NARM WIP/Content at work

Baking textures. (Specifically ambient occlusion.)
e027abc88964d71bf06c1bf292ede21d.jpg

If anyone is wondering what the random cubes are for, they are "empties" which will function as attachment points in Trainz.
Now to finish the inside of the cab, UV mapping the frame and cylinders, and the daunting task of UV mapping the pipes and handrails...
Oh, and the driver animation... Apparently its not as hard as I originally thought it was. At first, I thought that I had to individually animate each rod. When in reality, I can simply use bones to animate the drivers. :eek:

After that, im practically home free!
Excluding the tender, I have mostly been working on the FEF-3 locomotive and figuring out animations. In addition to creating/upgrading and releasing some of my parts 3d parts at NARM

Last edited:
Hello all,

update coming in...

I got the pilot and trailing trucks (with animations and animdist) exported as bogies and usable. However, I may need to move the trailing truck forward a bit. (Please note that the drivers and tender are not mine. I am still learning how to animate drivers but I hope that I can get mine exported and usable soon.)

Also, I found that the tbumpenv material type is really finnicky. For example, for whatever reason, when I was using it colored areas (through the diffuse map) would appear as black and white. I then tried using tbumpgloss (I changed my textures to fit the material type as outlined HERE. However, when I used this material type, the meshes always became 100% invisible. I then tried tbumptex and it seems to be working just fine. This means that these are bump mapped, diffuse mapped, and specular mapped. I am actually quite impressed with how it looks so far considering this is my first actual locomotive
67a30fbb14e5e60c490329d920da6c39.jpg

4bed014bac4eeee695481feec4705755.jpg

On another note, I have applied lilbscript to the locomotive to allow ARN, removable Ears, removable mars light, (will do classification lights once I figure it out. Unless someone could perhaps fill me in as to how to do it???) the coupler also rotates, the bell swings when the bell is activated, and cab windows and doors are in the works. I am also thinking about having it be able to have multiple skins. (I.E. clean, slightly weathered, weathered.)

Also, because I plan to make this donation-ware/payware and these locos use his script libraries, sound libraries, coronas and smoke textures, I have emailed lilb asking for permission to release the locos as donation-ware/payware while still using his libraries, coronas, etc.

Last edited:
Even for TS12, those are some pretty nifty pics there hiawathamr!

This exported faster and easier than I thought it would... I thought that I might have to "fight" the thing as I had to when exporting the FEF-3, but nope, quick and clean export. Cool!
d22a74b8c2f1c0a5a2adafe27f3fa98b.jpg

Yep, its an FEF-1.
Please note that this is using the FEF-2/3 drivers and trailing truck as the FEF-1 drivers and trailing truck are still being built/animated. Also, the tender is not mine. I would also like to thank Trainboi1 for providing some excellent tips on specularity. Implementing these tips made it look better. However, I am still figuring out how to get that "wavy" look to it.

Last edited:
Current WIP. There is going to be Conrail and Conrail Quality versions, 10 numbers per scheme. Some clean and some weathered.

2e2014049cc3553f4a08955c6e87dd2a.png

Nice work Trainman10!

Now, a question...
Do you prefer
Coal?...
2edc1165e6cadb08decb510ee1fcf7f2.jpg

Or Oil?
5ae8ff2dc15481aea30eceefa7417d16.jpg

Please pardon the tender trucks in the wrong position, also, note that they are not mine....

Hello all,

I have made some progress on my FEFs recently.
First, I have created TTG-Y and TTG-S skins for the locomotives, also, have applied skin changer to the locomotives so that users can select how weathered and beaten they want the locomotive to look. I am also in the process of applying this to the tenders. I have also organized the meshes and textures into libraries.
68a54abee417b4bdeb240ac94e15a062.jpg

268163b15d943f48f1f66daad3af6cd3.jpg

This might be of some interest to some people, but the three locos in the following image are actually all the same asset. Just with different settings. These settings also apply to the other locomotives as well. (Excluding the tenders of course.)
52c8cb2dad2455215e2b7aa435d4fbfb.jpg

Take care folks!

Last edited:
Back