Huddersfield Trams

robd

@MarkHodgkinson

I've downloaded and installed your Huddersfield tram models, they're superb, thank you.

One thing though has piqued my curiousity and that is the fact that tram no. 28 carries an advert for Yellow Pages.

I can't quite envisage any Huddersfield trams carrying an advert for Yellow Pages, as far as I know the trams were long gone before the advent of Yellow Pages in the UK, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Rob.

Last edited:
Huddersfield trams were withdrawn in 1940. The concept of Yellow Paged began in the USA in 1883 when a printer ran out of white paper! (This was also the year in which Huddersfield trams were introduced.) I don't know the answer to your question, but is it possible that yellow pages in the UK are older than we think?

Ray

Huddersfield trams were withdrawn in 1940. The concept of Yellow Paged began in the USA in 1883 when a printer ran out of white paper! (This was also the year in which Huddersfield trams were introduced.) I don't know the answer to your question, but is it possible that yellow pages in the UK are older than we think?

Ray

Wikipedia suggests that Yellow Pages appeared in the UK in the 70s, which matches my limited recollection of events.

The General Post Office (GPO) in Britain published the first Yellow Pages in Brighton in 1966, it went nation wide in 1973. In 1984 when the GPO telecom business became British Telecom (BT) Yellow pages became a subsidiary of BT. Peter

The General Post Office (GPO) in Britain published the first Yellow Pages in Brighton in 1966, it went nation wide in 1973. In 1984 when the GPO telecom business became British Telecom (BT) Yellow pages became a subsidiary of BT. Peter

Thanks, well after the demise of Huddersfield trams which, as ray_whiley says, was in 1940, so they couldn't have had Yellow Pages adverts on their sides, unless there's a preserved specimen that I don't know of.

Rob.

Thanks, well after the demise of Huddersfield trams which, as ray_whiley says, was in 1940, so they couldn't have had Yellow Pages adverts on their sides, unless there's a preserved specimen that I don't know of.

Rob.

If you mean a preserved Trolleybus or tram, apparently none survived... you never know though.. ;)

It seems that no Huddersfield tram survived, although three trolleybuses did. Maybe the tram with Yellow Pages advert was made for a fictional preserved tramway museum?

Ray

Back