Beware! Possible Ransomware

robd

I received an email to one of my older, little used Email accounts purportedly from Gary Price (LMS_MAN). The email stated 'greetings' and a link to whatever, I don't know, perhaps ransomware which is on the rise these days. Obviously I didn't open the link! I put the email in my spam folder.

The only Gary Price (LMS_MAN) I know of is a Trainz payware seller and I have bought some of his creations in the past and received some of them via the email address that the above mentioned message was sent to.

It aroused my suspicion as it seems so out of character for Gary Price so I decided to post this thread as a warning to others.

If it was a genuine email from Gary Price then maybe Gary will confirm it so on here. I believe he doesn't get to look at the forum a lot these days.

Rob.

Last edited:
I received an email to one of my older, little used Email accounts purportedly from Gary Price (LMS_MAN). The email stated 'greetings' and a link to whatever, I don't know, perhaps ransomware which is on the rise these days. Obviously I didn't open the link! I put the email in my spam folder.

The only Gary Price (LMS_MAN) I know of is a Trainz payware seller and I have bought some of his creations in the past and received some of them via the email address that the above mentioned message was sent to.

It aroused my suspicion as it seems so out of character for Gary Price so I decided to post this thread as a warning to others.

If it was a genuine email from Gary Price then maybe Gary will confirm it so on here. I believe he doesn't get to look at the forum a lot these days.

Rob.

Just be aware that with Internet email the display name does not have to match the email address. Translation with the right software most often found in the UNIX world you can change the name to anything.

Cheerio John

Rob.

Absolutely a good idea.... Folks dont always realize l think u did the right thing.

I very rarely open any EMail links, even from people I do know, as they all turn out to be a re-direct link to some bogus weight loss scam, or another mass EMailing scam, with dozens of recipients listed amongst my EMail address. Almost all of my EMail never even gets clicked on.

I am reading some of this stuff at https://myshadow.org/ which was originally posted on the Official Firefox start page. They recommend that even Yahoo EMail should be avoided totally, as they sell your EMail address to others.

Usually a ransomware notice can be exited by not clicking on anything on the page, not even the RED X ... instead go immediately to Ctrl Alt Del and open up Task Manager, and kill the page ... sometimes it takes 3 or more attempts to kill it

Last edited:
Thank you for the well said, warning, Rob.

As a rule I never download links automatically and always check sources of emails before opening them.

What has probably happened is someone else's contact list has been compromised and the hackers have now gotten ahold of it and are using variants of it to send out ransomware and other malware.

Yahoo got compromised yet again and I even got an e-mail from the Chief Information Security Officer apologising for the breach. Apparently they didn't know until some law enforcement agency (presumably U.S. based) presented them with some data proving they had been hacked.

Yahoo is becoming such a PITA with their security that I have deleted all my contacts within Yahoo and never use it. I doubt if I can actually erase myself from their system.

I don't know if Yahoo does sell your e-mail address. Why would anyone bother buying it if it is so easily obtained for free.

As an alternative to EMail (which is a totally Prehistoric obsolete communication device), I find that Free Skype Instant Messaging to be so much more useful. You can IM someone, send photos, files, and CDP's to them ... share screens ... make worldwide free phone calls, talk realtime to them using a microphone, or even webcam them.

Free Skype UN: cascaderailroad

I am reading some of this stuff at https://myshadow.org/ which was originally posted on the Official Firefox start page. They recommend that even Yahoo EMail should be avoided totally, as they sell your EMail address to others.

Skype is part of Microsoft, you give your info to them, they make money by selling your info, they are no better than any email provider,

EMail just seems to be so antiquated, much like the telegraph Morse code, it at one time had its uses, but is now a totally obsolete communication device, next to the Pony Express, and US Postal Snail Mail

Where else can you receive thousands of "SPAM" messages from "Scammers" around the world, that have "Hacked" your name and EMail address

Last edited:
Not so, the person you want to contact may not be at their computer when you want them, so 'instant' messaging is no quicker than a std. email.

i everybody.
I am sure the millions (if not billions) of companies all round the world whose main communication tool is by email in this day and age would love to know that the system in "obsolete".

Most secure way is to use Google Gmail and scan all attachments before opening them. Gmail used in tandem with Google OS (not Android) has never been hacked or compromised in any way up to this date as far as I am aware.

Bill

Last edited:
Yahoo got compromised yet again and I even got an e-mail from the Chief Information Security Officer apologising for the breach. Apparently they didn't know until some law enforcement agency (presumably U.S. based) presented them with some data proving they had been hacked.

Yahoo is becoming such a PITA with their security that I have deleted all my contacts within Yahoo and never use it. I doubt if I can actually erase myself from their system.

