Can Not "GET" Object in route.

N5VAV

TPR Route Creator
Hello all.
I'm back working with TRAINZ again on a more regular basis.
I'm in process of changing some scenery assets to more modern, better looking, and better performing assets on some of my and TPR's routes.

I'm running into a problem with some assets though that I have not yet been able to figure out.

When trying to GET assets to see what they are, and then REPLACE with other assets, the GET function will not work !

Most objects do OK, but there are some that surveyor will not GET.

I've tried playing with the layers option, but even in just the route layer, it won't work. So, I am not sure of the name of the object to replace it, and have it show up.

Has anyone found a fix for this?
I know that this is a KUID 523 Speed tree asset, but I don't know which one.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi, Jeff! I haven't personally dealt with the problem you describe. But, if I were confronted with an "un-gettable" object, some of the things I'd probably try (using a back up copy of the route in question)
- see if the tree can be deleted using the "delete" tool, and replaced using "undo"
- see if the tree can be copied and pasted to another location
- see if the tree isn't part of a spline by applying the spline "get" tool
- see which KUID 523 speed trees the route lists as dependencies

Jeff,

There are some assets which for some reason N3V did not want us to be able to place ourselves. Among these assets are the Speed Tree Groups.

There is a way however, to enable the assets in Surveyor and this is done by changing a line in the config.txt file for these assets.

In Content Manager, look for the 523 asset you think is the culprit. Open for edit and edit the config.txt file.

There's a privileges container, which will have permit-listing 0 in it.

privileges
{
permit-listing 0

}

Change the 0, which I have emboldened to a 1.

This is a Boolean switch meaning it's either true - 1 or false - 0. You want it to be true.

Here's the complete Wiki article on this.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"privileges"_container

Once you've made your change, commit the asset.

You will receive a warning about overwriting a built-in asset. In this case confirm you do want to do this because this is the intention.

Hope this helps.

John

When trying to GET assets to see what they are, and then REPLACE with other assets, the GET function will not work !
What happens when you try? If the problem is that you 'get' a different (usually, much larger) asset then the solution is to temporarily move that larger asset to a different location, get the asset you want, and then move the other asset back.

If that's not the problem, then try getting it from directly above in a close-up view. Some assets have their 'get' point somewhat removed from the visible part of the asset, so you have to click all around them to find it, but that's not common.

Jeff,

There are some assets which for some reason N3V did not want us to be able to place ourselves. Among these assets are the Speed Tree Groups.

There is a way however, to enable the assets in Surveyor and this is done by changing a line in the config.txt file for these assets.

In Content Manager, look for the 523 asset you think is the culprit. Open for edit and edit the config.txt file.

There's a privileges container, which will have permit-listing 0 in it.

privileges
{
permit-listing 0

}

Change the 0, which I have emboldened to a 1.

This is a Boolean switch meaning it's either true - 1 or false - 0. You want it to be true.

Here's the complete Wiki article on this.

http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/"privileges"_container

Once you've made your change, commit the asset.

You will receive a warning about overwriting a built-in asset. In this case confirm you do want to do this because this is the intention.

Hope this helps.

John

So John,

1, are you saying that any object that has "is-payware-content" set to 1 cannot be "getted" in Surveyor?

2, What decides where the "get" point of an object is?

Mick

Last edited:
1, are you saying that any object that has "is-payware-content" set to 1 cannot be "getted" in Surveyor?
No. That setting is not used in Surveyor. The 'permit-listing' setting controls whether or not the object is listed in the flyout tabs for the asset type. That is, whether or not it is possible to 'get' it from the listing.

2, What decides where the "get" point of an object is?
Generally, the shape of the mesh. There are some options to modify this for specific purposes, but they are rarely used and would not typically apply to trees.

i also have this issue, like i mentioned in 2 threads:
- post #45 in http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-model-railroad-quot-The-Yuan-Gulch-RRCo-quot
- post #11 in http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...l-(-Large-Screenshots-)&p=1579162#post1579162

my goal of using the got (get-object-tool) is changing, deleting, moving... but above all: recognize by name of the asset for using in my own or others layout ...
i know that the payware-assets are touchable for recognizing, but not for moving, deleting or changing ...
in tane and tmr17 i cannot touch some nonpayware-assets...
i tried (in surveyor):
- tab objects - object mode - get object tool
- tab objects - spline mode - get spline tool
- tab tracks - track mode - get track tool
- tab tracks - trackside mode - get object tool
- tab layers - locked/hidden or even invisible/secret layer....
- tab paint - get texture........

