Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My CSA Challenger, NYC H10b Mikado and PRR T-1 Projects

Whoa whoa whoa...slow down bucko. One of the biggest rules in modelling is to pace yourself. Don't go rushing into doing more than maybe 2 projects at maximum. It's a surefire way to burn yourself out, which leads to you making shortcuts, which leads to you getting lazy, which leads to below-average models. Start with one engine at a time at least.

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001trainz2010 View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa...slow down bucko. One of the biggest rules in modelling is to pace yourself. Don't go rushing into doing more than maybe 2 projects at maximum. It's a surefire way to burn yourself out, which leads to you making shortcuts, which leads to you getting lazy, which leads to below-average models. Start with one engine at a time at least.
    Agreed, Id like to point out that its foolish to want to make payware without having any models for people to play with to judge your skills. As for the project list ya have, K&L already has K4's, CB&Q O5B, N&W A Class, E6's while there is bill's old H-9 on the dls.

I agree with the 2 previous posts. You have to finish a couple then release them as freeware, you might even have to do quite a few before making a payware asset. Also, if you get frustrated with a project, perservere and try to figure the issue out. Or even better, ask for help, I am fairly sure that there are plenty of excellent content creators who would not mind giving you some useful advice to help you complete your projects.

A suggestion that myself and most other content creators would give you would be to start with something simple, texture it, maybe do an animation and export it to trainz so that you get some experience going through that process. You may also even want to figure out how to turn that simple mesh into a train car, basically you would be adding the necessary attachment points in order for it to function as a train car.
    My attitude =/= The Back Shop's Attitude
    Models, Scripts and dependencies.

United States of America, Colorado, Avada

my DLM stated that your USAR 2-8-2 may be damaged.
    Hello from the Centennial State.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dundun92 View Post
    Uptrainz is proud to announce its next 4 projects: A Payware Southern Ps4, a Freeware PRR H9 and I1, and a Payware NYC J3a with Commodore Vanderbilt and Dreyfuss casings.
    Will they be baked?

Quote Originally Posted by chris2001trainz2010 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trainman7616 View Post
    Agreed, Id like to point out that its foolish to want to make payware without having any models for people to play with to judge your skills. As for the project list ya have, K&L already has K4's, CB&Q O5B, N&W A Class, E6's while there is bill's old H-9 on the dls.
    Quote Originally Posted by USSc1798 View Post
    I agree with the 2 previous posts. You have to finish a couple then release them as freeware, you might even have to do quite a few before making a payware asset. Also, if you get frustrated with a project, perservere and try to figure the issue out. Or even better, ask for help, I am fairly sure that there are plenty of excellent content creators who would not mind giving you some useful advice to help you complete your projects.

A suggestion that myself and most other content creators would give you would be to start with something simple, texture it, maybe do an animation and export it to trainz so that you get some experience going through that process. You may also even want to figure out how to turn that simple mesh into a train car, basically you would be adding the necessary attachment points in order for it to function as a train car.
    Don't worry, I can handle it. I have made addons for two other games, and they turned out quite well(though I didn't release them). Also, i am actually quite skilled with 3D modeling, having worked with 4 different software. Trainz is not the first game I've 3D modelled in.

Quote Originally Posted by kaeksa2423 View Post
    my DLM stated that your USAR 2-8-2 may be damaged.
    What does CMP say is wrong with it?

United States of America, Colorado, Avada

Error: Unable to read config file for asset at 'usra light 2_8_2/'
    Hello from the Centennial State.

Don't worry, I can handle it. I have made addons for two other games, and they turned out quite well(though I didn't release them). Also, i am actually quite skilled with 3D modeling, having worked with 4 different software. Trainz is not the first game I've 3D modelled in.
    That's great.

I could go on a ten-minute ramble about how this has happened to other aspiring content creators and how it's never turned out well and how they've all become the basis for examples of what NOT to do when modelling, but why bother...

Are you doing one wheel at a time or are you doing them all at once? If you are doing them all at once, that would explain why the center is a wee bit wacky.
    My attitude =/= The Back Shop's Attitude
    Models, Scripts and dependencies.

Just a quick question: Do you have permission to use Ben's textures? If not you might want to contact them.

Also I would recommend taking screenshots on your computer. Use Control-Print Screen (Ctrl-PrtSc) Right-click or use Ctrl-V to paste into a blank image file, jpeg or otherwise and save. They you can upload it to a image site (I use hosthenpost) and copy the link here.

Quote Originally Posted by USSc1798 View Post
    Are you doing one wheel at a time or are you doing them all at once? If you are doing them all at once, that would explain why the center is a wee bit wacky.
    Nope, I was doing it one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by daylightrain View Post
    Just a quick question: Do you have permission to use Ben's textures? If not you might want to contact them.

Also I would recommend taking screenshots on your computer. Use Control-Print Screen (Ctrl-PrtSc) Right-click or use Ctrl-V to paste into a blank image file, jpeg or otherwise and save. They you can upload it to a image site (I use hosthenpost) and copy the link here.
    These textures came with his steam construction kit.

Blog Entries

looking good man

Thanks ktain.ny!