Updating Older Trainz Content (Prowler901; NG)

Gman347

Forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place but I am trying to work through getting some older content into TANE and have hit a block. I am updating an entire fleet of narrow steam locos and stock created by Prowler901. Some of that content goes back to Trainz2004 and UTC. I have worked my way thru all of the errors and and after many hours have gotten everything to load into TANE. Everything looks great. And I can operate the locos in DCC mode with no difficulty. All of the assorted sounds engine work with the exception of the exhaust chuffing. I searched thru the forum and found the discussion about setting direct-drive to 1 in the configs and have checked to be sure that only the drivers are set that way. I had initially made most of my edits in TS12 and many of the locos chuffed appropriately in that version, although some did not. Once imported into TANE, none are working properly. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. Since none of the locos work I am assuming, and hoping, that the fix will be virtually the same for all.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Paul :)

Hum, are you sure you are hearing nothing? I did a quick test of a randomly selected Prowler901 locomotive

and found that there was chuffing, it was very quiet and drowned out by clickity-clack and other environmental sounds. Perhaps there is some program that may allow increasing the volume of the sound(s). (Note that I have not adjusted the direct-drive setting that I remember.)

I know what the issue is. Something in the wheels config is missing. I was told that's the reason the MSTNoodle models don't have chuffing, because said line does the sound.

The primary bogie config needs to include the "direct-drive 1" line. All other bogies must not have this line. My understanding is that the program takes it's cues from that bogie about the animation in the steam loco and uses the sounds in the associated kuid based upon that animation. It therefore is critical to name the .wav files properly in order for the sounds to be implemented. Unfortunately there have been changes in the way the program handles sounds and I suspect in the names of the files. I examined the sound package for one of the locos that is not working and the .wav filenames do not match what is listed in the 2006 Content Creation Guide. It is not current but to my knowledge is the latest available. The names do not match up properly. I plan to look into the file naming of a sound package that has been set up to work in TANE in the hopes it will provide some guidance. Changing the sound package, or the file names in the existing package, would not be that hard if that will fix it. So I am planning to try a sound package swap along with a check of all bogie files in a non-operative loco to see if that will fix the problem. Unfortunately all of these experiments take a lot of time and must be done systematically in order to understand what the appropriate fix is.

Paul :)

Well I just found something interesting, in testing another locomotive (C-16 #223) I discovered that the chuffing sound was present in DCC mode but not in CAB mode. I have no idea what that means.

To be clear most of my versions of prowler901's locomotives remain at build 2.4. I have not attempted to update them to a newer build number, I merely fixed any error messages. So far as I can tell everything seems to be working correctly.

Last edited:
Means if I remember correctly that it needs a new espec and steam engine sounds as per TC3 onwards.

Means if I remember correctly that it needs a new espec and steam engine sounds as per TC3 onwards.

So if I'm happy driving around in DCC I needn't do anything?

And if I want to go to CAB I'll need to attempt updating all the files as well as generating an espec and sounds?

So if I'm happy driving around in DCC I needn't do anything?

And if I want to go to CAB I'll need to attempt updating all the files as well as generating an espec and sounds?

Basically yes, just borrow the espec from a newer similar loco and same with the sounds.

Back