Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

Some detail updates................hope this is "dirty"

Added weeds, berms of dirt, dirt roads, a fence with open gates...etc etc....

:udrool: Oh Baby, does that look great, and the mine you have now I really like the style, If I may? What is the Asset Name for Ole Betsy?

That Rock Texture looks terrific too, goes hand in hand with Ole Betsy, everything fits right in as a Natural Site..........:cool:

:udrool: Oh Baby, does that look great, and the mine you have now I really like the style, If I may? What is the Asset Name for Ole Betsy?

That Rock Texture looks terrific too, goes hand in hand with Ole Betsy, everything fits right in as a Natural Site..........:cool:

Hey Blue,

Ol Betsy is made of 3 pieces:

<kuid2:439337:100973:2> Mill_Creek_Coal_Mod1
<kuid2:439337:101060:3> Mill_Creek_Shaft_Head_Mod2
<kuid2:64038:28039:1> TPR GenericTipple Built in TMR17
<kuid:53695:21002> Kolen (DLS)

I use the TPR Generic tipple to connect the 2 Mill Creek buildings between the mountain....

The texture was an accident on the mountain itself, I was using one called "Kolen" to cover the ground by the coal piles the color of the coal but accidently passed the mountain with it and used it for that side of it, one coat, if you go over several times then you get the black coal appearance as is on the ground and also it could be used for shadows.

More mining fun....I happened to be looking through my surveyor assets and came across an animated coal conveyor belt that I thought would look great for the coal unloader........pictures can only show so much so I posted a quick video of the conveyor in action:

And the video

If you go to my Youtube page and resize the window to maxium you will actually see the belt better with the coal moving:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEcOYTpF6yg

Last edited:
So I decided to update the construction scene on the Modified Pioneer & Freedom with an animated excavator, some flashing lights on vehicles and also added a sound FX....some pix and a short vid showing the update:

Last edited:
Hello old Friend, looks like Animation to the MAX going on here, all good and great additions. :Y:

I'm thinking with all this Construction going on, the Route should be in Tip Top shape and no lame Pot Holes lying around in the Roadway to mess up our Cars..........:wave:

It is not often that I am surprised by something that happens in a game/sim. Tonight was different. I intended to post a short vid of an animated Bobcat tractor operating next to the Ol' Betsy Mine on my Modified Pioneer & Freedom layout. So for added detailing I threw in a SW1500 with an empty 100 ton hopper....to my surprise as the hopper moved under the mine, one of the coal chutes dropped down and filled the hopper with coal. I had no idea this was an operating industry until now..
So not only do we have an animated Bobcat but a fully functioning mine as well. What a nice surprise.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqkvQoVuQkbE4bpHwNZsww

It is not often that I am surprised by something that happens in a game/sim. Tonight was different. I intended to post a short vid of an animated Bobcat tractor operating next to the Ol' Betsy Mine on my Modified Pioneer & Freedom layout. So for added detailing I threw in a SW1500 with an empty 100 ton hopper....to my surprise as the hopper moved under the mine, one of the coal chutes dropped down and filled the hopper with coal. I had no idea this was an operating industry until now..
So not only do we have an animated Bobcat but a fully functioning mine as well. What a nice surprise.

Surprise indeed.

I have found out more than once, what I thought was working, did not, so these surprises I would say are on the Rare Side!

Looks fantastic in the way it operates, I like the built in Delay, making it operate more realistic, and it allows better clearance for the operating Loco as well,

I have come across lots of Mines and other loading objects that wouldn't allow me to use certain Assets, nice to see this one doesn't have that issue.

It is with great pleasure and a big thanks to WCRULEZ for allowing me to modify his wonderful Pioneer & Freedom Layout and add it to the DLS. Should be showing shortly........

I have put a great deal of effort into this one and I think you will be pleased. I added a simple block signal operating system for 2 AI trains (I use junction hold and release commands during sessions) to allow them to run by themselves. Seems to work. Animated features include an operating coal conveyor belt, a Bobcat and Excavator along with ATLS crossing signals.

Now there are 3 mines, 2 are industry ready ( Mill Creek mine aka: Ol Betsy and the JR Coal unloader). The third mine which is in the main yard I had issues with installing an industry service track, any attempt resulted in the tracks to the left being moved out of place regardless of how I tried to overcome it.....but you can always use the quick load command....

I added highway street lights more for daytime detail then night ....we all know night lights can be ugly.