I don't know if Yahoo does sell your e-mail address. Why would anyone bother buying it if it is so easily obtained for free.
I deleted my Yahoo account (after sending everything I had in my inboxes) since they are having such an issue with security and went with Gmail. Then I made my homepage to Google since Yahoo had malware containing ads on their site. I don't miss Yahoo at all.

What happens if you open an email that contains a virus or ransomware on your mobile phone.

Ken

Or just visit an infected web page. Interesting question. In the windows environment Microsoft drop security updates so stay with windows 10 and you're pretty safe. Android, well the latest version is seven and it contains lots of security updates. However even if you purchased a Google device such as Nexus 7 you may be limited to Android 5 or 6 which are not as secure. Many phones are never updated and typically run version 4 but here are plenty of version 2 phones. The updates are not available. In the Apple environment I understand some machines can be updated and some are stuck on an older version of the operating system.

I think you just have to live with the risks. I'd be reluctant to use a phone for purchases or to access my bank account.

Cheerio John

I dumped Yahoo years ago and was on the Original gmail beta. Never had any issues with it, also have an AOL account, hangover from an ISP that used it a long time ago, don't even get Spam on that one which is a surprise, however it's only used as a backup for Gmail to contact me if anything odd is occurring, which did happen once a few years ago when someone with a South American IP address was trying to access my gmail account, Gmail locked it as it was not my normal location and contacted me through the AOL email. Both are accessed through Thunderbird which is also very good at weeding out the junk.

i everybody.
I am sure the millions (if not billions) of companies all round the world whose main communication tool is by email in this day and age would love to know that the system in "obsolete".

Most secure way is to use Google Gmail and scan all attachments before opening them. Gmail used in tandem with Google OS (not Android) has never been hacked or compromised in any way up to this date as far as I am aware.

Bill

I assume you mean Chrome. There are reports that it will be folded into Android in the future. Yes it is fairly secure but basically because it has a very limited attack surface. ie you can't do much with it without an active Internet connection. It certainly stands little chance of running TANE for example.

Cheerio John

My brother got the message from Yahoo and has since removed that account as well. I never had one there and though I get spam, mostly in German no less , my Outlook.com and my other email accounts are pretty clean.

With all the hacks and ransomware I've been tempted to setup PINE running on a Solaris VM. Pine is a non-GUI email system similar to the old Novel NetMail. The interface is barebones, does the job, however, you load any html pages, which sadly most mail is composed of these days. Then again having everything spelled out in clear-text means I have nothing to worry about, besides there's no way any of the executables can affect anything not only because it'll be on Solaris but also because it'll be in a VM.

In theory this all sounds great but setting this up might be painful though which I'm afraid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_(email_client)

Update: There's a replacement now written for Apache called Alpine, which works similarly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpine_(email_client)

John

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Or just visit an infected web page. Interesting question. In the windows environment Microsoft drop security updates so stay with windows 10 and you're pretty safe. Android, well the latest version is seven and it contains lots of security updates. However even if you purchased a Google device such as Nexus 7 you may be limited to Android 5 or 6 which are not as secure. Many phones are never updated and typically run version 4 but here are plenty of version 2 phones. The updates are not available. In the Apple environment I understand some machines can be updated and some are stuck on an older version of the operating system.

I think you just have to live with the risks. I'd be reluctant to use a phone for purchases or to access my bank account.

Cheerio John

John, with every respect to your above posting, but Windows phones of any version now make up only one percent of the worldwide smartphone market. Android however now make up nine out of every ten smartphones sold worldwide. Here in the UK very few high street phone retailers even stock Windows phones in stores any longer and should anyone require one they have to be specially ordered online. Therefore for almost all smartphone buyers the choice is either Google Android or Apple IOS

In regard to email security with Android or IOS the advice is always the same. That advice would be, always have a recognized antivirus app on your phone and scan all attachments that are contained within an email. Along with the foregoing, should an email contain a link to a website that is not known to you, then do not follow that link unless you are sure the site is secure and has relevance to the content of the email.

The vast majority of emails sent at present are business or work related, and employers (who very often supply the phones to their employee) always instruct those employees not to place website links into company related emails. Email links are always the weakest point in any company IT security and severe disciplinary action is taken against any employee who compromises that security by visiting unauthorised or “dodgy” websites on a company supplied phone.

In regard to internet banking on smartphones, many millions worldwide use their phones every day for the purpose of carrying out their banking making it the most widely used form of accessing bank accounts. Security in that is very much in the hands of those that hold those accounts and use their smartphones to access them. To always use a strong password or pin number is the best advice in regard to older phones and change them at regular intervals.

However, in the above the latest Android phones come with fingerprint recognition and as realized a fingerprint is individual to each person. Banking apps are developing so that a user has to keep their finger on the recognition sensor of the phone throughout the transaction. As the latest phones have that sensor on the rear of the phone that is easily carried out making that the most secure system available or ever likely to be available on a smartphone.

