Road bridges with long legs

rhban

Does anyone know of a road bridge with reasonably long uprights. There is at least one rail bridge like this, but none of the road bridges seems to reach the floor of my valleys. I was hoping to insert a screenshot here, but I have no idea how to create a url to an image on my desktop. I was using a rather nice brick viaduct, but one of my rail lines runs underneath it and then you can see how the poor thing just hovers in mid-air.

Since leaving TS-12 and Migrating to T:ANE, I have the same issue, 3/4 of my Bridges got Stumpy issues! It appears they 66% or more short on the Pier length....I unfortunately don't know how to fix them.....Wish us luck, they probably a lot more of us with this issue.....

Hi guys,

You can use rail bridges for road bridges as well. If you have a double track bridge you can lay one of Yarn's roads along with some side rails and make a road bridge out of a rail bridge. The screenshot below shows what I mean. The bridge on the left is a double track cantilever bridge that was perfect for my needs.

Jack

09ceb1faf82ef733eb0367a3be5d208b.png

I have done the same as Jack for a couple of bridges and they do look good. You can even go one step further and replace the track with a road spline then add on the railings if suitable.

For the OP's issue, there is a tag in the config.txt which controls this, however, I cannot remember what it is. Maybe one of the expert content creators can assist.

John

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think I have any YARN roads or a cantilever bridge, but now I know they exist, I'm sure I can find some.

Hi guys,

You can use rail bridges for road bridges as well. If you have a double track bridge you can lay one of Yarn's roads along with some side rails and make a road bridge out of a rail bridge. The screenshot below shows what I mean. The bridge on the left is a double track cantilever bridge that was perfect for my needs.

Jack

..For the OP's issue, there is a tag in the config.txt which controls this, however, I cannot remember what it is. Maybe one of the expert content creators can assist.

John

Based on the Wiki sentence I've highlighted in blue, I think it must be this config tag. Does this mean I'm now an expert?

"adjust-height-to-ground-threshold

Any vertex with a model-space Z value less than this threshold number will be adjusted based on the height of the ground under that vertex. The math behind the adjustment is roughly as follows:

outputVertexPosition.z = modelVertexPosition.z + adjustHeightToGroundOffset + groundHeight

Typically, this height adjustment is used when building a bridge or similar structure - the bulk of the model is maintained at the actual spline height, but the bottom vertices of the legs or supporting pillars are dropped to ground height."

Without a diagram to show how it really works, most of the Wiki's description is lost on me as usual. Whatever this tag does, it won't be valid if the trainz-build of the bridge precedes the version of Trainz which first introduced the tag. Also, such edits will only be local to the user's own computer.

Last edited:
Based on the Wiki sentence I've highlighted in blue, I think it must be this config tag. Does this mean I'm now an expert?

"adjust-height-to-ground-threshold

Any vertex with a model-space Z value less than this threshold number will be adjusted based on the height of the ground under that vertex. The math behind the adjustment is roughly as follows:

outputVertexPosition.z = modelVertexPosition.z + adjustHeightToGroundOffset + groundHeight

Typically, this height adjustment is used when building a bridge or similar structure - the bulk of the model is maintained at the actual spline height, but the bottom vertices of the legs or supporting pillars are dropped to ground height."

Without a diagram to show how it really works, most of the Wiki's description is lost on me as usual. Whatever this tag does, it won't be valid if the trainz-build of the bridge precedes the version of Trainz which first introduced the tag. Also, such edits will only be local to the user's own computer.

Hi Deane,

Of course you're an expert. :)

I realize the edits are local and perhaps over time the spline assets can be updated by the CRG (Content Repair Group) to include this addition at whatever build this was introduced, but for those of us that do not upload routes, it's something that we'd be more than happy to add to our assets. The only assets, unfortunately, that can't be modified are those now included in the DLC.

The problem is this used to work fine in previous versions so somewhere along the line this was removed from the defaults for bridge assets which is why we now have short legs on our bridges.

John

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a road bridge with reasonably long uprights. There is at least one rail bridge like this, but none of the road bridges seems to reach the floor of my valleys. I was hoping to insert a screenshot here, but I have no idea how to create a url to an image on my desktop. I was using a rather nice brick viaduct, but one of my rail lines runs underneath it and then you can see how the poor thing just hovers in mid-air.

Hi there,

I rand into the same issue, so I created what I call (copy / paste ) I-Bridge Base Pillar in your search!
These ranges 100m from the bottom base of any rail, track, or bridge!

Kind Regards
Ish

The length of the legs (piers) is fixed in the mesh. Usually the extra length is hidden underground but if the valley is too deep, the won't reach. The best you can do is to carefully add extensions, making sure they lineup with the existing bridge piers. There are several separate piers available that could be used or be creative like the above post and use other objects like the oil tanks.

Oh and you don't add a URL to your images on your computer. You have to save the images to a public available server and reference the image from there.

Last edited:
Thanks Ish for terrific Bridge Repair assets on DSL

Hi there,

I ran into the same issue, so I created what I call (copy / paste ) I-Bridge Base Pillar in your search!
These ranges 100m from the bottom base of any rail, track, or bridge!

Kind Regards
Ish

:D Thank you Ish so much for this reference,

;) Just went CM, then DLS and voila there is 12 there, downloaded all, and viewed about 1/2, already. And I see they should work great for my Stumpy Bridges, at least 1/2 or more in my route are plagued with this problem.

So rather than going to top of the mountain today, it looks like I have the Foundations for Bridge repair at hand now. I get to it and start fixing my poor Stumpy Bridges so my Engineers don't scared with unsafe Bridges.

:) This is why this Forum/Community again proves itself as such a great resource when us Trainzr's need help.........

Have a great holiday.

Back