Landrvr1 content questions

wpn96

Hello Trainzers,

All I know about landrvr1 is that we are allowed to distribute his content ONLY through email.

But I do have a few questions:

1. Are we allowed to distribute RESKINS of his content through EMAIL??

2. What reskins are available for email distribution??

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

Thanks,
William

And what makes you think that??:confused:
Because I believe someone reskinned some of those California Zephyr cars and was able to send them out. For example, the Amtrak Zephyr, and maybe a few others.

Also, I did some research on these forums and here's what I found:

landrvr1's thread called "All my stuff":

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?14394-All-My-Stuff&highlight=landrvr1

And this thread here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...t-Forget-The-Amtrak-Zephyr&highlight=betsy662

If you look at these two threads, I'd suggest looking at the dates when they were started.

Last edited:
The way I've always understood it when it comes to distribution is that if it's not expressly specified by the content creator in the config file or via another method (like a forum post) that content can be distributed (which includes reskins as it would technically include the content itself and would be separate from the standard distribution) then it's a case of having to get permission from the creator in order to distribute said content (or if the creator is no longer available it usually means the content can't be redistributed unless it's been specified as mentioned above).

Shane

The way I've always understood it when it comes to distribution is that if it's not expressly specified by the content creator in the config file or via another method (like a forum post) that content can be distributed (which includes reskins as it would technically include the content itself and would be separate from the standard distribution) then it's a case of having to get permission from the creator in order to distribute said content (or if the creator is no longer available it usually means the content can't be redistributed unless it's been specified as mentioned above).

Shane
Hmmmmm well.....ok then.

I don't know why not.:confused:
Because it is his, so he is the only one who can tell you what you are allowed to do with it. If he didn't tell you (by means of his license) you are not allowed. It is as easy as that.

If you still don't get it, maybe you understand it after this:
Would a random person be allowed to delete all your email or start using it as his/her own? Or destroy your PC?
If I follow your logic, every random person can destroy your PC and use your email account. I mean, you didn't tell everyone they are not allowed to do so.

I can understand you don't like it, but think about your PC and email account...

Edit:
And I see Shane already convinced you.

Last edited:
Because it is his, so he is the only one who can tell you what you are allowed to do with it. If he didn't tell you (by means of his license) you are not allowed. It is as easy as that.

If you still don't get it, maybe you understand it after this:
Would a random person be allowed to delete all your email or start using it as his/her own? Or destroy your PC?
If I follow your logic, every random person can destroy your PC and use your email account. I mean, you didn't tell everyone they are not allowed to do so.

I can understand you don't like it, but think about your PC and email account...

Edit:
And I see Shane already convinced you.

Hopefully my post made sense regarding that as that's how I've always understood things (although I'm more than happy to be corrected if I've got something wrong).

Shane

Can anyone send me the CSS&SB (South Shore Line) Single Level EMUs please? I've been looking all over for these specific EMUs because I am from that area. My email is loganrex08 AT gmail DOT com. Please send the link or whatever i need to do to obtain them to that email. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a question based on the following quote from the man himself:

"The only thing I ask is that the content be exchanged via email / file sharing. Please do not upload to any sites (including the Download Station..."

As I read this, it would certainly bar anyone from allowing downloads from their actual own websites, BUT, he includes file sharing as well as email. So I take that to mean someone COULD, put the files out in a DropBox, or OneDrive, or other file share and then share that link. Am I off base here?

He goes on to say that he hoped to someday put the assets on the DLS himself, but since this was posted in 2007, I am thinking that may never happen. I realize we can do nothing with presumed intent there, so it cannot go on the DLS, although it would be interesting if he were contactable to find out whether he had changed his mind on that. What would be really nice would be if he were willing to let people update original assets to the newer versions and share them via the DLS....

"The only thing I ask is that the content be exchanged via email / file sharing. Please do not upload to any sites (including the Download Station..."

As I read this, it would certainly bar anyone from allowing downloads from their actual own websites, BUT, he includes file sharing as well as email. So I take that to mean someone COULD, put the files out in a DropBox, or OneDrive, or other file share and then share that link. Am I off base here?
What would be really nice would be if he were willing to let people update original assets to the newer versions and share them via the DLS....
I would think NOT

Could you clarify MP242? You think that I am not off base, or you think file sharing is not allowable from what he said? The last sentence I wrote was just a comment....

I think his intent was that the sharing happen through an one to one exchange between trainzers. For example, I upload the files to Google drive possibly with a password and then send you the link and the password via email. Not broadcasting the link to the world. I imagine this was done to prevent users of illegal copies of Trainz from getting hold of the files. Sadly Trainz has always been heavily pirated software and this is in no small part due to the many websites that offer content without verifying if the downloader is a legitimate user of Trainz.

He did not want it uploaded to the DLS because at the time many creators took issue with Auran's terms that you had to agree to when uploading content to the DLS. As far as I know those terms have not been relaxed so I would say it is still a no to upgrading it and putting it on the DLS without his permission.

What is odd to me is that although I had all his stuff in TRS2004 and it was very nice by those standards of the time it would be extremely dated today. I understand that it is unique but why hasn't someone like RRMods or Jointed Rail created the same stuff if it is so popular?

William

Could you clarify MP242? You think that I am not off base, or you think file sharing is not allowable from what he said? The last sentence I wrote was just a comment....
I would think that posting "putting" "His" files out in a DropBox, or OneDrive, or other file share" and then share that link", "posting "his" assets" on an external file sharing site would constitute a violation of "his" license statement

What is odd to me is that although I had all his stuff in TRS2004 and it was very nice by those standards of the time it would be extremely dated today. I understand that it is unique but why hasn't someone like RRMods or Jointed Rail created the same stuff if it is so popular?

Most of his stuff is US passenger equipment & while there is a need & desire for it. The folks who make content for trainz have very little interest in US passenger trains. Even less interest in traction... not to mention that Chicago (which is what a fair bit of his stuff is based in) is also not really that attractive to most creator. So it ends up being made by niche creators who don't have the skills, and team to make the high-quality content we're getting from the likes of JR & RRMods.

peter

Back