In the above, for those who wish to have the highest security for any internet use, then the most proven system for that security is Google OS (not to be confused with Google Android). Google OS is only available on Google laptops (known as Chromebooks) or Samsung, LG or Acer built desktops (known as a chromebase). As the operating system is 100% clouds based that means that every keystroke made on the device passes through the Google servers and is security checked. Every item entering into a device running Google OS is also passed by way of the Google servers and therefore security checked before being passed. No antivirus software is required in any way when using this operating system

Google OS is the only operating system never to have been hacked or compromised in any way even though Google regularly offer large rewards to anyone who can compromise the system. The only downside is that Google get to know everything about its users by way of all items passing through its servers and they certainly use that information as you notice by way of their targeted advertising. However, if anyone wants the best proven security available Google OS is the way to go in my humble opinion.

Google OS is now the fastest growing operating system on the market making huge strides in the business and education sectors. Of course it does rely on a good broadband connection but as those connections roll out worldwide so the OS grows.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi everybody.

John, with every respect to your above posting, but Windows phones of any version now make up only one percent of the worldwide smartphone market. Android however now make up nine out of every ten smartphones sold worldwide. Here in the UK very few high street phone retailers even stock Windows phones in stores any longer and should anyone require one they have to be specially ordered online. Therefore for almost all smartphone buyers the choice is either Google Android or Apple IOS

In regard to email security with Android or IOS the advice is always the same. That advice would be, always have a recognized antivirus app on your phone and scan all attachments that are contained within an email. Along with the foregoing, should an email contain a link to a website that is not known to you, then do not follow that link unless you are sure the site is secure and has relevance to the content of the email.

The vast majority of emails sent at present are business or work related, and employers (who very often supply the phones to their employee) always instruct those employees not to place website links into company related emails. Email links are always the weakest point in any company IT security and severe disciplinary action is taken against any employee who compromises that security by visiting unauthorised or “dodgy” websites on a company supplied phone.

In regard to internet banking on smartphones, many millions worldwide use their phones every day for the purpose of carrying out their banking making it the most widely used form of accessing bank accounts. Security in that is very much in the hands of those that hold those accounts and use their smartphones to access them. To always use a strong password or pin number is the best advice in regard to older phones and change them at regular intervals.

However, in the above the latest Android phones come with fingerprint recognition and as realized a fingerprint is individual to each person. Banking apps are developing so that a user has to keep their finger on the recognition sensor of the phone throughout the transaction. As the latest phones have that sensor on the rear of the phone that is easily carried out making that the most secure system available or ever likely to be available on a smartphone.

In the above, for those who wish to have the highest security for any internet use, then the most proven system for that security is Google OS (not to be confused with Google Android). Google OS is only available on Google laptops (known as Chromebooks) or Samsung, LG or Acer built desktops (known as a chromebase). As the operating system is 100% clouds based that means that every keystroke made on the device passes through the Google servers and is security checked. Every item entering into a device running Google OS is also passed by way of the Google servers and therefore security checked before being passed. No antivirus software is required in any way when using this operating system

Google OS is the only operating system never to have been hacked or compromised in any way even though Google regularly offer large rewards to anyone who can compromise the system. The only downside is that Google get to know everything about its users by way of all items passing through its servers and they certainly use that information as you notice by way of their targeted advertising. However, if anyone wants the best proven security available Google OS is the way to go in my humble opinion.

Google OS is now the fastest growing operating system on the market making huge strides in the business and education sectors. Of course it does rely on a good broadband connection but as those connections roll out worldwide so the OS grows.

Bill

I don't recall specifying smartphones, Windows and Android are available on a variety of platforms including desktops.

I think you're confusing secure with what people do. Just because millions use an app to access their bank account doesn't mean its secure. Tescos for example.

Fingerprints, well yes but you can lift a fingerprint off a glass surface and create a mould from it. The moulds read reasonably well.

My favourite security tale at the moment, the Met police in London have worked out how to gain access to someone's Apple smartphone or tablet, you wait until the suspect is using it then grab the phone and keep it active. You don't need the password.

I think you're missing a point on the web site side. When you enter a web address it goes to a DNS server to be resolved. Many of the DNS servers do not have their security patches so without HTTPS you don't actually know if you've been directed to the correct web site or not. Beyond that it is very difficult to secure a web site. Most US banks for example have web sites that are vulnerable to having code added.

Strangely enough people running TANE often have a windows machine. These windows machines can run a variety of email packages. Unlike smartphones you don't have to change the machine often to keep them secure or did I misunderstand you?

If you were referring to passwords then the latest research on passwords recommends the use of a root password that has something added per site. The researchers found that forcing people to change their password frequently meant they used weaker simpler passwords.

Cheerio John

Back