Does anyone know what causes this

Roy3b3

Does anyone know what causes a track-spline to break.

This was a route I had imported from TS12 into T:ANE some time ago. I was not happy with the original track and I bulk-replaced it with 'NSW ML Concrete Stain 2.5m'.

Yesterday I did a database repair.

On opening Driver today, I noticed the track-spline had broken. In Surveyor I replaced that section of track, and saved the route and session. Opened Driver again, only to see the same broken section of track. Opening Surveyor the track is broken.
I repaired it and re-saved in a new session, but then in Driver it's broken again.

How can this be fixed. Additional 'saves' doesn't seem to fix it.
Cheers,
Roy

EDIT: I made additional changes to signals, foliage, etc and these items are intact and have been saved.

Track broken.
2016_12_20_162023.jpg

Track repaired.
2016_12_20_162046.jpg

Last edited:
On opening Driver today, I noticed the track-spline had broken. In Surveyor I replaced that section of track, and saved the route and session. Opened Driver again, only to see the same broken section of track. Opening Surveyor the track is broken.
I repaired it and re-saved in a new session, but then in Driver it's broken again.
Once your route is infected with this problem it is very hard to get rid of it. It will affect all new splines, not just track, as well as random existing splines. You can probably replace individual pieces that go missing, and eventually they will 'take', but it is random, and there is no sure-fire cure. I have had some success with exporting the route to CDP, deleting it, and importing it, but it's not guaranteed. Making other route changes before and after dealing with the splines might also help, but the problem is erratic and that makes it difficult to figure what techniques work and what have no effect.

The most interesting effect occurs when you place a loco on a piece of track that subsequently goes missing. The loco relocates with a random orientation.

I had this problem in several of my routes. The "fix" for me was to replace several track splines sections on either side of the broken sections. This seemed to solve the problem in all cases for me. Once this fix is in place it appears to stay fixed for me. I have no clue on what causes the issue.

I have seen this problem as well but on a very, very old route I imported into T:ANE via TS12. Routes I have worked on in T:ANE from the beginning, or were TS12 routes that were imported and not converts never have this problem.

If this is an ongoing problem, I would raise a bug report and send it off to the helpdesk.

I have had the problem in two of my routes. Both were started in TS12 several years ago and then imported into TANE. It's very strange. Both routes had about 60 baseboards with lots of double track. The "break" only occurred in several places so it was not wide spread over the whole route. In all cases the break occurred in curved sections of the roadbed.

in my case the fix was easy once I identified the problem and found the location in the route.

When I make a change involving a physical(Non-moving) asset such as track, textures, whatever, I do it under Routes, Surveyor. I know it shouldn't matter but it can. It's been discussed before. I only save my actual trains in Surveyor, Session.
Dean

Thanks guys for all your tips. I've never had this problem whenever I build in T:ANE, but it seems to only happen when old Trainz routes are imported into T:ANE. I know the track on this particular route has been 'bulk asset replaced' several times before and maybe that may have contributed.

However, I now seem to have fixed the issue (fingers crossed) but it appears to have been a combination of a couple of things.

I first deleted the Default Session which seems to pop up when you don't really need it. (Whether this had anything to do with it, I don't know)

I then replaced several long sections of track either side of the problem area, then checked that the track spline points were set at identical heights. It's possible that track was not snapping together when it should have.

I saved the changes, overwriting the route and the named session.

I shut Trainz down completely, then re-opened the Session and found it was finally intact. Tested it out in Driver mode - still okay.
(Fingers are still crossed - maybe that's the secret).

When these things happen, it's always frustrating, but it's worth it to track down and solve the problem. Fortunately, I haven't thrown my desktop out the window yet.

Cheers and thanks again guys. I appreciate it.

Roy

Back