Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

Man!!! Isn't that the crap! :( So sorry to hear! Hope the headache subsides; and as Blue says "stay strong and determined there" man!

Sorry to hear about your hard drive. That is never good when it happens.

I had one go out last year. I lost about 6 months of TANE work. I had backed up everything else real good, but not TANE.

I am curious what brand and type of drive failed on you. In the past I have had several Seagate drives fail, and have had lots of other brands that are still working with no problems. The worst drive I had in the past was on my Commodore PET computer with 8k ram and a cassette hard drive https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_PET. It kept getting drop outs in the tapes and could not reload the programs I wrote. (Cassette Tapes ... LOL)

Hopefully this breakdown will end up well for you and you get back on track. Hope to see updating again soon.

ALL IS WELL NOW !!!! After being able to locate my Trainz files on my old hard drive and after transferring and reinstalling the 95,817 files onto the new drive, (4 or so plus hours to do so) and after redirecting a .txt file from my old "c:" drive to my new "e" drive I have managed to get TMR17 back to where it was !!!! As for the type of hard drive that went "bad", I am sorry but do not know the brand because it was the original one in my Ibuypower pc.....although I might be able to find out, I currently have it in an external USB case for the transferring of files to the new drive.

One of the things I do to keep me from having this type of problem is to use SyncBackFree to back up my data folder every day to a USB3 thumb drive.
These are fairly cheap and fast.
SyncBackFree is very customizable to do complete backups, sync, etc. You can set what days and times you would like to run the back up.
Take a look it may suit you well.
If not no cost to you for the software.

Leo

One of the things I do to keep me from having this type of problem is to use SyncBackFree to back up my data folder every day to a USB3 thumb drive.
These are fairly cheap and fast.
SyncBackFree is very customizable to do complete backups, sync, etc. You can set what days and times you would like to run the back up.
Take a look it may suit you well.
If not no cost to you for the software.

Leo

Hi Leo,
The irony here is I have a USB external drive that I use to back up my Trainz downloads and for my route updates..never worried about the program or download directory itself since I never had this happen to me before...and now I will backup by download directory which is what I worry about losing since the actual programs are easy to reinstall.Getting the downloads would be a pain if they were lost.
Thanks for the suggestion

Finally settling back into things again...and in celebration of TMR17 being brought back from the far depths of my dying HD, I have something for you East Coasters or East Coast RR fans...I decided to .... yes.....add one more version of my Modified Brazemore Yard project ! This time in the flavor of CSX. So if you go back and check out the previous posts of the prior versions (one with a BNSF yard and another with an Amtrak Yard) you can now add CSX to it as seen below:

Swapped out the previous signage for some CSX, replaced BNSF vehicles with CSX versions including a working Hi-Rail and changed the grain silo in the center yard along with the BN sanding tower as seen in the above pix...

Last edited:
Some more pix showing details of the CSX version........

Reporter and cameraman covering the accident

A small U-Haul dealership

Added the semi and a deer crossing sign

Some traffic

Construction trailer with flashing display

A custom piece in progress...soon I will add the Fire Dept. logo

Something Different..........

Going to try to do my next vid a little different, maybe in free cam mode or surveyor of just the different scenes being shown so that everyone can get an idea of the modified layout since doing just following a train
can not convey it all.....

Thanks to Dave Snow for more U-Haul releases...added a sign for the small dealership and scrapped the dumpster business and installed a larger U-Haul dealership

Last edited:
A new project in the workzzzzz..........So I have been wanting to do a modern coal hauling themed MRR for some time now......
unfortunately with the restrictions associated with "Payware routes"'
I am not able to alter the ground which is a real bummer because I thought I could do a Brazemore Yard coal hauler really nice but so be it.
I finally came across the Pioneer & Freedom. A layout by WCRULEZ that basically is everything I wanted in a track plan.
Although not set up as a coal hauler I received his permission to "Modify" it.
Again I love his track plan and just had to make minor tweaks to it for converting it. Below is a pic of his original plan design.

Next are pics of the very beginning stages of my modifications transforming it into a coal hauler set somewhere
in the Northeast.....

And some more pics..also for some reason my screenshots are now huge...anyway to reduce them so I can put spaces between them ???

So that's a sneak peek of what I am working on.....with this layout you have 3 mines....1 large one in the center yard area, a small (6 car limit, 3 on each track) by Devil's Hill or Devil's Mountian....and then another coal unloader on the opposite side with some CAT front end loaders. I also included an abandoned rusty mine that the trains pass under ....once coal is received it will be taken to an electic generating plant whether that will part of another industry or stand alone needs to be worked out. I will say running 3 SD80s and a 30-40 unit hopper train looks great as it snakes its way around the layout.

The engine facility is also being worked on as you can see I have a small engine house and car repair facility plus a small loco servicing area for the mine. I need to come up some additional industries...maybe something for lumber....or just general warehousing....

The storage tank area is pretty much done...will probably be a supporting mine industry.....the yard is perfect for hoppers and a small section towards the edge for tankers. Threw in a ramp for heavy equipment off loading as well. I think this will turn out pretty good... And a big thanks again to WCRULEZ for the great layout design and allowing me to modify it.

Back