Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

Thank you for Color Adjustment on Assets-Great Info

:cool: Thanks Railhead001 for the info on the Paint Shading,

I have to try that out, excellent instructions and easy to follow, I agree with Shade control as far as bunch of the same cars locked together.

;) I have the Vegetation Train from JR, I really like it.

Keep up the great work, Pictures you provide really do help me visualize as I am Visual over Text 2 to 1, I know it sounds funny, but if I can see the object I can understand it so much better, than reading the Text on it.

:wave: Have a blessed weekend and thanks for your educational effort, it is very valuable to many of us Trainzers here.

Update: Request info on original Amtrak Ballast Car? Can you tell me where to find this Amtrak Ballast Car, I looked on DSL but didn't see one for Amtrak Road?

Last edited:
BNSF Ballast car reskin....wanted to get a more brown effect then the original red..........

Below: Original...

Below: Reskin...

Below: Side by side comparison....

I certainly like the more natural non-enhanced view a lot better than the lurid enhanced view, but I still can't see a difference between the two railcars. Don't worry, I'm sure it's just me and my ancient imperfect eyeballs.

A short video of a BNSF ballast train being pulled by a SW1500 starting from the Northern Energy Substation and completing the figure 8 at the abandoned Amtrak station......

You will see several of the additions mentioned in this thread as it completes the perimeter of the layout. Enjoy !!!

Last edited:
Today at work I was looking out of our dock area and saw a container trailer being pulled by this cool purple cab and thought....hmmmmm

Pretty close to the same shade I saw..........

Amtrak Alert !!!!!!.........No promises on a release date but since I am nearing completion of the Brazemore Yard layout modification I am considering creating a separate passenger friendly version for Amtrak fans.....So the BNSF engine facility will be replaced by Amtrak signage and certain industries will be replaced such as maybe I would remove the Northern Energy substation and replace it with a passenger platform. Or removing a grain elevator and replacing it with another station or Amtrak facility.....and redoing the back industrial area where the AA Cold Storage building and its neighbors are with more modern city buildings giving the impression the rail line is just on the outskirts of it.....tossing several ideas around mainly because I have recently expanded my Amtrak fleet to the point it needs its own space and not to mention my fondness for those pumpkin Mow cars I am amassing as well.............nothing to major just really tweaking the layout for more passenger ops...:cool:

Would anybody be interested in a passenger themed Brazemore Yard layout with mow equipment ? (Of course you would still have some light freight businesses as well)

Evening Sir,

Like the purple truck and your Video of work train movement. As for the Amtrak and changes to the layout, I'm partial to most Passenger Trains.

Change the furniture in the house is a good thing. Save this Layout as it is now.

Clone a copy an have at it. That way if something goes wrong, or your just not happy with the changes you have a backup copy of the original.........

Blue,

Believe me, the Amtrak version would not replace what you see now. As you mentioned, I would clone the layout and redo it for passenger orientation but I would definitely keep the original modified version for freight operations.....change the window dressing and see how it comes out.

Amtrak update:

Just wanted to let you all know that progress on the Brazemore Yard Amtrak edition is moving ahead at a very quick pace..........I have finished the city side of the MRR and just need to add a few finishing details to bring it to life. Also in going with the Amtrak theme I decided for you freight lovers out there that this will be loosely taking place in the North East (Philadelphia PA or Northern NJ). And as that being it will be a great place to have Conrail or CSX operating.

I decided to leave the industries for Northern Energy, Grain Corp, the Produce/Fruit Warehouse and Coldwater steel in place on the back side of the layout so you have decent freight movement if you so desire along with the building supply industry and distribution center across from it with the Northern Energy Substation. I might update that Produce/Fruit warehouse in the future if I can figure what best to modify it to since its such an odd sized building to deal with.

One Amtrack station has been added for the main city itself bringing the total now to 4. I also think a push/pull service can be run from the city to the backside industry (Grain corp./76 Lumber area) if desired maybe using Septa or NJT for the locals.....

I did remove both grain elevators............the Purina Mid America one was in the way of city expansion and the Western States elevator was replaced with an Amtrack facility (still searching for better buildings) that has a storage tank and offices next to the loading ramp...also a good area to store a Mow train if so desired.

The BNSF loco service area has been updated with Amtrak signage. Looking for a static loco model to replace the damaged Santa Fe/BNSF GP38 one on ties, preferably one in an Amtrak or CSX livery.

One of the most time consuming things I am currently working on is one of my biggest pet peeves with Trainz/TMR2017...those butt ugly bush splines with pointed edges that look like something from a sim made in the 80's. Since I can't delete them because the original route is considered "Payware" (another pet peeve) I have to individually alter them by "planting" a more realistic version over top of the original and then adjusting the size to fit better....not hard but extremely time consuming if your familiar with the original Brazemore Yard layout you can understand where I'm coming from.

All in all I have been pleasantly surprised how fast I managed to put the city in place....a word to the wise for anyone attempting to build over a layout...SAVE often, I would have had the city done even faster if I had kept saving more often. I like to run test trainz throughout the modifying process to see if things "fit" correctly and forgot to save my place before running one of those test trainz and deleting the session afterwards.....surprise...city go bye bye....luckily it was just in the initial planning stages, seeing how things would look rather then the actual finished concept.

This brings point number 2 up. Whether you doing a BRAND new route or layout bashing, it is a very good idea to write down your ideas on how and where you want things to go...you may think you can remember but trust me you get so involved that new ideas starting popping in your mind you soon forget the original one you had to begin with. I think that's why this version went a little faster since I had drawn different areas for placing the city on the layout before settling on the final location. Visualizing can never be over rated. When I have some free time I may post some more teasers..............stay tuned.......

Last edited:
And finally let's add some details to complete this area....
cdfdadc8bfa6ecb64786ed4cbc92cd87.png

Above pix: Added people, rail ties and screws, forklift, No Trespassing sign etc.....and added some ties in the dump truck

Last edited:
Back