New to TRAINZ: Put down track, and next time I worked it was invisble.

seldredg

I'm new, so feel free to refer me to helpful information. I've spent some hours searching here and in documentation and in InterGooglepedia, but haven't found an answer yet.

I imported a Z-scale track plan I am building, laid track successfully after some battles and skirmishes, and put down a base texture. Everything appeared OK. I worked on it several times, and last night when I opened it, the track was no longer visible. I can see the rotating spline points on the texture, but not the track. I suspect I may have messed something up with the texture and layers, since I'm learning as I go.

Is there a way to select al lthe track and paste it elsewhere? Or erase the texture?

Hi seldredg

Often this is caused by accidently working in the session layer instead of the route layer. If you have no layer used for a specific reason i.e. trackmarks, signals,trees, etc then I would suggest merging the session layer with the route layer and see if that gets it to show up. It is the sort of thing that I have done on more than one occasion and is very easy to do as trainz opens a route in the session layer and it's very easy to start laying track without first selecting the route layer.

If this is the cause then try to get into the habit of selecting the route layer before adding track.

Regards

Brian

Or you can simply lock the session layer so that each time you load up and try to do anything it'll throw an error - a "forced" reminder to switch to Route layer.

Thanks. I assumed that whatever layer I was working was the active one until changed.

I played with this a little and haven't been able to make anything change. I'm not entirely clear what is considered the active layer--the one that is highlighted, or the one in the box below the list of layers. So the Merge Layers function is also unclear. It says "Merge with...", but I'm not sure what layer the selection would be merged into. Trial and error hasn't worked yet. And not all layers that appear for the Layers tool appear in the Merge Layers selections. I'll experiment morelater. Thank you.

Hi again

Highlight the session layer before clicking the merge button. It should then bring up a box offering you whatever layers you have in your route. Select route layer and click the tick.

Regards

Brian

No change. The only change I can make is to turn view on and off for the basemap layer. Then the texture goes away and I see the scanned track image that I imported, over which I laid track. And I still see the spline circles. Probably best at this point to start over.

Took me about a half hour to start a new layout and lay track, as opposed to hours and hours the first time.

I can't find a track stop object, online or installed. I assume they exist. Could some suggest what category and term to search on.

Last edited:
Someone has previously mentioned using "Layers" but before you use them, it's wise to get a full understanding of how they work.

I suggest having a look at the Tutorial on 'Layers' on the Trainz Channel,.... https://www.twitch.tv/trainz_simulator

There are a number of additional tutorials that you may benefit from.

Cheers,
Roy

Back