I missed my Trainz 15th anniversary! 15 YEARS!!!

narrowgauge

92 year oldTrainz veteran
On November 8th 2001 my copy of Trainz was shipped. I did not realise then what an all-consuming factor it would be in my life. 15 years! Nearly a sixth of my life (a 5.8th to be precise).

As a matter of interest to those who worry about the cost of Trainz now, back then, that first copy was shipped for $AU109. What would that be in present day cost of living values.

Thank you, Auran (and then N3V) you kept me thinking and involved, I owe you one!

Peter

Goodness, Peter. Has it really been that long? I picked up UTC in 2003 (I think it was anyway), so I'm not that far behind you. Heck, it took us 3.5 years to produce the first version of the DHR.

And a Happy Anniversary to you.

Bill

On November 8th 2001 my copy of Trainz was shipped. I did not realise then what an all-consuming factor it would be in my life. 15 years! Nearly a sixth of my life (a 5.8th to be precise).

As a matter of interest to those who worry about the cost of Trainz now, back then, that first copy was shipped for $AU109. What would that be in present day cost of living values.

Thank you, Auran (and then N3V) you kept me thinking and involved, I owe you one!

Peter

Happy Anniversary Peter,

I just hope I can last as long. Cheers mate!

Roy

Wow Peter,

That is life time ago!

I'm so happy you have been able and still find joy in this program called Trainz!

Happy Anniversary!

Linda

AU$158.82 in today's money.
I remember 2001. Haven't discovered Trainz yet but was beginning to mess around in MSTS. Also, haven't discovered how to brake. :hehe:

Congratulations, Peter!

That's quite an anniversary. It's truly amazing how fast time goes by when involved in projects. What is truly amazing is the continuous interest in the same product, which is unlike many, many other programs on a computer system today. The fact that this program has remained, in its various iterations, for as long as it has on the systems is amazing as well. The only other programs which do that are Office like programs, or the operating system its self.

I've been with Trainz not quite as long, at a full 13 years on December 28th when I got my first copy of TRS2004 at the long gone CompUSA store. It cost $29.95 which was about average for most games in those days. The same games at that price are would be $50.00 US and up.

I too had MSTS at that time and tried as I could to make routes. It would crash randomly when I tried route building, and setting up activities as they're called, which made it very frustrating to use. During that time I picked up the Paint Shed product for MSTS but found it awkward to use, however, more importantly was the www.auran.com web address on the package which I promptly took a look at. I was amazed at the models and the vibrant community. I remember the early discussions about the program being modular with and the idea of the now famous Puzzle pieces. Though not a member of the early forums, I watched from afar and read the various posts. I remember Greg Lane, John Banks, and many others at the time bantering back and forth about the early Trainz version. There was a lot of silly bantering back and forth as well as the serious talk, however, it was a warm and welcoming forum at the time.

Then the demo was released... I downloaded it immediately and gave it a whirl around. I found the simple British Rail loop track to be somewhat boring, but the graphics were "cool" and better compared to MSTS. The fact that I could easily modify that route and play around with it made it better, and the fact that I could take over any train and move around made things so much better than MSTS. And even better - I could create my own route easily, though my tests were really, really crude. The problem though was my machine which would crash quite often due to my old ATI Radeon 8500 video card. I kept following Auran at the time and kept my fingers on the forum as a lurker. When TRS2004 was announced, I went for it and by then I had a new NVidia video card then which worked perfectly. The rest is history...

John

That's quite a milestone NG - congratulations and lets hope you have many more years yet !

Cheers

Chris M

My but time flies when you're having fun. I still remember the summer of 2002 when I was struggling with MSTS. One day I was wandering around my local computer store when I saw a box from Auran. After reading the blurb on the back I found their forum. After convincing myself that it was a serious program, I bought it and as they say, the rest is history. Amazing that after all this time, many of us are still here and having fun.

Back