NS Sleeper Technology

matruck

Dirty Deeds
I've not seen this mentioned before but thought sum may find it interesting. NS are certainly thinking outside the square.
Cheers Mick.

Green PR.

I mean I understand the gist here but - I look at it this way: You stopped the locomotive from idling all day when it isn't on the job, but you used energy from the power grid which had to be generated somewhere... For NS it was likely generated by burning something. Now - I get that it may not have taken as much energy and so on - meaning that running the locomotive prime mover all day at idle may not produce the exact same energy output that generating power at the plant did. But really I have no idea if it didn't require more energy either. Those are the things they leave out. The intent of these PR films always seems to be 'see we stopped the emissions, job well done' without telling us how much of that was simply off-loaded to someplace else. In this case the power plant, which had to burn more fuel to generate electricity, which in turn probably caused the railroad to have to deliver more fuel to the plant, which probably caused some more locomotives to be running. Locomotives burn WAY more fuel when they are actually working vs sitting idle.

Any reduction is good, but in my view you just have to think - was anything really reduced?

Back