Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

A small but very positive update to my modifying the Pioneer & Freedom layout...I managed to install some Yarnish roads with a working 3 way stop light intersection along with learning how to get ATLS grade crossings installed correctly.....love the results. Below a short vid of a CSX SD40-2 pulling a small Tank Train showing the above details.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsqkvQoVuQkbE4bpHwNZsww

Last edited:
Below is an updated section where there used to be a branching siding that stretched across the road. I decided to eliminate it to make a cleaner curve exiting the overpass so that your attention is focused on it more:

And as seen in the previous video, I am quite impressed with both the Yarnish traffic lights that blink at the 3 way stop and the ATLS controlled RR Crossing. Adds a little more flavor to the layout.

Above: My key focus now is to work on this cement industry I installed for the opposite side of the layout.

Last edited:
Key Focus part Dos....as mentioned previously I am busy at the cement plant/ cement prefab manufacturer. Below are some updated pix of down and dirty action:

I like having the sand/mud and dirt for the lots on this facility...looks worn in and a lot of use.

Turning an abandoned building into a working business: So I needed a small freight loading/unloading facility to fit next to the concrete prefab plant. I came across the JR Freight house on JointedRail's website but as you can see below it is abandoned...missing doors and bay doors etc....what to do what o do....

I took that and the JR Loading dock door plus the Build a facility single door and concrete steps by Dave Snow and below is the finished model with a forklift and some parked trailers and cars for details. Since I was only using the rail side I did not worry about filling in the other side, as you see that is facing the backdrop... Simple and effective...

Last edited:
Evening sir, got PM, I'm down in Mexico for a family event.

I see lots of interesting stuff going on, looks really good.

Got to find me some more Cement trucks for my cement plant after looking at how you improved your setup...

So I needed another industry to fit in a small space on the same side as the Coal Unloader. I wanted it to be rural but something you might see realistically on a modern railroad, such as a coal hauler going through the countryside.
The JointedRail JR Hatchetman Feed Supply fit the bill perfectly, almost. The only problem was I had to flip its side to get it to fit properly. Unfortunately the side that got flipped did not have a door. No worries. Again I turned to Dave Snow's Build a Facility series. Grabbed a single door and an overhead door as seen below:

Next I retextured the area with a dirt color and added some tire tracks. Put in some John Deere Tractors and some details like a Coke machine also from jointedrail.com along with the sign for the supply co.

Still need some more details after adding the forklift and cars....almost done and I like how it fits in nicely.

Found some pallets of goods stack and added a small fence. For the other side added a row of empty pallets:

Last edited:
Just wrapped up finishing the buildings for the Coal Unloader side of the layout and made a few minor changes...plus since this is the modified version of the "Pioneer & Freedom" it is only fitting to include the Pioneer gas station and
convenience store:

I love when a plan comes together....

Another tip:

DLS:

Airport Ramp Surface 50 x 50
Airport Ramp Surface 30 x 100
Airport Ramp Surface 50 x 100

To put buildings on solid ground.

Splines, so you can make them bigger or smaller, bend them and adjust heights.

There are others, like "concrete slab", but I use this airport surfaces most of the time for placing factories, buildings, houses or complete city blocks.
The textures are pretty cool too.
Placing grass, trees, stripes, texts or just make a pile with adjusting the height of the surface underneath, is no problem.

:)

Last edited:
Another tip:

DLS:

Airport Ramp Surface 50 x 50
Airport Ramp Surface 30 x 100
Airport Ramp Surface 50 x 100

To put buildings on solid ground.

Splines, so you can make them bigger or smaller, bend them and adjust heights.

There are others, like "concrete slab", but I use this airport surfaces most of the time for placing factories, buildings, houses or complete city blocks.
The textures are pretty cool too.
Placing grass, trees, stripes, texts or just make a pile with adjusting the height of the surface underneath, is no problem.

:)

The convenience store has its own base.....and sits above the lot although you may not be able to tell from the picture and thanks for the tip. They will definitely come in handy.

I'd suggest putting a tree backdrop in the town area where it just has open sky, I think that the "d fon" series of backdrops are built in and they look nice.

I'd suggest putting a tree backdrop in the town area where it just has open sky, I think that the "d fon" series of backdrops are built in and they look nice.

The issue on a backdrop with a scene is that it is a double edged sword...on the one hand it fills in some details but on the other hand it takes away from the "openness" of the scene making it seem smaller in scale forcing your eyes to focus in on it. I tend to go with plain backdrops and add either trees or "cut out style buildings. In this case with the section so small in size I will probably leave it as is or put some trees in the background which can also be used on the reverse side making it easier.

Industry run down: So I think I am finished adding any additional industries. The balance seems really good with a lot to offer currently:

3 Coal Mines (1 main and 2 smaller unloader styled)
1 Heavy equipment ramp to offload CATs etc for the mining...
1 Set of storage tanks for fuel/oil to service the main mine or be a stand alone business by itself
1 Freight warehouse for inbound/outbound loads
1 Generic Loading rack ....looks good but need to figure out a use, lol
1 Cement/Prefab factory
1 Feed/Supply industry

Theme: North East modern era coal hauling through rural America (1980's on up for those who prefer smaller GP locos)

Next phase: Adding some more detailing and getting a functional signal system installed for block operations

Last edited:
Just wrapped up finishing the buildings for the Coal Unloader side of the layout and made a few minor changes...plus since this is the modified version of the "Pioneer & Freedom" it is only fitting to include the Pioneer gas station and
convenience store:

I love when a plan comes together....
I have to agree with MeowRR. As great as the scene is, the eye is helplessly drawn to that blank sky-blue "walled" background; and a strong feeling "something is missing"! :eek: I was thinking maybe a long (not so tall), corrugated metal fence spanning from one end of the scene, to the other... but then there is that road :confused: Perhaps a forced underpass?

2D background of trees might look pasted to the "wall"; and -unless you clump a whole bunch of 3D trees together- the eye will still see that sky-blue wall between each. There's a great Kalmbach book on the subject called "Backdrops" [I never thought I'd like so much] https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/12425

I guess this is my compromise....yes it is sky and it does make the area appear larger, a backdrop here will decrease the depth of field......I know this from experience in MRR.....if the area of track were wider then I would agree a backdrop with trees or such would be appropriate. Also realize when the train goes by your eyes will automatically be drawn to the movement and you are more likely to focus on that then the sky....

I guess this is my compromise....yes it is sky and it does make the area appear larger, a backdrop here will decrease the depth of field......I know this from experience in MRR.....if the area of track were wider then I would agree a backdrop with trees or such would be appropriate. Also realize when the train goes by your eyes will automatically be drawn to the movement and you are more likely to focus on that then the sky....
Ahhh! You clumped the trees together! :D I didn't stress the "clumping" as I had thought you'd not like that; but you know what... it does the trick I think! The book I had suggested does not only deal with backdrops, but other suggestions for tight areas :)

Ahhh! You clumped the trees together! :D I didn't stress the "clumping" as I had thought you'd not like that; but you know what... it does the trick I think! The book I had suggested does not only deal with backdrops, but other suggestions for tight areas :)

I'm definitely a clumper ! :)

Back