California Zephyr cars don't work?

I got some of Landvr1's old content but I can't get the California Zephyr cars to work as they have missing textures.

Weirdly though, SanJuanTrainz recently released a video of ATSF 2929 and the back of the train were two California Zephyr cars and it said on the video it was recorded in TS12 SP1 Build 61388, which is the same build I have, but for some reason I can't get them to work.

Does anyone know how to get them to work in TS12 SP1 like SanJuanTrainz did?

Post the errors.

Why like keeping this stuff a big secret?

Ok, sorry, they all have 3 of the same errors, here's an example:

Error: The Tag 'origtype' is not permitted within a container of type 'traincar'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.tga' for texture file 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'.
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'.

And both the dome interior and silver horizon interiors that are required for them have all of these errors:

Error: Unable to load primary texture 'peoplerow.tga' for texture file 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load alpha texture 'peoplerow.bmp' for texture file 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'red-light.tga' for texture file 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load alpha texture 'light.bmp' for texture file 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'red-light-light.texture.txt'
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'redlight-reflection.tga' for texture file 'redlight-reflection.texture.txt'.
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'redlight-reflection.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'tansuede.tga' for texture file 'tansuede.texture.txt'.
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'tansuede.texture.txt'.
Error: Missing or invalid selection for tag 'att' in 'interior_main'.

Last edited:

Error: The Tag 'origtype' is not permitted within a container of type 'traincar'. ====== Remove that tag from the config.txt

Error: Unable to load primary texture 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.tga' for texture file 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'. ===== ensure the texture actually exists. If it is there, there are bunch of things to try:

1) Open the asset in Explorer and see if the texture actually exists.
2) If the texture exists. Open in Paint.net or something similar and resave with RLE compression unchecked.
3) Open up the related texture.txt file and ensure the texture name is spelled correctly. I ran into this recently.
4) Run PM2IM (need to run as administrator) on that asset mesh.

Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'. ===== Related to above as it occurs twice in the mesh.

And the dome interior has all of these errors:

Error: Unable to load primary texture 'peoplerow.tga' for texture file 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load alpha texture 'peoplerow.bmp' for texture file 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'peoplerow-peoplerow.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'red-light.tga' for texture file 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load alpha texture 'light.bmp' for texture file 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: The primary and alpha texture are not the same size for 'red-light-light.texture.txt'
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'red-light-light.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'redlight-reflection.tga' for texture file 'redlight-reflection.texture.txt'.
Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'redlight-reflection.texture.txt'.
Error: Unable to load primary texture 'tansuede.tga' for texture file 'tansuede.texture.txt'.

For the above:

1) Same procedure as above. Make sure the textures actually exist, things are spelled correctly, etc.

The textures are repeated because they are used in multiple places so if you fix one, this will fix all.

Error: Missing or invalid selection for tag 'att' in 'interior_main'. ====== Remove this from the config.txt

Here's the strange one about things like this.

Those messages can also indicate that the asset creator has called up unsupported texture types in the mesh. So the textures may exist in the asset but the mesh calls throw the errors.

Only four texture types are supported in trainz where GMax for example supports 11 if I recall correctly.
The supported types are:
Diffuse
Opacity
Bump
Reflect

These are used in various combinations to give us the range of trainz materials.

There are still assets on the DLS that have these errors though they are slowly being weeded out. I am sorting out one such example right now.

My PM2IM tool can fix such errors when used in combination with AssetX. You need to be able to view the mesh as a text file to see if unsupported textures are used. AssetX will do that for you.

Error: The Tag 'origtype' is not permitted within a container of type 'traincar'. ====== Remove that tag from the config.txt

Error: Unable to load primary texture 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.tga' for texture file 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'. ===== ensure the texture actually exists. If it is there, there are bunch of things to try:

1) Open the asset in Explorer and see if the texture actually exists.
2) If the texture exists. Open in Paint.net or something similar and resave with RLE compression unchecked.
3) Open up the related texture.txt file and ensure the texture name is spelled correctly. I ran into this recently.
4) Run PM2IM (need to run as administrator) on that asset mesh.

Error: Binary conversion failed for texture resource 'amtrak california zephyr - 375_body/elevation.texture.txt'. ===== Related to above as it occurs twice in the mesh.

And the dome interior has all of these errors:

For the above:

1) Same procedure as above. Make sure the textures actually exist, things are spelled correctly, etc.

The textures are repeated because they are used in multiple places so if you fix one, this will fix all.

Error: Missing or invalid selection for tag 'att' in 'interior_main'. ====== Remove this from the config.txt

Thanks, the textures don't exist on some of the passenger cars themselves so i just deleted the .txt files and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Just one more question, where do i find PM2IM?

PM2IM currently lives on my tutorial site - you can either use the link in PEV's signature or you can use the PEVSoft tools link in mine.

Shane

I have the cars, but I'm trying to fix the faulty dome interior. I know the tga is missing, so I'm trying to fix that or maybe even remove the txt files. Been working On trying to fix them for a few hours.

I have the cars, but I'm trying to fix the faulty dome interior. I know the tga is missing, so I'm trying to fix that or maybe even remove the txt files. Been working On trying to fix them for a few hours.

In content manager:

Open the asset for editing in Explorer.

Look for the texture.txt file.

Look for a similar texture name - i.e. dome.tga to go with dome.texture.txt.

There's two possibilities:

1) The texture its self is correct, but is spelled incorrectly within the texture.txt file. (I've run into this one).
2) There is no such texture.

For scenario 1, edit the texture.txt file in Note pad or a text editor and match the text within the file to that of the actual tga file.

For scenario 2, delete the .texture.txt file.

After all is done, close any open folders.

Right-click on the asset again in Content Manager, and choose Submit.

Cross fingers and hope this solves the problem.

I fixed the 3 faulty dome cars, I just need to fix the faulty dome observation with the interior

I would check that using the same method. A lot of times the error messages repeat or appear different, but are all the same if you read them carefully. There's a lot of text there that you need to grapple with.

And I will be honest I haven't looked at those assets in probably 10 years and I don't even remember if I have them installed anymore. They were very great and awesome in their day back in the TRS2004-TS2009 timeframe, but they're old now; really, really old.

Back