T:ANE or stick with TRS12?

Orpheus2000

I still can't decide whether to buy T:ANE to replace TRS12. Up to now I have formed the impression that there's nothing much to be gained and I might as well wait until the 2020 version or whenever a complete revision of Trainz is released, rather than pay for some minor tweaks.

What's the current experience of those who have had both versions?

I was a TS2010/TS12 holdout for a while, but now work pretty much exclusively in TANE (so far as Trainz is concerned anyway).

It's never quite turned into what N3V promised but there are enough improvements and additional assets now available, along with the catalogue of service packs and hotfixes, to make it a viable (and much more reliable) proposition providing you have the hardware to run it of course. Just having access to decent looking points via Protrack, superelevation and the fact terrain now smooths flush against (most) splines = the win for me.

When TANE SP1 came out I deleted TS12 from my system. TANE is not perfect (but neither was TS12) but the advantages and additional features it offers over TS12 means that, for me at least, is was no contest.

I am a recent convert to TANE.
I bought TANE back in November 2014, was unhappy when I found my PC was not able to run it to my satisfaction, I saw no advantage over TS12 so I left it alone until January this year.
I finally did a partial upgrade to my PC on a limited budget (pensioner). I was so pleased to find that I could run the simulator at a decent performance level.
I imported a resource hungry TS12 route that I had been working on and found a massive improvement when running it...so I now run only TANE!
I am discovering new things each time I use TANE, I even prefer the content manager now, which I disliked at first.
There are no lags like in TS12 when surveyor kept checking database, no long winded asset checking, and a superbly fast database rebuild tool that does its job in a very short time, not the 20 minutes that TS12 took :)

Take time to adjust the settings according to your machine and you should be satisfied with TANE if your computer has the spec to run it.

I can't speak for driving but if you are into surveyor and building, and that your computer exceeds the minimum requirements to run T:ANE, then upgrading from TS2012 is in my view a no brainer particularly while it is on offer. If you would need to upgrade your computer to run T:ANE then I guess it becomes more of a cash flow consideration although I'm curious why you are asking as you appear to have T:ANE Standard already registered. Peter

I am a recent convert to TANE.
I bought TANE back in November 2014, was unhappy when I found my PC was not able to run it to my satisfaction, I saw no advantage over TS12 so I left it alone until January this year.
I finally did a partial upgrade to my PC on a limited budget (pensioner). I was so pleased to find that I could run the simulator at a decent performance level.
I imported a resource hungry TS12 route that I had been working on and found a massive improvement when running it...so I now run only TANE!
I am discovering new things each time I use TANE, I even prefer the content manager now, which I disliked at first.
There are no lags like in TS12 when surveyor kept checking database, no long winded asset checking, and a superbly fast database rebuild tool that does its job in a very short time, not the 20 minutes that TS12 took :)

Take time to adjust the settings according to your machine and you should be satisfied with TANE if your computer has the spec to run it.
What is your system spec's?

The first release of TANE was a shocker, but with every upgrade we have seen substantial improvements. After upgrading to TANE I continued to work in TS12 with a view to upgrading my routes to TANE once the promised improvements were incorporated into the latter. I now work exclusively in TANE and have deleted TS12. With SP2 release just around the corner, TANE will only get better.
Regards
Bob

When one goes into TS12 to port a route over to TANE, one realizes only one word describes TS12, awful.

Dread every time I have to switch out trees to bring a route into TANE.

Harold

I have a reasonably decent system that has several versions of Trainz installed. I thought I was very happy with TS12 but the more I work with TANE the more I like it. I find the performance of TANE on my system to be way better than TS12. I am now in the process of bringing much of my TS12 and TS10 content into TANE. I do not want to look back.

Paul :)

I have a reasonably decent system that has several versions of Trainz installed. I thought I was very happy with TS12 but the more I work with TANE the more I like it. I find the performance of TANE on my system to be way better than TS12. I am now in the process of bringing much of my TS12 and TS10 content into TANE. I do not want to look back.

Paul :)
same here. I worked in TANE and now TS12 is more laggy than TANE was

Harold --

My sediments entirely.

TS12 is flat and lifeless compared to T:ANE. But you do need the grunt to get the best from it, in particular the shadows.

Phil

T:ANE runs pretty well on a low-end PC, if you run it offline, which may or may not be an option. Although my i5-3570K CPU is enough, I'm only running 8Gb and a well-below-spec video card (just upgraded from a GTX 550Ti to a 560. Ooooh!). Even with the old card, I could typically get 30fps in scenery-dense suburban areas with an 8-12km draw distance. You're lucky if you can get 3-4km in TS12, and 5 is the limit. That says a lot about the improvements and, at least for me, the low draw distance, coupled with the somewhat dim lighting, puts T:ANE well ahead of TS12 for the most part.

I still use TS2010 for building routes, but if more of the bugs in T:ANE's Surveyor get ironed out, I'd consider working in it instead.

TANE is the way to go... I don't have TS12 installed anymore.
It is actually amazing to see how it has progressed over the versions and how much more stable it is now.

Cheers
David

I bought T:ANE back in September, but I rarely played it and stuck to TS12. I decided to give T:ANE another shot after upgrading my GPU about a month ago and I was hooked instantly. T:ANE is well worth the upgrade and I plan on uninstalling TS12 after I finish getting my content imported.

Matt

It shows on his timeline the previous versions before TS12, so as things have greatly improved, and progress happens, might as well continue your forward path. Besides, you will like the stability and enjoy the extra details it has.

ASUS Z97-A 3.1
Intel 4790K
EVGA GTX 980
Corsair Dominator 32GB RAM
Soundblaster Z
Samsung 850 Pro SSDs (1TB X 2)
Antec 1200 case
Cooler Master Gold 1200w PSU

Last edited:
I was on the fence about trying TANE again (last two attempts didn't go well for me) but after reading this thread I think I will when I get my new computer.

There's no doubt that TANE can run a bit slow on low end PCs/laptops. There are some initiatives in the TrainzDev test builds that will help by streaming route data and, hopefully, improve route load times. But we are not there yet and I cannot say when, or even if, those improvements will be available.

You can improve performance by turning off shadows completely. This, of course, is not desirable but it means you can run TANE until the newer streaming technology becomes available.

If you want to read the technical details then see this Trainz WiKi page.

What is your system spec's?
Here are my upgrades...
Processor :- Intel Core i5 6600k Unlocked (whatever that means)
Motherboard:- Gigabyte H170-HD3 DDR3 (socket LGA1151)
Processor cooler:- Coolermaster Hyper 212X
These were not my choice but were a surprise 66th birthday present from my sons, niiiice :)

Here are the other components that were already installed.
PSU:- EVGA NEX 750G 80 plus gold.
Graphics cards :- MSI Radeon 290 Gamer 4Gb
EVGA G Force GTX750Ti
Memory 8Gb of Corsair 1600 DDR3
1Tb Hard drive.

My next upgrade will be to take the memory up to 16Gb

Note, I have shadows turned off and fog set to zero.

Last edited:
Tane is great. The first time I tried it and the mountains didn't just pop up out of nowhere I was hooked. The content is catching up now it is just getting better and better.

Back