Information about Andi06

well, another great trainzer gone. He will be missed. I've used the superscript for 3 years now, and it's been the perfect script for my locos.

Sincere condolences to Andi's family, he was a corner stone of our community.

Not only was Andi06 a great contributor with a vast array of fine models (mostly listed under AJS), to his name, but an inventor too, who showering us with gifts of all sorts. Carriage Couplings, working traffic lights, and much much more besides. He engineered so many animated bits and pieces for our Trainz and Road traffic models that it's difficult to find a model today which does not use Andi's scripts or codes.

I like many others have a lot of his work and what fine work it was. He will be sadly missed by many here, that''s for sure.

My most grateful thanks Andi, you brought much pleasure to the whole of the trainz community.​

Just picked up on this sad news. My deepest condolences to all his family at this sad loss for them. Andi06 will be a legend in the Trainz community for all he did and gave us. As a UK modeller, like many of us, I depended heavily on Andi's work. He was so generous with his outstanding skills and knowledge to this community. A deep loss indeed.

RIP

Yorkshire

I have always used a lot of Andi's content on my routes. I am very sorry to read he passed away. Thank you for your great work Andi. Rest in peace.

If Steve06 checks this, please post if you still have access to andi's trainz assets or update us on how you progressed with making them available somehow, some time.

The reason I am asking is that they appear to be under no-one's care for updating and I saw elsewhere a request for updating the bogies. While a reply was made to the effect that the Content Repair Group (CRG) might agree to help if the asset was faulty, I think that an update/upgrade might not happen if there is no "fault" since I guess that the CRG has its hands full. I don't expect that workload will reduce when "TSR2019" lands in Q4. Steve06 mentioned quite some time ago that he would look at making the assets available sometime somehow, in my opinion not in the sense of the DLS but to an asset creator, organisation or N3V. Having someone taking Andi's assets under their wing might be the way to ensure a longer survival for them. That may (or may not) be served by N3V making them "Auran" assets. However, if Steve06 has not proceeded or N3V has not acted then it would seem Andi's assets are adrift.

OK, johnwhelan is of the opinion that andi06's bogies need attention for future Trainz versions. That sort of stuff is beyond my skills but maybe someone could oblige. It would be a tragedy to lose these assets! N3V wouldn't care less!

Rob.

OK, johnwhelan is of the opinion that andi06's bogies need attention for future Trainz versions. That sort of stuff is beyond my skills but maybe someone could oblige. It would be a tragedy to lose these assets! N3V wouldn't care less!

Rob.

They will work that is not the concern. When they were created it wasn't well understood or documented that in order to limit the animation to when the wheels were in sight an lm.txt file should be used on the bogey. Also many models did not cull bogies so being able to either remove it in the bogey asset at a 3 km viewing distance or slip in a block into the lm.txt file would reduce the machine impact. So if you are running with a liquid nitrogen cooled GTX 1080 TI then there is no problem. If you are running on a GTX 1050 TI then these changes would give you a slightly better frame rate but you wouldn't notice any difference in the model. So it's more can we improve the performance without throwing more hardware at it.

It's not just andi06 bogeys by the way but practically all bogies made around the same time. paulhobbs for example has updated one of his tenders for performance reasons with TANE and if Paul has taken such a step then that is usually a good indication it makes sense to do it. I have to go through mine as well but one was a reskin of one of andi's and that's where I picked up on the issue.

The fix is quite simple to do, there are no changes to the visuals. It doesn't cause an error or warning flag to be raised, well in the current version of TANE at least so the content repair crew may or may not decide its worth touching. They have a substantial backlog at the moment anyway and this is a more would be nice.

The issue came up when KotangaGirl reskinned an old mesh of mine that Bob Sanders had uploaded and wanted to upload it to the DLS. To do that it needed to be updated to 3.5 min which meant a clean up job and when I dug that's what turned up. I've updated one of my bogies so far which is used by a fair number of coaches but there are others and Andi's work is quite popular.

Cheerio John

If you look at kuid2:86627:1558:1

The config.txt file becomes

mesh-table
{
{
mesh "anim.lm"
auto-create 1
}

rather than an .im file.

The anim.lm.txt file is

version 1.0

offset = 0.01;
calcPoint = center;
multiplier = 1.0;
animationCutOff = 0.1;
renderCutOff = 0.02;

mesh("0.2")
{
name="blockbogey.im";
}
mesh("1.0")
{
name="bogey.im";
}

blockbogey.im is a simple textured cube that I created which can be used as an LOD in the distance but that line isn't essential. Rip it off the kuid mentioned above. It's the animationCutOff = 0.1 line that is important.

Cheerio John

If you cut off animation at 0.1 and the blockbogey is rendered at 0.2, this does not require animating blockbogey too?

I attempted to updates some very old bogeys, but I was forced to make animated meshes even for the minimum level LOD, otherwise the bogey didn't work.

If you cut off animation at 0.1 and the blockbogey is rendered at 0.2, this does not require animating blockbogey too?

I attempted to updates some very old bogeys, but I was forced to make animated meshes even for the minimum level LOD, otherwise the bogey didn't work.

I hadn't noticed that. The cut off values came from a paulhobbs lm.txt file and then I asked around in email group trainzcarriageworks about bogies and there I found an example of a none animated bogey. It appears the animation file matches the highest lod. So I played and the bogies are animated. Inspecting it more closely in driver I should have put the block farther out. Yet another small change.

Thanks John

I'm really sorry for the loss of Andi but it would be a shame that his work was lost!
For this reason is there a
JK Signal box <kuid:122285:75001> that is fault. So all the junctions of the Andi's JK junction kit are out of allignement. It is a pity, because junction kit is a master piece!
I think it is not impossible to repair it. I hope that the CRG find the way to fix it.

Goodbye Andi.

Back