Thread: .trainzmesh File Format

Default .trainzmesh File Format

Please publish the file format details of the new *.trainzmesh file when it is finalised for retail release.

I have a number of tools that use meshes as data so I will have lots to do to update them (Andi's AssetX included)

Hi Peter,

The file format isn't finalised so it's probably a bit premature to be releasing the details, however I'll leave this post open and come back to it once we've released.

cheers,

chris

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    Hi Peter,

The file format isn't finalised so it's probably a bit premature to be releasing the details, however I'll leave this post open and come back to it once we've released.

cheers,

chris
    Great, thanks Chris.. I'm happy to wait for a release version.

Chris,
    I notice that you have not used the chunk-size number immediately after the chunk names in the ANIMATION files. Is this an accidental omission OR have you changed the usage of those four bytes??

I also note the addition of another position vector (3 floats) in the FRAM chunks.. What do I call that?

Thanks

The KIN file layout hasn't really changed, however fields unused by the T:ANE reader are no longer initialised by the writer. This means that the T:ANE-generated files are not usable in TS12, where the fields probably are used, but that's true of any of our file formats- forwards compatibility is never guaranteed.

chris

Quote Originally Posted by WindWalkr View Post
    The KIN file layout hasn't really changed... snip
    Well not much anyhow.

I understand the non-use of the chunk size numbers... thanks.

However I find one new 4 byte field at the end of the INFO chunk with an integer value of 2 in my example kin. INFO chunk version number now 256 (as int)

As well, I find the three new 4 byte real numbers (floats) at the end of each FRAM chunk. You have incremented the the chunk version number of the FRAM chunk to 101

What is the purpose of these?
    Last edited by PEV; January 5th, 2017 at 07:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PEV View Post
    However I find one new 4 byte field at the end of the INFO chunk with an integer value of 2 in my example kin.
    There's nothing new at this location. You may be looking at one of several different fields depending on the file version and the flags specified.

INFO chunk version number now 256 (as int)
    This is possibly simply an indicator to prevent TS12 attempting to load the file. Alternatively, it's not new.

As well, I find the three new 4 byte real numbers (floats) at the end of each FRAM chunk.
    Probably the scaling values. These are not new.

You have incremented the the chunk version number of the FRAM chunk to 101
    This isn't new to T:ANE.

chris

Thanks Chris.
    Its a in my decoder now.. I will just have to try to keep up with changes.

FYI, I am boning up on the FBX files to understand the meanings of all the various fields. The AutoDesk utility converts them to the ASCII version so looking at them becomes easy. And Win10 includes a viewer which is great; saves loading another or, worse still, writing one.

Hi Chris,
    I'm bumping this thread in the hope that you have something for me on the .trainzmesh file format.