Franklin Avenue Industrial

dmorzo

I recently purchased TMR17 and as I was becoming familiar with the routes I noticed that the Franklin Avenue Industrial layout requires you to drive through the surrounding walls. Is this just an error or is it representative of what can be expected on other routes? Does anyone know how to eliminate the walls?

It sounds like the sort of thing that users of timber sheds to model railways here in the UK have used to increase space - running tracks in a box built on the outside wall of the shed!

If I did this on a virtual model RR, I would personally want a hole in the wall and a representation of the box, for realism.

Ray

Hi. I built Franklin Ave industrial. The reason for the tracks running through the walls is that there is no way to reduce the size of the walls or backdrops. So because I needed a backdrop of some kind I was left with no choice. I did my best to add a transition point like the highway overpass but this wasn't possible everywhere. And if you're referring to the staging tracks behind the backdrops, that area is "out of view" from the operating floor, and again due to the limitations of the walls/backdrops I had no choice and figured it was out of view anyway so no big deal. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.

Joe
aka Approach Medium

Hi. I built Franklin Ave industrial. The reason for the tracks running through the walls is that there is no way to reduce the size of the walls or backdrops. So because I needed a backdrop of some kind I was left with no choice. I did my best to add a transition point like the highway overpass but this wasn't possible everywhere. And if you're referring to the staging tracks behind the backdrops, that area is "out of view" from the operating floor, and again due to the limitations of the walls/backdrops I had no choice and figured it was out of view anyway so no big deal. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.

Joe
aka Approach Medium

Hello Joe,

I wanted to let you know, your YouTube Videos are top notch for PBRR Route, keep up the great work......And you make a great teacher.....Sorry for off topic here.

Joe,

I will say that the Franklin Avenue route is one of my favorites, and enjoyed testing it immensely during the beta.

Your work is top notch with your attention to detail. :)

Ramp? Where can I find the ramp in Franklin Avenue Monday Morning Local? Thank you

Joe
aka Approach Medium

Ramp? Where can I find the ramp in Franklin Avenue Monday Morning Local? Thank you

Henry 14/09/2018

RailHead001 did some routes with the same issue, so he would hide it with trees and overpasses. When he got to Pioneer P&G he discovered tunnels. They actually work well and look more natural.

Session plan unclear for Franklin Aveneue - Moday morning local

Hi, Joe - aka Approach Medium

I find that the overall layout and level of detail you have put into the Franklin Avenue is great, but there are something that goes wrong with the trains schedule when I'm trying to run it.

I have tried to drive Franklin Aveneue - Moday morning local - in both Trainz 2019 and in "The new Era" version - on my iMac computer.

I'm not sure if the issue has something to do with the Mac version of Trainz?

Briefly, what happens is that somewhere around the 1/3 in the session - Franklin Aveneue - Moday morning local - the session information - in the upper right corner - get screwed up - and somehow does not move on beyond the step number 8 or 9 - or actually yesterday - it mas moving into step #7 - and then for some unknot reason for me, moved backwards to step #9, and keept asking me to place two boxcars - that was already placed at the right spot.

Similar things happens on both platforms - Trainz 2019 and "New Era" version.

Would it be possible to receive a copy of the whole session plan that could be used to run the session as you intended?

Alle the best-

- - john - - Denmark.

:)

Thanks a bunch JCitron!

Franklin Ave is really enjoyable. I too have found problems with the sessions not working properly in TRS19 but I never worried about it. I just did my own thing. I frequently find that Tane sessions have issues in TRS19 for whatever reason. I don't in any way blame the creators. I'm sure it's something that's different between the versions. I was going to explore the session rules to see what was killing the session but just never got around to it.

Thanks for this confirmation of my experiences - from both latest versions of Trainz.....And I'm not blaming anybody, but just found it strange that a build in session did not work as described. Maybe someone with greater skills in understanding the sessions rule someday will look into it....Hope the best. Have a great day.

I do agree that when a route is said to be compatible with TRS19 the sessions should work. If not, N3V should at least give a notice of a potential issue. I may delve into the problems in detail sometime over the next few days.

Thanks, that's much appreciated. Also, if possible, if you might be able to share some of your findings, so the rest could learn from from it, as the session planning is somewhat of a mystery for at least me. Have a nice day. :D

Let me emphasize that I'm a novice but I have fixed some non-working sessions for self only. I've only uploaded one session for sharing and it was for Kickstarter 2. Pretty simple stuff. Grab cars, load, build a train in the yard. It's - "Local Duties - TRS19 KS2". (Author = 1611mac) - I actually enjoy "debugging."

Fired up Monday morning local in Tane SP4 and TRS19 Plus and the first things I see is that the opening "Tasks" are wrong in '19. (The single line tasks at top right of screen, not the main dialog info.)

Tane correctly says "Couple to the Gondola" and secondly "Couple to the Boxcars"
'19 says "Gondolas" and then "Uncouple loaded Gondolas" which is wrong.

So something is weird in '19 at session start. If you simply click on "Gondolas" the msg goes away and you then get the same two proper tasks as in Tane.

I've found that the onscreen tasks are in error. When the onscreen task says "Spot the Reefer" it has by-passed/skipped several required tasks. Spotting the reefer is actually much further into the session. When done, I'll try to come up with step by step instructions. Slow going - I have found that with this session if you pause or quit and come back things stop working and you get no icons and no way to complete tasks.

More to follow.

I conclude that the session order and the session instructions conflict. There are other problems also. The "spot the refer" action is never executed in game. Unlike all other movements there is no nav icon set, no uncouple, nor points awarded for the action.

You can actually complete the session by ignoring the short on screen instructions (steps). If you simply follow the icons to where they take you and deduce what cars to leave (pretty easy) the session will run to end, however, there never is a call or direction in game to actually "spot the reefer" at cold storage. When the game ends the reefer is still coupled by itself to the loco's.

Findings have been sent to N3V support.

Hi 1611mac, Thanks for your efforts (from another mac..) ..and your digging into this helps me. Interesting the original designer of the Monday morning session actually told in his YouTube canal, that he would like to have more general instructions and leave out the detailed "icons"...so somehow the session has ended up being in between icon driven and instruction driven..if you get my point.

I will definitely try to run the session as you says using the "icons" to guide ..but I actually remember from one of my very first attempts to run the session (think it was in Trainz2019) that there were some instructions where to spot the reefer ...but these has since gone..Mysteries....

I have also downloaded your session and will run it asap.

The creator make great routes. But somewhere between the creation of this session and the end user, something weird happened with this session.

To be clear on "spot the reefer." There is an instruction (task) that comes up telling you to "spot" the reefer at Cold Storage. But when it comes time to do so there are no icons, (place here, uncouple, next task, etc) for the task.

Looking through the session commands (edit session) I find no command associated with spotting the reefer and no place where points are awarded like there are for every single other task.

So just ignore the task commands and follow the icons to run the session to end. Like I said, you'll have the reefer left over still attached to your loco.

Back