All the assets should be found either on the DLS or freeware by JointedRail and RRMods...... I had a hard drive crash and lost websites for other assets so if some kind souls could help others out it would be appreciated. No custom content should be on the layout.....hopefully...

The rear yard is for a staging area or someone could finish it up as another side possibly with a power plant that uses the coal from the mines. I also included a backdrop there.

I used CSX signage and like to think this is a division located in the rural Northeast...but you can change it to fit your needs....Enjoy and hopefully I will be releasing more versions.....

Now since this has a lot of Speedtrees and animated features, you will need a decent machine to run it...my specs are i7@7700, 16GB Ram, GTX-1060 (6GB)... With this I get decent frame rates with mostly everything high/maxed and low shadows and Anti aliasing at 4x....

Pioneer Freedom Modified Final <KUID:793180:100215> On DLS in under 24 hours

Enjoy !!!

Last edited:
And finally...Brazemore Yard Modified Amtrak version is now awaiting to be processed and will be on the DLS shortly........ Enjoy !!!!

Includes a small city, 4 passenger stations, a engine service facility and maintenance facility...all aboard !!!

Assets mostly from DLS and:

Freeware at JointedRail: http://jointedrail.com/

Freeware at RRMods: http://www.rrmods.us/

Freeware at American Trainz: http://americantrainz.com/

I encourage others to help post kuid sites for missing assets, as some know I had a harddrive issue and lost my Trainz bookmarks....

Enjoy !!!

Update: Approved: BraZemore Yard Amtrak <KUID:793180:100092> On DLS in under 24 hours

Last edited:
Hey WCRULEZ,

You saw how I found a "Pioneer" gas station well this one was completely by accident......look closely, just noticed it myself.......

Another "Pioneer".....

Nice! When I was thinking for a name for the layout, I combined the Pioneer Valley(it was on the original engine shops), and the name on one of the stations lol. Creative, I know. This layout is awesome looking! Haven't had a chance do fully download it, but is being installed in parts! Can't wait! Nice work!

It's been a little while, I have been busy detailing the modified Pioneer & Freedom adding people here and there:

First 2 pix show a work detail with a Fairmont Speeder moving some ties. Next we have some security guards along with a Doberman at the yard tower. And some workers hanging around a maintenance vehicle

Next batch:

Above: Track workers busy on the job

\
Above: Added some freight pallets.....

Above: Placed a cyclist enjoying the view from the bridge....

Last edited:
Railhead001,
I have enjoyed/ am enjoying reading through this thread to garner some of your ideas & methods for bringing a layout to life scene by scene. The small "real life" vignettes certainly go a long way to add to the immersion. I only hope I can emulate some of them in my layouts.
Only criticism I have is that you didn't split these into separate threads to make it easier to keep continuity.

Thanks for doing this for everyone.
Cheers.

Railhead001,
I have enjoyed/ am enjoying reading through this thread to garner some of your ideas & methods for bringing a layout to life scene by scene. The small "real life" vignettes certainly go a long way to add to the immersion. I only hope I can emulate some of them in my layouts.
Only criticism I have is that you didn't split these into separate threads to make it easier to keep continuity.

Thanks for doing this for everyone.
Cheers.

Well, how about a compromise, when I start my next modified version of the Pioneer & Freedom, I will start a new thread soley dedicated to that version :cool:

I was hoping you'd start makin' your own layout -by now- with all this "practice" behind you :eek: All "stops out" no bounds... what'a layout that'll make! :udrool: Hey, don't let me "keep you" from doing what do... if layout-bashing "floats your boat" stay on track; you'd know we'd still regularly be checking-in to see what wonders you've bestowed upon your current projects :)

Seen your "new" thread and your improvements to, of the "Slightly" Modified "Santa Fe Needles Sub". Simply incredible work... I'd think you were already in your prime!!! ;)

:wave: Railhead001,

:eek: In your Photo Msg #473, what is that motorized MOW Cart and tow Carts called, are they "Streetor's" I need to find some of them?

Thanks and keep up the good work, Needles Sub is looking great........:clap::clap:.

Update: Thanks Railhead001,

That is exactly what I wanted to get,,,,,,,and I also found some Speeder Sheds on DLS one that is Yosemite for 2 Speeder, and another that's a single Shed and you add your own choice of Track to it.

DLS has about 61 different types......Sorry about my spelling error........

Last edited:
Back