GTX 1060 vs RX 480 - Who Wins NOW???

First did they test the 6 gig or 3 gig version of the GTX 1060?

Second the GTX 1060 I think slurps less power which is always good.

Third N3V will almost certainly have taken advice from nVidia when coding the game.

So although the RX 480 may produce reasonable results I think with TANE the GTX 1060 has the edge.

Cheerio John

Watching the video I noticed from the displayed charts that the OC EVGA 1060 was a 6gb version.

Looks to me like a drivers war, Nvidia may yet improve it's drivers? Then so might AMD, and so on and soforth until they bring out new GPU chips.

Rob.

I noticed that lately Nvidia has been rapid fire dropping drivers lately. I am a bit curious if this is part of the reason why...

Isn't the 480 the higher end card, and the 1060 the lower end card? Just wanted to point that out. Might wait it out, for the AMD 490s.

Last edited:
Isn't the 480 the higher end card, and the 1060 the lower end card? Just wanted to point that out.

Both AMD and nVidia have faster GPUs. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html whom I normally trust rates the nVidia 1060 above the 480 but having said that I'm seeing interest in the 1070 and 1080 amongst Trainz enthusiasts looking to put a new machine together. The 1070 is around $400 and the 1080 around $600.

Cheerio John

I've just ordered a 1070 for my new PC - less brute force than the 1080, but appears to be still well ahead of comparable AMD cards.

Paul

I've just ordered a 1070 for my new PC - less brute force than the 1080, but appears to be still well ahead of comparable AMD cards.

Paul

Nice one! I now wish I had bought the 1070, as opposed to a 1060. Nevertheless, the 1060 is a beast (mini beast) and a quantum leap over the AMD HD6870 I had previously!

I will wait for the next generation GPU, probably the next one after that, before I update again.

Rob.

Last edited:
Paulsw2 - Congrats! I just love my GTX 1070 - It runs T:ANE extremely well and smoothly at very high frame rates with all of the performance features turned right up!
Shows T:ANE's graphics to be even better than the much-maligned Kickstarter promotion 'target graphics' simulated image.

This is a great era for PC enthusiasts, as modern graphics cards are so much more powerful yet efficient these days. You're no longer buying a wanna-be room heater.
The roadmaps for 'Next Gen' cards from both AMD and NVidia look very impressive for those who are waiting for even better performance and value for money.
In the meantime, I am really enjoying this current generation of cards for what they bring to railroad simulation!

Well, it arrived today and tomorrow is the setup, so fingers crossed! I'm hoping I'll finally be able to join the TANE community and get back to route building.... ;)

Paul

I'm planning on purchasing a new GPU soon, but the 1060 and the RX480 are a bit out of my budget. I've been thinking about the 1050Ti or the RX470. What do you guys think?

Matt

I'm planning on purchasing a new GPU soon, but the 1060 and the RX480 are a bit out of my budget. I've been thinking about the 1050Ti or the RX470. What do you guys think?

Matt
I just recently got the 1050TI and I love it. It clearly makes everything run a lot smoother. The only drawback I have seen about it was it is NOT SLI ready. got to go 1060 or higher for SLI. But a single 1050TI is more than enough GPU for Trainz to run better than the old 660's I had. Even seems better for other games I use. (Sins of A Solar Empire for example) I cannot say anything about ATI as I have used Nvidia cards since day 1.

"Word to the wise'

If you are considering getting one of the latest NVideo cards, say either a 1060, 1070, or 1080, first measure how much room you have in your existing case. (length wise). I've come across two cases of late where mates have rushed out an purchased either a 1070 or 1080, only to find that they where to long to fit into their existing PC cases... (one mate ended up getting a bigger case & the other went back to the retailer and was able to swap it for a shorter length video card).

Both mates could have avoid this hassle if only they had measures how much room they had in there existing cases to fit a new video card.

The maximum amount of room they had for a new card was 285mm. (the cards they had brought where in the 290mm to 300mm length range). Luckily some manufactures still make video card lengths of 1060 to 1080 below 285mm. EVGA is a good example.

Haven't had anything to do with 1050's, so I don't know there lengths...

Cheers, Mac...

Last edited:
If you are considering getting one of the latest NVideo cards, say either a 1060, 1070, or 1080, first measure how much room you have in your existing case. (length wise). I've come across two cases of late where mates have rushed out an purchased either a 1070 or 1080, only to find that they where to long to fit into their existing PC cases.
It might not just be the length of the case. For instance, there are motherboards where you lose access to one or two SATA headers if the card extends too far beyond the end of the slot, even with the angled 'low profile' connectors.

Back