for Trainz has been raised many times in many guises, it is very much a 'nice to have' which I'm sure would be useful to many.

Nothing currently exists which will do what is wanted and generally the answer is to use some form of workaround to produce a printed map.

Unfortunately this 'nice to have' is unlikely to get developed any time soon as, in my opinion, there would be a fair amount of 'programming' type work to be done (= money) and there are other, higher priority, developments which would give 'more bang for the Buck' that will come first.

Like your kit bashed corner, good idea especially for model railway type layouts where the whole feel of the layout can be changed by such changes).

Chris M

No tool exist that I know off.

Phil, as linked above, made some nice pages for this route which could be an example of how you could make it yourself.

What I did myself was make an introduction / free-drive session for the route I published. People want to free-drive anyway, so why not combine it with some knowledge sharing about the route?
Take a look at Standard12 free drive / intro session,<kuid2:645812:97711:3> (related to the route / project I announced here).

Later I turned the content of that session into a webpage, which can be found here.
I like the in-session HTML more as that way people have to do less searching or editing assets to get to the knowledge. To bad the images that do work in TS12 stopped showing in TANE for probably some buggy reason.

It would be nice if somebody could do a program for Tane like Trainzmap. This was a mapping and modifying program for 2006 version. Thackalane did a work around to make it work with his SCS program and had Trainzmap showing up until half way through 2010 version of Trainz. If you want to see what it did google Trainzmap.

Problem is N3V does not document its file format and everything has to be reverse engineered. Lots of work and they like to change file formats 2 or more times per version.

It was a fantastic program.

I have to agree it would help greatly to have a similar program to trainzmap as unless you either know the location etc of the layout or have a schematic drawing provided it takes a long time on a big layout to sort out where everything is and what it does ? Either that or ask route creators to provide a map in similar vein to what whas provided for Murchisson which even now is still a fantastic route

Railhead --

I'm away in Burma at the moment so I'll have to do this by memory.

I made a copy of the layout and re-textured it with a texture from the Download Station that was identical with the original baseboard texture (name ?).

Then I zoomed out in Surveyor and took a screen shot. I cropped the screen shot and added the text using CorelDraw (but any similar package will do).

It's a bit fiddly and it's limited by how far you can zoom out to take the screen shot.

Phil

Railhead --

I'm away in Burma at the moment so I'll have to do this by memory.

I made a copy of the layout and re-textured it with a texture from the Download Station that was identical with the original baseboard texture (name ?).

Then I zoomed out in Surveyor and took a screen shot. I cropped the screen shot and added the text using CorelDraw (but any similar package will do).

It's a bit fiddly and it's limited by how far you can zoom out to take the screen shot.

Phil

Ahh, that makes sense.....I noticed the win 10 photo editor gives you the ability to write on screenshots now as well, I might have to try that out to see what it can do...........Burma sounds wonderful.....I hear the beer isn't so bad over there either....

Back