reading this thread i looked up for those assets in the "list of dependencies" (rightclick on route-session in contentmanager) and previewed the asset (rightclick item in list of dependencies)... till i found what i was looking for... a "huge" job ... so it would be nice if i could touch them ... easier and quicker ...
i found for instance:
<kuid2:645812:97946:1> HUGE wall brick, spline = built-in =
<kuid2:69871:2381:1> Model Trainz Fascia, one thick, floor to baseboard - timber = installed from dls =

@ sailordan: the items i want are big, even huge... but i can't touch them...
in ts12 i had the problem that they were always in the way when you grabbed a smaller asset and i did what you said: delete or move it and place it back afterwards....
@ jcitron: in the config.txt of the untouchable assets i want is no privileges-container as you described...

so, i'm also still looking for the solution...

greetz
daveric

@ jcitron: in the config.txt of the untouchable assets i want is no privileges-container as you described...

Daveric,

Sometimes there are some assets which are difficult to get such as splines attached to bridges, or the bridges themselves. There are also some assets, like some really, really, old roads which we can't seem to grab. It maybe that because I have no idea what they are, I am unable to update the permit-listing line so instead I manually replace those when I come across them in very old routes.

For the bridges, I've resorted to disconnecting the attached road or track then clicking on the attachment point (circle) using the get tool to find out what that asset is. It's not convenient, but it works.

For the bridges, I've resorted to disconnecting the attached road or track then clicking on the attachment point (circle) using the get tool to find out what that asset is. It's not convenient, but it works.

hello john
that bridge-advise worked fine, thanks for that...
what me really wonders is why i cannot touch simple, big assets like "huge wall" and "baseboards" in new trainzversions like tane and tmr17... especially the basic-assets you need in modelworkz...

daveric

hello john
that bridge-advise worked fine, thanks for that...
what me really wonders is why i cannot touch simple, big assets like "huge wall" and "baseboards" in new trainzversions like tane and tmr17... especially the basic-assets you need in modelworkz...

daveric

That's because the center point is somewhere else and the mouse cursor can't find it. In TS12 the mouse could select something a mile away, just kidding, but you couldn't click on the building you pointed to. Why this happens, I don't know. For situations like this, zooming out really helps when selecting the assets.

Most of the large walls are splines, so you should be able to get them at the bottom on one end.
Cheers,
Mike

thank you john and mike: i finally find the solution thanks to the combination of you two (bridge and bottom) and logic.... the spline-ends = the yellow or white cirkels ....
how simple can it be....
i didn't find the spline-end of the board, which is also a spline, but i can sleep now.... and practice tomorrow....

and thank you jeff (n5vav) ... for hosting this thread .. hope you'll find your solution too ...

grtz
daveric

I don't use baseboards (I presume you mean floor panels)
Phil Skene has a much better idea using the Fascia Spline.
You lower the level of the ground to the new floor level and then use a floor texture on it. Make sure you are using the 5 meter setting on the baseboard ( this is what I know as a baseboard. (The 750M X 750M area with the yellow grid pattern on it.)
The Fascia is quite thick so when you place it you will cover the edge of the sloping ground.
Cheers,
Mike

I don't know if this what you're talking about but I wanted to use tree spindly brown(A bush). I remembered it from TS12 and it is a built in asset in TANE. Problem was I could not find it in the game? So what I did was add it to a pick list in Content Manager. Is this something already in a route? If so you could look at dependencies in Content Manager.
Dean

Phil Skene has a much better idea using the Fascia Spline.
Cheers,
Mike

i was meaning this "fascia spline" in his layouts, what i couldn't touch...
in the meantime i found it in the list of his dependencies (post #7) so i can use it, although i can not find (yet) the ends of this spline....
but i can practice now and i will find a next one ....

thanks again, mike
cu around

The spline point is at the bottom, the same as the wall.
When it is in position against the bank it tends to move up the side of the Fascia.
Also when you look for it, go behind the wall and look through it.
Cheers,
Mike

kind of funny I recently stumbled upon these trees and put them in a pick list and was able to use them from they're...

Hello,
I have seen this problem in Trainz 2012 with portals. I don't do much with trees so I don't know if those are also a problem. Placing, deleting, get info, and naming portals all work fine, just can't "get" them so see which one they are. I have verified that they are on the route layer and the route layer is selected and unlocked. I try "getting" on the spline points and in the center with no luck. This applies to all of the non-iportals. The iportals respond to "get" just fine. I just tried the trick of detaching the sline first with no luck. There is no container in the config file for changing permissions. Thanks in advance if anyone has other suggestions.

Kevin

Back