Pennsylvania & Berwind Route

nimec

I came a cross a you tube video of this route which I haven't heard of before. It looks as if it could be a good route with lots of interactive industries. Cant find it on the DLS so does anyone know if it was ever finished for TANE and if so where it is available from? It looks as if it would be payware route but I cant find it on any of the payware sites I visit
Cheers

You mean this route?

If so, in the description it mentions this: "a route 6 years in the making", which makes me believe it is a Work In Progress, so nowhere to be downloaded.
The posted of the route is replying often to comments made on his videos on YouTube, so you could just ask there to be sure.

Edit:
If you take a good look at the video, like at 12:37, you see parts are not finished yet, so I am pretty sure this is a long project he is still working on.

Good looking route and nice camera work by the way.

Last edited:
Thanks. I see he started it for 2009 so I was hoping he may have finished it by now, however if he is still working on it as you suggest, perhaps we can expect a quality route when and if he does release it.
Cheers

I used this route many years ago and it was available for download. I am not sure where I got it from though.
Cheers,
Mike

edit. Did some checking and it was a 2004 route. It will not run in later versions.

Last edited:
I came a cross a you tube video of this route which I haven't heard of before. It looks as if it could be a good route with lots of interactive industries. Cant find it on the DLS so does anyone know if it was ever finished for TANE and if so where it is available from? It looks as if it would be payware route but I cant find it on any of the payware sites I visit
Cheers

The one thing you apparently did not do. Search the forum? LOL!

Here ya go ;)

New Trainz 04 Route - The Pennsylvania & Berwind RR

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...amp-Berwind-RR&highlight=Pennsylvania+Berwind

Rico

Thanks Guys
Post #94 of the thread refers to on ricom35's post seems to say it all in that as it was originally a 2004 route the map will not load on to the modern DLS. Pity. Is seemed to be a class route
Cheers

Thanks Guys
Post #94 of the thread refers to on ricom35's post seems to say it all in that as it was originally a 2004 route the map will not load on to the modern DLS. Pity. Is seemed to be a class route
Cheers

Nimec: billm001 is building the route in TANE now. I asked him to pop over here and update us all on the route progress.

His answer on the video "Yes, this is TANE. I'll take a spin over to the forums but unfortunately I don't have a CDP file to share. When this route is complete I'll upload but as far as the original goes it's no longer available. Thanks for watching ;-)

Rico

Hi everyone. I'm Approach Medium on YouTube and I guess I should clear up a few things.

Firstly, I am not Billm001. Bill created the original P&B for 2006 many, many years ago. As a huge fan I asked him for permission to rebuild the route for (at the time) TS10. I've continued work since then and it's currently being built in T:ANE. Unfortunately, Bill never uploaded his map to the download station. It was only available through some third party download link that appears to be no longer available.

My goal has always been to bring the route up to current game standards and release it to the public once again. But the build (and my style of building) has been slow. It's a huge project. If you follow along with my series you'll know that I'm planning to release the route in completed stages or phases. Currently the first phase is getting kind of close to completion. I'm hoping to release maybe by the summer time depending on how much time I can devote to my video series' and actual game play. I am a busy adult living in NYC working a handful of freelance jobs as well as a full time one so things tend to be a bit unpredictable for me.

As I get closer to an eventual release I'll start a thread here to alert anyone interested. I was waiting to start a thread because of the time issue again. I'll pop in here and there but the best way to stay in contact with me is through my YouTube channel or Twitter @approach_medium

Here is a list of the original threads from a zillion years ago:

Bills release post, http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...-Route-The-Pennsylvania-amp-Berwind-RR/page11

Bills photo thread, http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...tain-Shortline-Large-Pics-(1024-x-786)/page49

My 2010 version, http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...mp-Berwind-Version-2010-(Large-Images)/page11

My 2004-10 thread, http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?53384-Pennsylvania-amp-Berwind-Route-Update!-(TRS2010)

Edit: Looks like the majority of the images on the threads are missing but it's worth looking at the dialogue I suppose

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that initially I tried to update his route for TS10 by changing out faulty assets, etc. At the time it wasn't possible but maybe it's a possibility now?

Last edited:
Approach,

I dl's the original route many years ago. I originally thought I got it off the DLS but now it's apparent it was dl'd from a 3rd party site and no longer available. I checked and couldn't find it in my TRS04 content but I looked yesterday and I still have it installed in TRS06 but with several missing dependencies. I wasn't too worried about missing content (there was a lot of stuff not on the dls) because I mostly use routes like this as samples to study for scenery ideas for areas in PA I model. I probably have the cdp's on cd - someplace.

Just reading thru the linked forum thread (thanks Rico) I realized that Bill not only made the route but literally a blueprint for operating it - maps and timetables listing industries and railcars necessary to serve them. Hopefully I can find all that stuff on my archived backup cd's as well but that's a long shot.

Just last week I watched all your youtube videos on building the new PBRR and the tour. I recommend the series to any one interested in this great mountain shortline route. Maybe not so short anymore. I found the videos excellent and really enjoyed your commentary.

Looking forward to more on this in 2017.

Bob Pearson

PS For anyone interested in the old TRS04 version of the PBRR, on rereading Rico link to the old PBRR thread in the forum, I found an active link to a cdp of the route in post #94. I haven't tired to load it yet but will later tonight maybe.

Last edited:
Hello Approach Medium, AKA Joe, great video teaching on the YouTube, learned a lot from your series this weekend, and hopefully when you do get to the point of releasing the Route, I can run it on T:ANE, as I don't use TS-12 any longer.

As for your personal life, I definitely get that, got to be able to put a Roof over one's head, Food on the table Etc..... And that has to be priority first over us, so respectfully whatever time it takes is more than OK with me. One heck of Route Sir.

Message #9 perfect!!! I'm doing a copy and past to my Tickler List for later, thanks again for great info.

Bob,

Yes, Bill did include a blueprint for operation along with the route. That's one of the thing that really made the route special for me and many others. I still have all of the associated paper work both digital and in print. Recently I've been thinking of how I could include it when I release the route. Since I'm not the original creator of the paper work (or the route) I wouldn't feel comfortable including it without Bill's approval. I have permission from him to release the route when it's ready but as for the rest I'm not sure and I'd rather not assume. Although I'm sure he'd be ecstatic that there is a resurgence of interest in the P&B. (I want to make sure I always credit him when possible) The best I can think of doing is maybe I can produce a video overview of operations through each area so people have an idea of how to run it. But for the most part it's pretty self explanatory I think.

I wish the original was still available or Bill was still around at least. I sent him an email about this time last year and only just heard back from him in September and haven't heard since. So I don't know what he's up to these days.

I'm so glad to hear you've been enjoying my video series! I'm doing my best to keep up with the demand as my channel continues to grow.

Blue,

Also super glad you've been enjoying my series! When I made my first video I had no idea that there would be such an interest or even continued interest this far. I hope to keep it going for a good long time as well as some other builds I see in my future. I'm also hoping to do some collaborations in the future. But not for a bit ;-)

Joe
Approach Medium

Watched the series of videos by Approach Medium. Very well done, I enjoyed them all. Thank You. I became very intrigued and so went and downloaded the old route via the one still live link. I had to chase a few assets down via the Trainz Kuid Index and found all but five assets and loaded the route into TS12 with no problems. WOW, it is very nicely done in spite of its age. It would not load directly into TANE but perhaps if exported from TS12 it will work in TANE. I plan to try.

Hopefully I can find all that stuff on my archived backup cd's

Bob, If you can find copies of the support material I would be very interested. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to operate the route as it was originally intended.

Paul :)

Paul, I haven't tried looking yet. But I did load the route into TS12. I only had 24 missing assets of unknown location. The rest were on the dls. I can't say how many others from 3rd party sources I had accumulated over time - that would require a clean install to determine. But I do have quite a few ground areas with no textures. I also found a number of speed trees that appeared on a TRS04 route. Then I remembered N3V did obsolete a number of billboard trees with speed tree groups. They looked pretty ugly devoid of foliage in January - I had to add some leaves by changing the date to May.

The mapfiles in the asset folder have to be renamed before TANE will be able to use them. Importing from TS12 after opening and saving it in Surveyor is a better way perhaps.

Bob Pearson

Bob,

When I first loaded the route directly into TANE I got nothing but blank blue screen upon opening the route for edit. So I opened the route to edit in TS12 and saved it under a new name. I opened that copy in TS12 CMP and, imported that folder into TANE, voila, route loaded. TANE messed up a bunch of textures on me and is showing the ugly green and white checkerboard but I think I can fix that. There are a lot of trunda's assets in the route. Those may be the ones you are missing. I think I downloaded them years ago for something so I am missing only five assets which I believe are robertconti's that came from the old Trainzitalia site that got hacked. I wonder if TANE's bulk asset replace could be used to replace those textures? As I said in my previous message I am quite impressed by this route. I am a narrow gauge mountain railroad fan but for something different this is very nice.

Wow, I can not believe that link still works. I just downloaded the original and successfully loaded it into TS12. That really threw me back.

Well, now at least we know that it's still out there for everyone to enjoy. And now you can compare how I'm tweaking the route to how Bill had it laid out.

I wish his paperwork was still out there. I might see if I can get in contact with him again to re-release the paperwork at the very least. I'm sure he'd be thrilled so many people are still enjoying his route.

I also forgot he built the original route in TS04. Man that was so long ago!!

-Joe

Welcome back Bill! Glad you popped on and shared the paper work part of the route as there have been a lot of talk about it recently. I hope you've been enjoying my rebuild of your fantastic route. Let me know if you upgrade to TANE so I can shoot you the cdp file.

Might have to start a fresh thread on the P&B soon. 😉

Joe

Hello Bill,

Great to see you join this thread. Thanks for the support documents. As I said in my previous message I am very impressed with the route. It really doesn't show its age. I printed out those docs and have started to read thru them. Very interesting read and great fun. Provides a lot on insight into operation.

Thanks again.

Back